Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hot Off The Press

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 4,416Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2498 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modern_who to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a fellow, in my stamp club who collects
only used US.

With these unsoakable newer issues, he purchases the self adhesives,
he then removes the stamps on each side of the middle stamp, and affixes them to envelopes for future mailings.

Trims the sides so that there is the backing paper to the left and right portion of the stamp.

Goes back to the PO, and gets a cds cancel on the stamp.

A Philatelic mind is a terrible thing to waste!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Larry, APS Member

Modern-Vue Stamps on eBay
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Your not going to believe this one !!

Postal workers have long done battle with Dobermans and inclement weather. Now a mail carrier in a small Massachusetts town has a dangerous new foe -- turkeys.

Mail delivery in the town of Rockport was recently halted by a gang of 10 turkeys (including two male ringleaders) who have been chasing and trying to peck a letter carrier along his route. For some reason, these fowl fiends have homed in on the postman and are targeting him in particular as he makes his daily rounds.

"Some of the neighbors said their dogs have been attacked, but mostly it's just been our postal truck," said the town's delivery master. "They chase the truck down the street -- two males in particular -- it's just unbelievable."

Following an incident on Jan. 15 where the gobblers chased the mailman, delivery to the area has been stopped. There are schemes on the table to ward off the turkeys with umbrellas, but for now the mail route has been deemed unsafe.
A Philatelic mind
is a terrible thing to waste
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1755 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   4:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add David Giles to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You guys get mail on Saturday

You're so spoiled.

Not only that, Dianne, but when I lived in Texas in 1995, you could place a letter in your mailbox, with the proper amount of postage affixed, and the letter carrier picked up that letter and took it back to the post office! Even if you did not have mail coming into your letterbox, he still did that.

USPS=Amazing service.

I am always surprised when I hear Americans complain about the USPS... they haven't dealt with Canada Post!

David
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do the same thing except I don't get them canceled. I hate when they tear them because the ends are sticky.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1566 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkfarm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess we could go back to the days there was no rural delivery too, why not , except that they will not do Saturday then where does it stop.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I felt so bad for the post office I went in a purchased a sheetlet of Year of the Ox stamps to help them out..i will send them to trading partners and friends who do not use meters on their mail to me !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2972 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamperdude to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I place mail in my mailbox with real stamps & an occassional cachet to be picked up by the carrier so he doesn't get bored just delivering advertisements and coupons to my neighbors. Plus he gets to bring me mail with colorful stamps on it.
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
..i will send them to trading partners and friends who do not use meters on their mail to me !

Phil..I agree 100 percent, any collector who sends mail using a meter stamp, should be subject to a public flogging
A Philatelic mind
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Flogging is for minor offenses Mr. News,sports and weather !
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fortitudine vincimus

Phil..is that a mushroom, or the name of the new Guatemalan President ?

By the way..Did you find Rick ?
A Philatelic mind
Edited by bobgggg - 01/29/2009 7:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
USA
2736 Posts
Posted 01/29/2009   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobgggg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A Philatelic mind
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9747 Posts
Posted 02/01/2009   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobgggg neither..its the Latin you are suppposed to say at Mass now with Benedict !!
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 02/02/2009   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add npfw70 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've heard this story, or one similar to it, for at least thirty years. Ever since the Postal Service became semi-independent they've trotted out the same tale of woe every year and Congress has to cough up the money to keep them going. The 'five' day delivery argument is facetious at best. Why not go to three days and really raise profits. It makes no sense. If you can't make it with six day delivery you are not going to become profitable with five day deliveries. Even if they succeed in getting Congress to go along with this I'll bet they'll be back every year with the same sad story to get their annual appropriation supplements. We now have instituted annual postal fee hikes, now possible delivery cuts...what next? It is like the educational system, a bottomless pit.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 12/19/2018   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So.. nearly 10 years ago. I wonder if we will see any changes.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 4,416Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05