Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Was In Your Mailbox Today??

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,036 / Views: 137,608Next Topic
Page: of 70
Valued Member
United States
328 Posts
Posted 07/14/2022   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, again, 22crows for the heads up. I found the three souvenir sheets illustrated on the earsathome link on eBay and bought them, so now, hopefully I'll have all four
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1312 Posts
Posted 07/19/2022   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I got five Esperanto postcards (two unused, three postally used in Germany) from an eBay seller in Spain. Only eight days to California!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1312 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   01:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I got a nice addition to my Volapük postal history collection. I already had 36 postcards and a telegram written in Volapük rigik (Original Volapük), but this is my first cover. It was mailed by the Arnhem section of the General Dutch World Language Society (Algemeene Nederlandsche Wereldtaalvereeniging in Dutch, Volapükaklub valemik nedänik in Volapük) to Johannes George Marie Reynders (Reijnders), the society's secretary-treasurer, on 17 December 1900.

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1868 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Reynders (Reijnders)

In old Dutch it can be 'Reynders.' But, as you write, it, likely, is Reijnders in this case (the way the loop separates from the curve suggests that).
In Dutch, ij is not a letter, but treated as a letter, resulting in some letter that looks like a u with a loop at the bottom right. In crosswords, this is treated as a single letter.

The ij (called lange ij) should never be confused with the y-psilon that is a letter (called ij) that can be pronounced in several ways. We also have ei (called korte ij) that has a very similar pronunciation to ij.

Oosterbeek is a few kilometres west of Arnhem and saw some action during operation Market Garden, in the autumn of 1944.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1312 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This particular Volapükist's name appears in printed books and periodicals from that era as both Reynders and Reijnders. I went with Reynders as the primary reading on this cover, since the letter has no dots over it.

Here's an example of his name as Reynders from a Volapük periodical published in the Netherlands:

https://vo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan..._Reynders_Sr.
Edited by erilaz - 07/22/2022 12:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8097 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Erliaz, I am Dutch. And one of the things that lots of folks in Holland do, or rather not do, is put the dot on the i. in this case the ij. Reijnders is most likely the original spelling of the name,

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1868 Posts
Posted 07/22/2022   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the only hit on the name for Delft:

https://delft.voorouder.nl/getperso...e=voorouders
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 07/30/2022   10:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Paraguay Scott Catalogue #316 Catalogue value $.80.

I have searched for this stamp for over 50 years and never could find one for sale; at least not until now.

How an 8o cent stamp be so elusive is a mystery to me.

Valued Member
United States
53 Posts
Posted 08/19/2022   2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I got the US Buzz Lightyear stamps that I mailed to myself.
I also got an eBay packet of stamps.
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 08/21/2022   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two seperte pieces of mail with a stamp I didn't have. It's a rare day now when mail arrives with an actual stamp, but two differnt pieces, both with stamps I need! One was US SN 5572. This is a new edge varity. The second US SN 5687. I now have 3 of the 4 stamps in this set, all from mail coming to my house.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8097 Posts
Posted 08/21/2022   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Worth, what does SN stand for ?

Peter
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 08/21/2022   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott Number I believe. I may be wrong in my referencing, but I am refering to Scott numbers.
Valued Member
Canada
19 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canuck55 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A nice collection of fifty Salvador stamps won in an auction
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
102 Posts
Posted 08/27/2022   5:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rascal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In March 2020 I ran a contest on this website giving away free packets of stamps from countries beginning with the letter A. One of the winners was a gentleman from Canada who was using a United States PO Box mailing address in Sweetgrass, Montana. I mailed the stamps to him on March 24, 2020.
Today two years and almost 6 months later I received the envelope back. It had the usual yellow sticker and rubber stamp saying not deliverable as addressed unable to forward.
I assume Covid had something to do with this but two years and almost 6 months?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3498 Posts
Posted 08/28/2022   06:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a long time to hold the mail.
Al
Page: of 70 Previous TopicReplies: 1,036 / Views: 137,608Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05