Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Was In Your Mailbox Today??

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 38
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 05/26/2019   12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received this mixed franking cover which fits into two of my areas of interest, Great Britain, including the Channel Islands occupation issues, and famous microbiologists. The German stamp features Robert Koch, and I didn't realize it until I received it, but despite the occupation at the time, the German stamp was probably not added to the cover until it was received in Germany , (in Weimar, to be exact), since it has not been cancelled with a German cancellation, either Feldpost or in Germany itself.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Technically not today (Memorial Day) but within the past few days, I received something I bought from one of my favorite dealers: Apfelbaum in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania, a 4 generation family owned business. They have good material and good prices. My latest purchase is a collection from 1922 to about 1990 and includes 726 of the first 766 stamps issued by the Republic of Ireland (Eire). They are on Steiner pages and in a binder which I will replace, but the collection cost me just over $100, which works out to just 15 cents a stamp, and my benchmark for if I've received a good deal is if there is one stamp in a collection that catalogues for as much as I paid for the whole lot, and that is the case here because the collection includes Scott 92, the 1934 2 penny vertically perforated coil stamp, which catalogues $125 used. It's a bit thin in the early overprinted issues, especially the high value "Seahorses" but it's a good basis for expansion. The mint never hinged stamps from decimalization onward alone add up to over 100 pounds, so those alone would have cost more than I paid just in face value. A new country to collect!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2344 Posts
Posted 05/28/2019   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a nice price on the Ireland pages. I see more and more collections on eBay on Steiner pages.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/28/2019 11:06 am
Valued Member
Netherlands
496 Posts
Posted 05/29/2019   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2 items for my `Stuff I like collection`

First a Switserland 1951 Lunaba Block on Lunaba cover, special postmark not fdc.

Second a used DDR-East Germany postcard Michel P 64 a 02. Not as easy as one would think.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2344 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We received a certified letter but the postman forgot to obtain our signature so the card was still attached to the back of the envelope. It was well marked as a certified letter.
Al
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 06/04/2019   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The June 2019 issue of The American Philatelist. My first since re-upping my membership in the APS. I'm looking forward to reading it over the next few days.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3636 Posts
Posted 06/11/2019   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... We received a certified letter but the postman forgot to obtain our signature ...

FYI:

For registered mail (decades ago and, probably, today), letter carriers signed for each individual registered item, as did every clerk who handled that registered item along the way.

For certified mail, a clerk noted the total number of "certs" they passed to each letter carrier each day, and that was that. At the end of your tour, you dumped the signed receipts (and undelivered certs) at the clerk's window, and that was that.

Why so casual? Certification fees were low, the amount of time it took for a letter carrier to hand-deliver each cert was high, the number of times that a sender ever complained about a missing receipt was infinitesimal, and the post office was not on the hook for the value of a missing cert.

Once every couple of months, a registered item (always from a foreign country) would just show-up in the mail stream like any other piece of mail.

But every couple of days - on some routes, just about every day - a certified item (of domestic origin) would just show-up in the mail stream like any other piece of mail.

If we noticed the 'cert', we might collect the signature, or not ... nobody in management really cared, and I suspect most of us rather liked treating our customers better than, say, their creditors.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2344 Posts
Posted 06/12/2019   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my case, the certified letter was to formally inform me of something. The sender did not really care if I received it.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1081 Posts
Posted 06/16/2019   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Been meaning to show these two items which I won in Kelleher's Sale 724:

739a

746a

Finally, from McCusker's latest auction, a complete set of Farley Reprints on one cover, signed by William M. Moody, the Postmaster of Washington, D.C.

Page: of 38 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05