Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hungarian Stamps With 3 Holes

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
50 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add sksvlad to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What's the meaning of 3 little centrally located holes in 1920's Hungarian stamps? They form an upward pointing triangle.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4166 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are called HARAMASLYUKKAL, I have a specialized collection of them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2733 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HARAMASLYUKKAL, can you explain and defined this! Magyar for Perfin? Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
544 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bamra1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How it worked was this: the Hungarian postal authorities set up an agency to sell stamps to dealers who wanted bulk quantities. For this they charged a markup of (I think) 20% over face. They then found that dealers were coming to Hungary, going into ordinary Post Offices and buying sheets of stamps at face. So they ordered that all sheets sent to the agency would be normal but all sheets sent to post offices would have a couple of rows punctured with a triangle.They assumed that ordinary customers wouldn't mind the holes in their stamp, but that collectors would not accept them, so dealers buying from Post Offices would not gain anything from buying sheets there because the punctured ones would be unsaleable and wasted.
Valued Member
50 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sksvlad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great explanation. Did any other country do this?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2733 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting! Thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A previous thread on this subject (http://goscf.com/t/29722) inspired me to create a specialized collection of these guys. Some of the ones I have are not listed in the Scott Classic Specialized catalog.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HungaryForStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Hungarian hármaslyuk translates to "triple hole" and so these stamps are referred to as "hármaslyukasztás"

Edit: and adding a noun case, hármaslyukkal means "with triple hole".
Edited by HungaryForStamps - 06/06/2014 12:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
845 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HungaryForStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And as I recall, the two center horizontal and vertical rows in the sheet were punched. There might be slight premium on the "catalog" value of the official stamps, but they are pretty common otherwise. I have a decent number of these mint and used alongside the unpunished mint and used from the 20's inflation period.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
Posted 06/05/2014   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pk-short to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great idea for some specialization with a new collection of Hungarian stamps - thanks!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26434 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
HARAMASLYUKKAL, can you explain and defined this!

Assuming we found them all, there are 79 stamps in the full set.

Edited by rod222 - 06/12/2019 3:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Assuming we found them all, there are 79 stamps in the full set.

My list has 100 issues with 3-hole punches (not including those overprinted for Western Hungary). I have 80 in my collection.

Robert
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a note in the Scott catalogue, between the listings for numbers 105 and 106. It confirms everything discussed above except the markup to dealers for the intact, non-perforated varieties, was 10% (not 20%). This note appears in the middle of 1916 issues, even though the affected stamps were issued in the period from 1921-24, so it might be easy to overlook.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26434 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My list has 100 issues with 3-hole punches (not including those overprinted for Western Hungary). I have 80 in my collection.

Right,
Your list would be from?
My list was from the late (and great ) Mr. Jay Carrigan he was open with not knowing the exact number.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2744 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

SG lists 100 different stamps with this triangle perforation including 30 postage dues and 21 officials.

This matches the count from Trainwreck who identified his source in the thread he quoted a few posts back.
Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 06/13/2019 9:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1190 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll copy my post from the previous thread here.

Quote:
I've done some research into these issues to determine how many different stamps have these holes. The Scott catalog is a good starting point, but it is incomplete. It's missing 5 official stamps with the 3-hole punch. I can't speak for the completeness of the S.G. or Michel catalogs. The most complete list, in my opinion, is the list in the May 1971 issue of The Perfins Bulletin. You can access that issue here: http://www.perfins.org/the-perfin-bulletin/. There are 100 different stamps on that list (not including the overprinted issues of Western Hungary).

The compiler of the list is L.S. Ettre. He wrote several articles in The Perfins Bulletin about these stamps. Check out the following issues if you would like more information: March 1971, May 1971, June 1971, November-December 1974, July-August 1976.

Robert
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05