Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Was In Your Mailbox Today??

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 805 / Views: 112,768Next Topic
Page: of 54
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1102 Posts
Posted 02/20/2021   12:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I got some fantasy coins and stamps from the Shire Post Mint. At some point I need to start a thread about the latter in the Cinderellas forum. I also finally got a book that I bought from a Japanese seller on the Amazon Marketplace on October 30th — 112 days by surface mail, since Japan Post cut off airmail service to the U.S. because of the reduction in commercial flights due to COVID.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
33 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   05:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tore99 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received a brand new 2016-17 Hungarian stamp catalog. To my pleasant surprise, it includes revenue stamps and postal stationary and is a hardback. Just in initial browsing, I'm impressed by the coverage, the details missing from Scott. Things I need to get used to - the heaviness of this book, the organization of most stamps by date and not type (compared to Scott), learning a different listing format, and using Google translate since my Hungarian is limited. All good fun and increasing knowledge!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7378 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A letter that was mailed from Rome, Italy on 15 December 2020. I am still waiting on another one from that same time

Peter
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
455 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Along with two philatelic reference works from the APS, a copy of Balloon Post of the Siege of Paris (American Air Mail Society, 1976) which is mainly a translation of Louis Chaintrier's French series of articles.

Looking forward to perusing it, although it has remarkable fine print which will certainly not relax my old eyes. But for $11 it ought to yield more entertaining hours than a first run movie, not that we're going to the theater these days.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalHysteria to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For my Oranges Philately collection:

A set of Amusement Tax stamps for the community of Petah Tikva (several spellings),
a Jewish settlement now in Israel,
featuring an orange tree, adapted from the Petah Tikva coat of arms.

Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/01/2021   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Junk mail with no stamps, only meters and labels. I wish there was a way to discourage meters, but I guess that will never happen.
Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/02/2021   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am trying to create a young philatelist out of my granddaughter. Today she "wrote a letter" and we put it in an envelope with a stamp, addressed to her house (my son and she live only 10 minutes from here). I want her to understand how stamps work, and how mail gets delivered.

My mother, though never really a collector, always encouraged me. Whenever she mails me something, she always uses interesting stamps, usually not the "Forever" stuff. In my postal history collection, I always enjoyed receiving letters from certain lawyers or other agencies who actually used stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
998 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby T

Quote:
I wish there was a way to discourage meters,

Why not collect them??

https://www.meterstampsociety.com/

Dan

Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This arrived in my mailbox. I finally won an eBay auction, a small collection page of 16 Hong Kong stamps, that took 19 days to arrive from North Carolina to Iowa. The top 4 stamps are shown below, for my Hong Kong cancel collection...

1) Scott #36b - Wmk. 2 - Queen Victoria 2 cent carmine with partial 62B killer. (the common HK killer is B62)

2) Scott #74 - Wmk 2 - King Edward VII 5 cent with OAHU Hawaii killer, probably paquebot receiver at Honolulu, need to verify, the break in the circle at left is a strong clue. This is the second Hawaii cancel on a HK stamp in my collection.

3) Scott #78 - Wmk 2 - King Edward VII 20 cent revenue usage with purple oval from The National Bank of China, Limited.

4) Scott #72 - Wmk 2 - King Edward VII 2 cent with nice Shanghai index C strike dated May 5, 1905.

Linus

Valued Member
United States
129 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobbyT to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why not? I never thought about that but will take a look at the link you sent. There must be something interesting about them after all. I have a ton of covers I saved over the years with meters, but have no idea how to sort or organize them or what features to look for so I appreciate your suggestion.
Valued Member
364 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Andyrich74 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postalhysteria, what exactly are "amusement stamps." Certainly not space for them in my Davo albums.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7378 Posts
Posted 03/03/2021   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Andyrich, it is "amusement TAX stamps"

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3839 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received 3 wonderful packets from my buddy Rod from down under.

Sorry I have not pics my scanner is out of commission.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Valued Member
Canada
220 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stuff I've been waiting for since Jan 20. Better late than never although things were jostled all over the place.

my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Learn More...
9230 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   1:40 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Came home yesterday and my new extra large mailbox and post had been flattened. I found some broken taillight glass but no note so I was stewing for a few hours. Later in the evening when my doorbell rang and found one of my neighbors standing there; she explained that she hit it while backing up and offered to pay for it. Since she owned up and was considerate enough to offer to pay for it, I told her to forget about it. She restored my faith in humankind.
So I hit the store this morning, got what I needed, and just finished mounting a new post and mailbox. All is good, no missed mail.
Don
Page: of 54 Previous TopicReplies: 805 / Views: 112,768Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05