Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Was In Your Mailbox Today??

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2661 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   5:06 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Via Postcrossing... I like the center stamp

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 08/31/2019   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I received a 2012 edition of the SG Commonwealth Catalogue and a collection of 775 different Hungary.

Dale
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 09/05/2019   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday I received a two pound lot of off paper U.S. commems. U.S. is one country that has generally been light in my collection. This lot should be a step toward alleviating that.

Dale
Edited by StatesmanStamper - 09/05/2019 6:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6452 Posts
Posted 09/05/2019   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, that does not make much sense ?

Peter
Valued Member
United States
124 Posts
Posted 09/05/2019   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter,

Thanks for mentioning that. I didn't read it over so missed that I had left out a word. It's been corrected.

Regards,
Dale
Valued Member
65 Posts
Posted 09/06/2019   6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add profgreeley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nell I also like the stamp you shared.

Got some lovely cinderellas in the mail today...
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 09/10/2019   10:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eraserman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I received a weird envelope if you can call it that.

It is a air mail envelope but the thing is it was one you had to fold yourself. It had a pre printed 11 cent stamp on it already. I have gotten a few air mail stamps but this was the first time I have gotten a envelope. It came from maine.

I had bought some $1 stamps and that is what the seller decided to use to get them to me.

On the bottom it has AEROGRAMME PAR AVION so I am thinking it might be french or mexican.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1230 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What you have is an aerogramme or air letter sheet. They are not envelopes, per se, since enclosures are not permitted (when they were current). The sender would write a message on the sheet, fold it per the directions, and send it on its way.

In your case, the sender used it as an envelope. I'm not sure if U.S. postal regulations allow that. But, it went through the mail anyway.

Air letter sheets are found in the Scott U.S. Specialized catalog. The catalog number is prefixed with "UC".

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1202 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing. The post office box was empty today.
Edited by Climber Steve - 09/11/2019 1:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1634 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If mailing from the US, aerogrammes are not permitted anymore. They are too light and thin to get handled by modern machinery and have a good chance of getting mangled.
Edited by hy-brasil - 09/11/2019 4:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"If mailing from the US, aerogrammes are not permitted anymore. They are too light and thin to get handled by modern machinery and have a good chance of getting mangled."

Please cite a reference to this.
Pillar Of The Community
2171 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the USPS's International Mail Manual, Issue 8, dated June 28, 1990:

I suspect the aerogram regulations were quite similar at other times before and after this publication, but it is a starting point for reference.

Reading the last paragraph backwards ... it seems aerograms could have enclosures if uprated to the full letter rate and would pass on naturally through the system without any delay, penalty, or postage due.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My question dealt with the comment that aerograms were no longer permitted in US mails. The standard text from the postal guide does not address this point.
Pillar Of The Community
2171 Posts
Posted 09/11/2019   9:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PostalHysteria, Yes, I understood your question also. My response was directed more at the previous comments. That said, I know of no prohibition, which would be in effect a demonetization of them. With today's automation, anything tagged will fly through the machines and end up in a delivery-sequenced tray ready for a carrier to deliver before any postal employee ever sets eyes on it. Common sense should come into play to send merchandise lots enclosed in paper thicker than an aerogram.
Valued Member
United States
55 Posts
Posted 09/12/2019   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your clarification.
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05