Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Was In Your Mailbox Today??

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,028 / Views: 135,022Next Topic
Page: of 69
Valued Member
486 Posts
Posted 05/04/2022   01:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(I like the "poached egg" cover)

In the mail today:
Picked this up after it was relisted. Posted with $6.17 mostly of well (ab)used forever stamps.

I was sure someone else would bid. $4 was the start bid.

Didn't really think I needed it; wanted something to play with.

There were several cached FDC's I added to the collection.

Also: Fluor/non-Fluor paper & rough/smooth paper varieties. I had one or the other, but not both.

The majority kept were in un-cached FDC's. It seems I had the majority in cached FDC's but could use the un-cached ones.

So out of the 73 offered, I was able to add 48 to the collection. Was pleasantly surprised.

For my postal cards, I like to collect (examples of each): mint, un-cached & cached FDC's, varieties, used in period, events, interesting cancels, and advertising. (So almost anything )

pat

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6545 Posts
Posted 05/09/2022   11:21 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Couple of boxes - £200-worth - of material from a recent auction. A first pass suggests around £400-worth of decimal postage within, so the rest is free fun.

Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 05/11/2022   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another vintage (1969) National album. Needed one with the larger spine size to fit the BOB section.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3428 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   06:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When did Scott National switch to the green binders?

I have a fond memory of seeing a nice US Scott National in 1969-70 time frame in the green binder. I had chosen the Harris Liberty.
Al
Edited by angore - 05/12/2022 06:11 am
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 05/12/2022   06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have green binders going back to 1955, and I've seen green binders from the 1920s. I thought this one was really neat and I almost bought it:

Scott National Postage Stamp Album with stamps, ©1953

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1430 Posts
Posted 05/31/2022   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favorites.

Robert
Valued Member
38 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tore99 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Recently received a nice variety of pre-decimal British stamps ordered from a dealer in England to add to my SG Windsor albums. Amazed that it's easier to find these stamps in GB than in the USA, but I suppose the same could be said of US stamps being easier to find here than overseas.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
Posted 07/12/2022   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received this item today. I bought it for the postal stationery part of my GB collection. It was advertised as postal stationery and I bought it from a dealer that I have bought a lot of postal stationery from in the past, but upon receiving it, I'm not quite sure WHAT it is. It's quite a bit smaller than any standard postal card or envelope issued by Royal Mail and which used this style of octagonal printed stamp. It's a bit smaller than a standard (in the US) 3 by 5 inch index card, is not in the form of an envelope or a postal card, and has no printing on it to indicate its use other than the note that "This Souvenir sheet has Postal validity", so it could be used as postage. It's also rather thin and flimsy, thicker than a normal stamp, but thinner than a postal card. On the back is some sort of serial number in black ink, so maybe it was a limited issue? It is not listed in Scott or Stanley Gibbons, nor is it listed in my Michel catalogue of postal stationery from Western Europe which includes GB. Has anyone on the forum seen such an item, and how was it meant to be used? It doesn't seem to have gum on the back, so if you wanted to use it for postage I suppose you would have to have put glue on the back, or else taped it to an envelope. I don't suppose there are a lot of postally used ones around It's a curious item, and I will put it in with the rest of my postal stationery. My album is blank Steiner format pages, so I won't be upsetting any pattern by placing it there.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35784 Posts
Posted 07/13/2022   01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh! "My kingdom for a paragraph..."

This is a Lettercard
Brightmore #21 6.5d Blue

Exists in Cream and White paper, with 1 Phosphor band.

However, it misses the format "lettercard" (Type E) on front
and Type X2 text on back "please stick on.....etc"

Maybe yours has been cut down?

Only other instance I can imagine, is an STO = Stamped to order card
which would facilitate the addition of the cachet

Note: "Post Office Lettercards have been uprated under STO facilities, these are usually Philatelic in nature"
Edited by rod222 - 07/13/2022 01:09 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35784 Posts
Posted 07/13/2022   01:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have checked Huggins/Baker
Under Air Mail letter sheets (STO) of this Octagonal format, no 6.5d listed

If it is a genuine "souvenir sheet" it will not exist in a stationery catalogue.

Huggins/Baker
relatively few STO letter cards were produced commercially, with many being posted back to the company that created them. leaving a few, mainly mint items on the market.
The heading "Letter Card" was not always used.

Edited by rod222 - 07/13/2022 01:36 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1756 Posts
Posted 07/13/2022   02:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An explanation here.

"These are souvenirs sheets, these were printed by the Post Office, sponsored by a British Stamp Dealer Rushstamps. They bore embossed stamps and so were postally valid, they could be used as postcards. Three different designs were used and two values, 6½p for second class mail and 8½p for 1st class. The 8½p has two phosphor lines. There were a limited number of sheets printed and each one issued bore a serial number printed in black on the back."

See them here:

http://www.earsathome.com/jubilee.html
Edited by 22crows - 07/13/2022 02:59 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35784 Posts
Posted 07/13/2022   05:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice catch

Waddsbadds may wish to send Eunice / Ron a copy, for the record.
(They are members of SCF)

Never seen these before, "Rush Stamps" sounds familiar though.

Rush stamps mentioned here by NSK
http://goscf.com/t/81396#742866 br /
http://goscf.com/t/81010#737835 br /

http://www.rushstamps.co.uk
Edited by rod222 - 07/13/2022 05:16 am
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
Posted 07/13/2022   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, 22 crows for the link to earsathome, explaining about these souvenir sheets. Interestingly. it says that there were three different designs, and it shows three different designs, but mine is not among them, so it looks like there were more than three. Still, a nice bit of detective work. (and now I'll have to try to find the others) Also it says that the stamps were embossed, but mine actually isn't. And finally, I misspoke when I said that my GB postal stationery collection is on blank Steiner pages. It isn't (but my Denmark postal stationery collection is), but rather it is on blank Schaubek pages to conform with my mainstream GB collection
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1756 Posts
Posted 07/13/2022   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On the Rush Telegraph 70 page for the 1977 Silver Jubilee issues, under Great Britain it does say 'Postally valid S/Shts (4)', so apparently there were 4 sheets.

http://www.rushstamps.co.uk/mag/rt70/p065.pdf
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35784 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 69 Previous TopicReplies: 1,028 / Views: 135,022Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05