Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Was In Your Mailbox Today??

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 711 / Views: 103,835Next Topic
Page: of 48
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
643 Posts
Posted 05/15/2020   05:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some more:

Black and Orange Int Rev with some selvedge
Letters close to the stamp

Proprietary stamp on Poudre de Riz box. I believe make up powder.
Asuming the stamp has a precancel?.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
643 Posts
Posted 05/15/2020   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the last ones I will show.

2x inl exchange

Bank check. stamp: Harlow J. Phelps Company New Orleans.

Bank Check 10 ct. imperf. A believe a crew list.

And then a Check? without a revenue stamp. Not needed?

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5199 Posts
Posted 05/15/2020   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A receipt, rather than a cheque.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
388 Posts
Posted 05/15/2020   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am struck by the font on the Western National Bank [of Philadelphia] check.
I would not have picked 1875 for its year of origin.

- Jonathan
Valued Member
112 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In my mailbox today was a letter from the White House telling me all about my stimulus check. It arrived two weeks after I got the check but I think the govt. invented the saying "better late than never".

Ikey-Pikey--When I talked about Trumps' signature on the check in my post of 5/2, I was thinking of people salvaging the cancelled ones from the trash. In any case, I doubt any in Washington care about saving money anymore.

I don't know if the Feds read my 5/2 post but it's like they heard me. The letter I received today had not one but two Trump signatures on it.Whatever they're using for auto pen these days looks like it was done with a felt pen.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
643 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arrived today a 2.5/7.5/2.5 combination from the Netherlands 1942 on postcard.

Almost all are considered Philatelistic.

They are not that easy to find and as long as the postage is correct I am fine

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
389 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yesterday's mail brought the Postmaster Commission document shown below. Issued to William Kilby, appointing him the postmaster at Denneysville, Maine. It is dated February 24, 1800. This is the second oldest such document I have been able to add to my collection.

The Postmaster General at the time was Joseph Habersham, who served in this position between 1795 and 1801

William Kilby was the first postmaster appointed at the Denneysville post office, which was established on January 31, 1800, as shown by the following entry from the Letter Books of the Postmaster General, vol E, page 457.

Denneysville is in Washington County, on the easternmost point of Maine. I've not been able to determine how long William Kilby served as postmaster, but he died in 1829.
Edited by mml1942 - 05/23/2020 4:51 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
388 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting French cover arrived in my mailbox yesterday. The front is cancelled Marseille Oct 3 1941 before the US entered the war.
Over on the left it says it "by clipper via Lisbon" in the same ink and apparent hand as the address in Fresno, California.

The verso though bears five "stamps" promoting "La Legion des Volontiers Francais Contre le Bolchevisme" a.k.a. the LVF. I understand these are not really recognized as "stamps" as they were not governmentally backed postage, as they came from this unit itself or their private promoters.
I am curious about the issue dates on these LVF cindarellas/stamps. Is it April 2 1942 as on the sheets PostmasterGS showed in the thread https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...IC_ID=14977.
Without being tied to the cover by a cancel I think these are later additions.
If that is the only issue date, it would definitely make these later additions to the envelope. Or were these produced over a longer period and started to appear in time to be genuinely on this letter?

Anyway, this thing was only a couple bucks so I am not out more than a Big Mac in case this thing is completely bogus.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5199 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In aid of French fascists fighting on the Eastern front. Maury gives the issue date as 30 April 1942.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
388 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that GeoffHa.
I have to conclude these are later additions to the cover.

Valued Member
United States
345 Posts
Posted 05/28/2020   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ekbustad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In aid of French fascists fighting on the Eastern front. Maury gives the issue date as 30 April 1942.
And Michel says 20 April 1942. Which is all the same wrt this cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
989 Posts
Posted 05/30/2020   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I got this postcard that I bought on eBay. The card promotes and is written in the Ido language, the most successful of the Esperanto offshoots, though not as successful as Esperanto itself. It was sent from Dublin to Prague in what appears to be 1919. Certainly it can't be earlier than 1918, since it's addressed to "Czecho-Slovakia," and it can't be later than 1922, because of the British (rather than Irish) stamp.

The sender of the card writes that he is a 21-year-old student of Law at the National University (of Ireland) and that he is interested in the current political and social situation in Czechoslovakia, adding: "You fought against the tyranny of Austria and won. We are still fighting against English tyranny and we will win."

Pillar Of The Community
United States
989 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   03:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today this eBay purchase arrived. It's Royal Mail A4-size poster RMN 1292/A for the 1992 J.R.R. Tolkien Centenary Prestige Booklet (Scott #BK157). It came in an envelope with 29 uncancelled Machins on it. Shipping time from the U.K. to California wasn't bad, 14 days from payment to delivery.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
643 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just Arrived.

Vatican CIty 1929 series.

It was offered as the series on what was described as: only the front piece of a cover. That was oke, I put in an offer which was accepted.

To my surprise it is a complete (expresse)cover. Slight damage on the underside at the front, but not to much.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2532 Posts
Posted 10/06/2020   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What Was In Your Mailbox Today??

A real Hen's tooth Or at least a very scarce Mendocino county postmark.

In Feb of 1903 a new post office was opened between Ukiah,(the county seat and the town that was almost the county seat), narrowly defeated, Calpella, only six miles north.
There really wasn't much of a need for this office and it was closed on 15 Dec 1905.

In operation for two years, nine month and one week, the John H. Williams two volume book California Town Postmarks 1850-1935 lists the Earliest Known use and Latest Known Use, which was 13 Jan 1904 and 17 Nov 1905.

In the nine month remaining of 1903, the postmaster was compensated $17.96.

Edited by littleriverphil - 10/06/2020 10:15 am
Page: of 48 Previous TopicReplies: 711 / Views: 103,835Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 12.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05