Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Federal Duck Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 12,144Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 06/06/2014   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add acanalizo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Linn's announces the 2014-15 U.S. $15 Canvasbacks federal duck stamp will be issued June 27 in Washington, D.C., and nationwide. The stamp features a painting by Adam Grimm.

http://linns.com/news/us-stamps/552...buts-June-27

Send note to Staff
Albert

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 06/06/2014   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I want to know - really want to know - who all these "federal ducks" are - and why are they getting stamps in their honour? What about the local ducks.........are they always to be second fiddle to the Big Duck guys? And what about provincial ducks? Don't they deserve a break?

I see the USA association of Interior Designers also puts out stamps for these federal guys as well as Canada, but how do they know they aren't Canadian federal ducks just passing through? They are migrators after all. Does USA Homeland, Bushes and Ponds Security check their IDs when they set down? (DUCK I.D.) And what does HBP Security do if a duck's papers aren't in order? Send them back? I imagine the ducks will go along with that dumb idea. And I'll just betcha USA HPB Security dings them for duty on their consumed Canadian grain too. OK guys - fess up. What's with the federal ducks?

OH! And one last thing. What's with the huge double entendre there guys on "hunting" and "conservation"?? Either you is hunting, or you is not hunting. Or is that all about hunting federal ducks and conserving gun nuts? I needs to know.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by CanadaStamp - 06/06/2014 4:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 06/06/2014   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The word "Federal" means the US Dept of Fish & Wildlife Service. It was formally known as the Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp, and is an adhesive stamp required by the United States federal government to hunt migratory waterfowl such as ducks and geese. Federal Duck Stamps are vital tools for our wetland conservation. Ninety-eight cents out of every dollar generated by the sale of Federal Duck Stamps goes directly to purchase or lease wetland habitat for protection in the National Wildlife Refuge System. The Federal Duck Stamp is one of the most successful conservation programs ever initiated and is a highly effective way to conserve America's natural resources.Besides serving as a hunting license and a conservation tool, a current Federal Duck Stamp also serves as an entrance pass for national wildlife refuges where admission is charged. Today, many states issue their own duck stamps. In some states, the stamps are purely a collector's item, but in others, the stamps have a similar role in hunting and conservation as Federal Duck Stamps. In most cases, one needs a Federal and a State duck hunting license.

Many ducks which includes swans & geese migrate from the Arctic Circle & Canada to the United States during the winter season thus they are sometimes on our Federal Duck stamps.

Personally I would not kill a duck and wish they had a better chance as seen in this video: but I enjoy collecting the stamps.

PS the White Fronted Geese of Speckle-belly shown on this video are the subject to our Louisiana 2014-15 state duck stamp(license). They migrate from the Arctic Circle, Alaska & Canada down here in Louisiana in the winter.

azasoXQ-NwU
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 06/06/2014 6:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 06/06/2014   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CandaStamp - Ducks become Federal Ducks when they fly over National Parks or military bases. State ducks are those who have flown over state parks and lands. Simple enough.

APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8290 Posts
Posted 06/06/2014   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always thought it was based on who paid them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 06/06/2014   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Ducks become Federal Ducks when they fly over National Parks or military bases. State ducks are those who have flown over state parks and lands. Simple enough"

I almost took you seriously. You have a good sense of humor!

Funds generated from state duck stamps are designated for wetlands restoration and preservation, much like the federal duck stamp funds, but with a more localized purpose.
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 06/06/2014 9:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 06/12/2014   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulyann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By the way will anyone miss the artists signed panes, now that they no longer will be issued starting this year?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 06/12/2014   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Howdy Smauggle. Appreciate your input but your post raises more questions than answers.

1. What happens if a duck flies over a federal site and then a provincial or state site? Which takes precedence? Is A federal / provincial meeting necessitated to resolve?
2. What if said duck goes into the subject airspace and turns around? Is he then unducktified? Or simply undignified?
3. If you shoot a duck over a national park is the shooter being federally offensive? Is it only in sorry states that ducks are shot in the name of "conservation"? (we know the answer to that one is "no.")
4. Seriously, just how long do these people think they can continue to con the common folk with this talk about "conservation" when it is really all about blowing birds out of the air?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 06/12/2014   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Conservation"?

azasoXQ-NwU

ohNDVBEqp2o

Ducks do not have a chance with all the legal and non legal ways of attracting and killing them - really do not see the sport in
this - at least not the way it is presently done - the conservation is only for the land, certainly not for the ducks. Really enjoy the art on the duck stamps but not the way we are allowed to slaughter them.
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 06/12/2014 8:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 06/13/2014   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Acanalizo - the whole thing is a scam. The "conservation for the land" is to maintain habitat that attracts wildlife so it can be killed. Yet millions of people donate to these %^%%$$# people every year. It is a hunter's thing.It has nothing to do with conserving and protecting nature.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 06/28/2014   10:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are item #'s to order a single of 2014-15 Federal Duck stamps
from USPS:
335001 2014-15 Federal Duck Single Stamp
335104 2014-15 Federal Duck Self-Adhesive pane
541401 2014-15 Federal Junior Duck Single Stamp
Albert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1720 Posts
Posted 06/28/2014   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Normally I would NOT participate in a discussion such as this. But, having worked with the New York State DEC for a number of years I feel qualified to point out a few FACTS.

1) Without conservation of our wetlands their are no Ducks period. The Duck stamp program has purchased and aided in maintainance of MILLIONS of acres since the program has started.

2) The Duck Hunting seasons (all species combined) are 3-4 month's long. The other 9 months those lands are enjoyed by Hikers, Boaters, Bycleists, and all maner of outdoor lovers.

3) The limits on Hunters are STRICT! and penalties SEVERE. Over limit fines can be OVER $1,000.00 Per Bird + Jail time.
Also, most people do not realize that under conservation law, You are GUILTY until proven innocent! It is the Only time that this is so.

4) Having limits based on population keeps a balance of birds so that they will ALL be around for the future generations to enjoy.
Since the start of the Duck Stamp program, NOT 1 Species of Duck managed by a State DEC has become threatened or Endangered. But some have come back from near extinction.

5) Lastly, More often than not a Hunter goes home with nothing. It's not as easy as TV makes it look. Ask anyone who has ever gone hunting.

If you choose to hunt fine, If not that is fine as well. But, either way the Duck Stamp Program is an important part of the future of keeping our Ducks around, for all to enjoy. So, PLEASE support it!
Edited by revstampman - 06/28/2014 5:08 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/29/2014   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linn's has announced the Federal Duck stamp price will be raised from $15 to $25 starting with the 2015-16 issues. They have been $15 since 1991. Actually, if you adjust for inflation in 1991 dollars, they will cost about $1.09 less; however that really does not help those of us just on fixed Social Security income who collect them. It will raise our cost from $30 to $50 - a $20 increase to add the self adhesive and gum stamps each year to our collection.

Albert
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/29/2014   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget the door has been opened to allow "electronic duck stamps", too:

http://linns.com/news/us-stamps/110...e-to-hunters
Valued Member
452 Posts
Posted 02/06/2015   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LarryBruce to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whoever said hunters usually don't come home with game was right I went so many times I couldn't count.

I think they invited me to find the deer trails early in the year to scout and later in the fall heard they got their buck. I didn't care I liked being outside and always someone gave me some deer meat to enjoy.

I was a rotten shot only got one deer in my life, I was a much better fisherman. Duck hunting and geese was just as bad but this duck stamp collecting seems to be doing ok, I bagged a few on eBay and I don't even have to field clean em...works for me...

I like the dog best been wanting one of those for sometime all of these were about $24.00 total not to bad I don't think.

Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
Posted 02/06/2015   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to ask if someone had images of all of these issued since they began back in 1934 but a Google search turned up this Fish & Wildlife link showing the various stamps

http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/feder...edimages.htm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 12,144Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05