Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lock Haven, Pa. Postcard I Found Today

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/01/2014   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was at the local antique shop today and while browsing through the boxes of postcards I found one from Lock Haven, Pa. (One of my old stomping grounds growing up.) I found it way up here in Clearfield Pa. which is one of the reasons I thought it so interesting. Also, I don't understand the meaning of the graphic? Can anyone explain maybe?

Lock Haven Pa.
1906 Doremus Type E cancel ~ Scott #300 {1 denomination of series 1902-03} ~ Wmk. 191 ~ Perf. 12

http://swansongrp.com/macht202.html

Front:

Back: (I erased the pencil notation and now there is no trace of it whatsoever!)

Send note to Staff
Edited by I_Love_Stamps - 05/01/2014 2:30 pm

Learn More...
6942 Posts
Posted 05/01/2014   3:20 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Every knock is a boost" is attributed to Elbert Hubbard and was a famous song 'back in the day'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mim0CnSdanA

Basically means that life may knock you down but it just makes you stronger.
don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by 51studebaker - 05/01/2014 3:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5877 Posts
Posted 05/01/2014   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice postcard ILS. I like it.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/01/2014   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Thank you so much for clarifying that. Now it makes sense to me.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/01/2014   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you look at the very bottom of the card illustration, you'll see the name "Douglass, 27 N. 10th St., Phila." as in the Douglass Post Card & Machine Company of Philadelphia.

That company was involved in a rather interesting copyright infringement case with the courts back in the day, the case for which is still cited today. For those not interested in the "legalese" of all the points involved, here's a summary:

Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/01/2014   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's food for thought isn't it? I wonder if that still holds true?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
741 Posts
Posted 05/02/2014   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Copyright law has evolved immensely since 1908. Back then copyright was 14 years, 28 if the author was alive. And works needed to be registered with the copyright office I believe. Now copyright is automatic, lasts the author's life + 70 years.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
741 Posts
Posted 05/02/2014   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now re-ready wt1's post I see it reads "uncopyrighted post cards are not entitled to protection as TRADE-MARKS. The registration of trademarks is a whole different subject than copyright. Sorry I missed the gist. I would imagine it still holds true.
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/02/2014   05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like your avatar SouthPaw! I love the M&M stamps!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
741 Posts
Posted 05/02/2014   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks ILS! Sounds like you're an equal opportunity stamp lover then! Have a great Friday!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05