Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Was In Your Mailbox Today??

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 36
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
749 Posts
Posted 04/12/2019   09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cobwebs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This arrived a couple of days ago, the 2018 year pack of British stamps and miniature sheets. Here is the cover of the folder. Can anyone spot the anachronism in the picture?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
605 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
LOL! It seems like she's been the Queen forever, but....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3566 Posts
Posted 04/14/2019   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
I was going to guess that the mailboxes only went red after women had the vote but, according to DeWiki:

Quote:
... Green was adopted as the standard colour for the early Victorian post boxes. Between 1866 and 1879 the hexagonal Penfold post box became the standard design for pillar boxes and it was during this period that red was first adopted as the standard colour. The first boxes to be painted red were in London in July 1874, although it would be nearly 10 years before all the boxes had been repainted ...

So I'm going to have to go with the easy answer: E became QE2 in 1953, long after women got the vote.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
605 Posts
Posted 04/15/2019   02:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it's a TARDIS with a broken chameleon circuit that got stuck looking like an Elizabeth II Royal Mail pillar box?
Edited by erilaz - 04/15/2019 02:44 am
Valued Member
Ireland
142 Posts
Posted 04/15/2019   06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Friday...a slightly unsettling letter from a "trade".
I don't trade but reply to any request on a dormant account. So early March and it was a trade I didn't really want to make as the trader was a long way fom the countries in which I was interested.
Sent 50 stamps off and as always I enclosed a note with my address. I always sent/send first.
Via email, the trader expressed a little irritation at the delay (mail fault rather than mine) and then informed me that they had arrived and he would send stamps. But he was annoyed that my stamps were mostly on paper...the first time he had received stamps on paper. I explained most were self-adhesive or Stamps on a Roll and I never took them off paper.
Actually I was quite glad that he had told me because maybe there are scores of traders who just did not tell me that this was wrong.
So Friday...I get a letter with his stamps and a note to say that I had only sent 49 stamps. But his main concern was that several of the stamps I sent were not in the Scott catalogue. This surprised me as Stamps on a Roll are certainly catalogued by Gibbons. But I now note that they are not in StampWorld.
I just put the stamps into another envelope and sent them back to him on Saturday.
Maybe I have been involved in other bad trades but I was never told this. I just happily assumed I was the good guy who sent stamps to 19 "traders" in 2018 and got stamps from 8 "traders".
Either way, it confirm my decision that I will never take part in another trade.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3898 Posts
Posted 04/15/2019   07:30 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No good deed ever goes unpunished. Or, as Fred Dagg put it, "no point in going around like the Good Samurai".
Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 04/15/2019   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ikey pikey, you are absolutely correct, E II R pillar boxes have only been around since 1952 or 53, long after the demands of the suffragettes were met.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3898 Posts
Posted 04/16/2019   10:45 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All the way from Hong Kong (not a gift, and the price wasn't $2)

and a Fidel mouse-mat inside

Valued Member
United States
28 Posts
Posted 04/16/2019   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While not in my mailbox, and not USPS, I received a supply order from Brooklyn Gallery consisting of the following:

1 Harris Statesman Deluxe binder
1 100-sheet pack of Unitrade interleaving for Harris 2 post albums
2 packs of Prinz hinges
2 #6 glassine size black storage boxes

In anticipation of some stamping time during the upcoming three day weekend.

Dale

Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
Posted 04/17/2019   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received this today direct from Yvert & Tellier. Only took 6 days. Already looks like it will be very helpful with my French colony collecting efforts.

Also will be a good test of my rusty high-school French...

Valued Member
United States
75 Posts
Posted 04/18/2019   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This came in the mail today, a nice copy of the elusive Scott 52c, 100 ore, watermark 113, inverted frame. I found it on stamps2go at a very reasonable price. It filled a space, and I now only need 4 stamps that the Steiner pages have a space for in the first 1000 Scott numbers. Included in these 4 is the ultra rare #21 2 skilling blue and grey perf 12 1/2. Don't think I'll ever be able to afford one even if one comes up for sale (which they rarely do)
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 04/18/2019   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of additions to my fun collection of duplex postmarks:

The Cincinnati 3 is fairly common.

The Richmond C within 3 rings (center ring is segmented) has an appeal of it's own.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
525 Posts
Posted 04/18/2019   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to the marvel of Informed Delivery, I can look forward to receiving an offer from a credit card issuer and an opportunity to cruise the Pacific at reduced fares.d ap
Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 04/18/2019   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jerry, nice to see you still up and kicking! Jeff
Page: of 36 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05