Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Americana Great American Series

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 10,810Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 05/16/2014   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add acanalizo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Great site for help with Americana Great American Series:

http://www.1847usa.com/1980identifier.htm
Send note to Staff
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 05/16/2014 6:07 pm

Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 05/16/2014   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I put together this series with what I had in stock and was missing nine that I bought at mystic stamp company- very cheaply- 15 to 30cents on those stamps for used. On 5/1/2014 it was complete and I framed it and put it on my wall. I matted it somewhat with red and black construction paper and used a $2.00 frame from the thrift shop. I like to do sets like these to see instead of hiding in my usa stamp album where another set of these resides. I am working on the transportation series-i am missing 12 stamps and will hit mystic stamps up soon.- I see some have posted their complete (transportation) sets- they all look nice folks.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
589 Posts
Posted 05/16/2014   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add centerstage98 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks nice - a great series .. well done!
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 05/17/2014   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does look great but they will almost surely fade over time. Try to keep them out of direct sunlight. Great idea though!
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 05/17/2014   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice collection of covers next to Americana set. As ILS mentioned, they will fade, especially red ones. I am going to search for protecting stamps from fading to see what I can find.
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 05/17/2014   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That wall gets no sunlight. I used to work graveyard shift and am a bit of a nightowl in retirement and that hallway is at the back of the house never gets the sun.

Funny I thought about one of those covers was the son of the buggy business owner. He wrote this gal and hinted that he would be near her town on his father's business and that if she were to go shopping there he might see her, all the proprieties of 1875 of course. lol he was really dancing around wanting to see her but couldn't come out and say it for fear of offending.

Edited by LarryBruce - 05/17/2014 12:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 05/17/2014   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MarginBlocks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I congratulate you on your taste in fine philatelic art.
Pillar Of The Community
1542 Posts
Posted 05/17/2014   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pieces of art. My story took a different turn. In 1987, I received the supplement page for the next lot of Great Americans. It had just empty dashed boxes with no image or even a Scott number to go by. This was in retrospect the last nail in the coffin that made me want to stop keeping up, and concentrating on other things. I just put the stamps in wherever.

20 years later it started bugging me that this was never completely organized. I checked it out and I actually didn't have all those Great Americans (and transportation issues), I needed 3 or 4 for it to be actually complete. I was then able to write in the Scott numbers and have an actual space for each stamp.

-IBFS
All science is either Physics or Stamp Collecting. -- Ernest Rutherford
Pillar Of The Community
1542 Posts
Posted 05/17/2014   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I Brake For Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bruce, here is a forum discussing several apparently intelligent options regarding the fading of framed things.

http://photo.stackexchange.com/ques...-from-fading

-IBFS
All science is either Physics or Stamp Collecting. -- Ernest Rutherford
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 05/17/2014   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This series is even more interesting (i.e., fun) if you include all of the color, perf & tagging varieties. Although I think the Scott group may not have been entirely sober when they identified some of those color varieties.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1286 Posts
Posted 07/15/2014   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My recently completed Great American series:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 05/12/2016   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stampfan9,

How come you have 3 entries for the 28c Sitting Bull? Are they just duplicates? Or varieties?

Dave N.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2415 Posts
Posted 05/12/2016   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KGB to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't answer for stampfan, of course, but I do know that they say this about the Great American series:

"The series is characterized by a standard definitive size, simple design and monochromatic colors. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing produced most of the stamps, but some were printed by private firms. Several stamps saw multiple printings. The result is many different varieties, with tagging being the key to understanding them."
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3148 Posts
Posted 05/13/2016   06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I consider the Great Americans to be the last good classic style definitive series.

The Flora and Fauna, Distinguished Americans, and the dull ugly American Attic Junk quite unappealing.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
669 Posts
Posted 05/13/2016   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add graphis to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back in the 80's I sold my John Lennon autograph...a few years later I contacted the buyer to see if he could send me a photo or photocopy of it...he had it framed and sadly it faded!...now worthless!
I frame a lot of my favorite paper ephemera...nothing of any great value is exposed to direct sunlight...and anything I don't want to take a chance on exposing to daylight etc..i scan and make a photo print....which looks just as good or even better than the original.
Edited by graphis - 05/13/2016 08:57 am
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 05/15/2016   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ernie11 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's been a while since I looked at my collection, but I think at the time back then I assembled all of these in plate block or plate strip of 20 formats, with the possible exception of the many varieties. I always liked the designs.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 10,810Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05