Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Civil War Era Stock And Bond Acquisitons

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 5,352Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5124 Posts
Posted 05/03/2014   12:52 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Some stock certificates I've acquired over the last 6 months or so. While not as ornate as those of the late 19th and early 20th century, my area of focus is primarily Civil War era material.

From the mundane to the not so mundane...

And lastly, one that I've wanted an example of for quite some time. Affordable examples of this one are usually beat to hell and back; nice ones approach 4 figures and above. I managed to get this one for much less.

I wanted an example, not just for the signatories, but for the cancel attribution. I've seen this circled star cancel used on various 5-cent stamps, but without a use on document there was no context. It was only upon seeing this cancel in pictures of American Express stock certificates from this era that I made the connection.

What makes this so valuable is that it is signed by Henry Wells and William Fargo, the founders of Wells Fargo.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1822 Posts
Posted 05/03/2014   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fascinating collection, revenuecollector! Thanks for showing it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2728 Posts
Posted 05/03/2014   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Railroads and mining! A large chunk of our history.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 05/03/2014   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Panama Railroad became a very profitable venture. 49'ers paid $25 to ride the train or $5 to walk the rails. Walking the rails was not a walk in the park.
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 05/03/2014   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful engravings on some of those stock certificates (Scripophily, I believe is the name for that collecting discipline.)
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/03/2014   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm familiar with at least two of those mining companies and one Railroad. They had some history around my current area. Fascinating and some are very beautiful! Thank you Revenuecollector for scanning these!
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 05/06/2014   07:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan,

On your larger stock certificates, how do you scan them? Do you have an extra large scanner? I have a couple that are perhaps 16x24 and there is no way it'll fit on my scanner. At best, I might get a scan of just a part of the top.

Art
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5124 Posts
Posted 05/06/2014   08:34 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Art,

Something that large you're going to have to make multiple scans and digitally stitch them together, which is a ROYAL pain. The lighting refelections are never identical on multiple passes, and trying to rotate the images exactly right so they line up accurately is a virtually impossible task. There will almost always be a slight misalignment if someone looks closely.

My secondary scanner, a Fujitsu fi-5750c has a 12"x18" maximum image size, which is about the largest flatbed scanner on the market. There are larger scanners, but they tend to be floorstanding sheetfed scanners meant for scanning blueprints and are not appropriate for delicate materials. Also they are insanely expensive.

Even a good quality 11x17 or 12x18 flatbed is not going to be cheap. As I mentioned in this thread, the original list price for my scanner was almost $9,000, now findable on the used market for $300-600... which is actually dirt cheap for what it can do. It doesn't have the optical resolution of today's modern scanners, at only 600dpi native resolution, but for most purposes I would use it for, it is more than adequate. It's lightning fast as a scanner as well... much faster than I would have expected.

You could always try using a digital camera, but that has a host of problems: keeping the document flat, even lighting, etc.

I have not found a good solution for oversized documents. Sometimes you have to make due with only scanning portions. I have some large vellum indentures that I would love to image, but their large size combined with the stiffness of the material, makes it all but impossible.

The 12x18 image size on the Fujitsu is large enough to accommodate 95%+ of what I need to scan, which is close enough for govornment work. Dealing with an 8.5x11 or 8.5x14 max image size was just far too constraining.
Edited by revenuecollector - 05/06/2014 08:36 am
Rest in Peace
United States
1225 Posts
Posted 05/06/2014   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add artlaunier to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan, Thanks for the info. Some of my slave documents are getting in bad shape and I really need to scan them before they start falling apart. I'll try and see if I can photoshop them into 1 image, when I have a few hours to spend.

There is one document I have dated early 1800s that will always remain with me. "One Negro woman aged about 20 years named Alice, a slave for life." I have several others but that one, WOW, that says a lot in one sentence. This one has an RM revenue.

My larger stock certificates, I'll just make an image of the stamps and the perhaps the top of the document.

Art
Edited for content.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. (The exact & entire wording of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution)
Edited by artlaunier - 05/06/2014 1:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1153 Posts
Posted 07/01/2014   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are terrific! Thanks for posting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1153 Posts
Posted 10/06/2014   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a bond recently that is precisely Civil War era -- a Confederate States $500 bond from 1863. You find Union soldiers on many stocks and bonds from that period, but very few that depict Confederate soldiers.

Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 01/24/2015   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All of these are great!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 5,352Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05