Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postcards For Upcoming Memorial Day:

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1110 Posts
Posted 05/23/2014   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampfan9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All are unused.
Shown are my few memorial related postcards. All are unused.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 05/24/2014   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kathey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful old post cards commemorating an important Holiday! The linen post cards are particularly lovely.
Thank you for sharing these!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1110 Posts
Posted 05/24/2014   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kathey, you are most welcome.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3636 Posts
Posted 05/25/2014   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My friend Herb writes:

Quote:
Some persons are confused about Memorial Day. Let's clear it up. The Day is not about those who have served in the military in the past. That's Veteran's Day in November. It's not about those good and brave men and women in uniform today, that's Armed Forces Day a week ago. Memorial Day is the day we commemorate those who lost their lives in the service of their country.

Actually, we should honor those men and women every day, not just once a year. Sometimes we tend to forget that this day is not just the unofficial start of summer, or the time for picnics, and beaches and family get-togethers. This is a day to honor those people who stood up, raised their right hands and swore to "support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and domestic." Memorial Day honors those who died upholding that oath, thus protecting our rights established in the Constitution of the United States.

That doesn't mean you should not have your BBQ's or the rest of the festivities of the long weekend. But, it would be a good idea that once you and your friends and family are all together or even if you are by yourself, to take a few minutes to remember and pay tribute to those who have made this holiday possible.

Have A Wonderful Memorial Day!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3636 Posts
Posted 05/25/2014   02:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By luck-of-the-auction, I have a nice pile of cards from the Asheville Postcard Company (1910-?1977).

These two (for Memorial Day) are white-bordered linens, which is something of a mixed metaphor. Sadly, the quality runs closer to whites than linens.

I did not know there was another way to spell 'entrenchments'.

The things we learn in our pursuit of philately!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1110 Posts
Posted 05/25/2014   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeyPikey, very much enjoy seeing your cards.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3636 Posts
Posted 05/25/2014   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And yours, stampfan9. What are we doing for Father's Day?
Learn More...
6647 Posts
Posted 05/25/2014   11:19 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
By luck-of-the-auction, I have a nice pile of cards from the Asheville Postcard Company (1910-?1977).

Minor correction, the Asheville Post Card Company was formed in 1921 and ran until 1977. Lamar Le Compte, founder and owner, settled in Asheville in 1910 but worked in Smith's Drug Store through 1918. He probably started making and selling postcards about this time but did not form the company until 1921. When he passed in 1977 there remained a VERY (millions)large inventory of the post cards but I am uncertain of their disposition.
UNC-Asheville library has a large archive/collection of his products.
don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3636 Posts
Posted 05/25/2014   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51studebaker, Greetings:

I have also seen several references to their first appearance in the Asheville City Directory in 1921, and I would certainly agree that they seem to be missing from the 1918 directory:

http://toto.lib.unca.edu/findingaid..._direct.html

But I am not confident that this is conclusive evidence that, in a practical sense, the company did not yet exist.

For example, here are cards from the acknowledged predecessor Asheville Post Card and Pennant Company, postmarked in 1918:

http://www.mmpe.net/blueridge/apc004a02-r.html

http://www.mmpe.net/blueridge/apc005a01-r.html

It is easy enough to imagine why the company might be named "Asheville ..." and be omitted from the city directory, including being located in an unincorporated area outside the lawful city limits (hence, absent from the city directory) but inside the 'metro' area (hence, the name).

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3636 Posts
Posted 05/22/2015   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2015 bump begins with crossed flags by M W Taggart (1905-1910).

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3636 Posts
Posted 05/23/2015   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The legend reads: "The Monitor's Great Victory".

Not quite how I had remembered it.

The price of a revisionist education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_...,_New_Jersey ... Holly Beach NJ puts the South in South Jersey. Sorry about the smudgey cds. No wonder the town did not last long.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3636 Posts
Posted 05/24/2015   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My mother still calls it 'Decoration Day' ...

... and her School Teacher handwriting was as clear, but not as pretty as Bert's.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1110 Posts
Posted 05/24/2015   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know it sounds jingoistic but I love our flag.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05