Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postal Stationery Catalogs (Or Lack Thereof) Rant

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1097 Posts
Posted 06/21/2014   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PoStat4evR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know the vast majority of the people on this group collect stamps only. There are however a bunch of us that collect postal stationery, both of our local country and those from the rest of the world! Since the demise of Higgins & Gage, the writters of the definitive world postal stationery catalog, not much has occured with anyone else taking up the bandwagon on this!

Various countries , such as the US, GB, Germany, France and a few others have nice catalogs, but the rest of the world goes for want of such listing. Yes, One could purchase some insane number of catalogs from around the world, and since they are in whatever country language they are issued in, few can interpret what they are saying!

I live in the US and SCOTT is the worst catalog for postal stationery (worldwide) as it gets. The US Cat is fine, but how hard could it be to list the PS of each country each year with the rest of what countries issues? HUh? They need more people? Hire me!

Anyway, I am becoming disenchanted with Michel as well. The German catalog is fine, until you get to a part that becomes complex, then they refer you to yet another catalog! Appearantly people in Germany have lots of disposable cash! This gets truely expensive!

I could go on, but you get the idea: I am peeved. Oh well, it makes the day go faster! Hah!

Comments and opinions welcome
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
Posted 06/21/2014   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ekbustad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There does not seem to be enough demand from collectors to support someone producing a world-wide postal stationary catalog. Most stamp collectors are just that -- STAMP collectors. There needs to be enough people who will buy a catalog for it to be worth someone's time to publish one.

So, I am afraid that collectors of WW postal stationary are stuck with separate catalogs for different parts of the world.

For European countries, there are the Michel catalogs: Germany, West Europe and East Europe.

I have recent versions of these, as well as what I understand is the most recent edition of a postal stationary catalog for Norway -- dated 1995/97 :-)

The local club library also has a copy of the H&G catalog, and I have a searchable pdf copy of the old Ascher catalog from 1925/1928.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2648 Posts
Posted 06/21/2014   3:44 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel your pain. I bought the Unitrade last year to cover Canada and I have a few catalogs to cover U.S. I find the Facit catalog to be strange. They cover the stamps of all the Nordic countries, but only the postal stationery of Sweden. It would be nice if they just add the several other countries to the book. I can't see Scott adding the postal stationery to the standard set as it's already sitting at six volumes and too expensive for many to by new as it is.

Who holds the copyright to Higgins & Gage now?
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
Posted 06/21/2014   7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ekbustad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing strange about Facit, they are a Swedish company, it makes sense that, apart from the catalog of Nordic country stamps, they concentrate on Swedish philately.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1097 Posts
Posted 06/21/2014   7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know who holds the copyright. It used to be a stamp store in southern California, but that was a while ago. I know that Scott would never do it, but one can dream!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 06/21/2014   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is 2014. Isn't this exactly the sort of thing that can be crowd-sourced?

The lack of commercial support makes it perfect for a wiki.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
2085 Posts
Posted 06/21/2014   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have to assume the major publishers have determined there's not enough demand for a worldwide postal stationery catalog. Considering the effort that would be involved, and the relatively small share of the philatelist market that collects postal stationery, it probably isn't cost effective.

I collect German postal stationery, and I find that Michel's Ganzsachen Katalog get's me 95% of the way there. It is a pain having to go to outside sources on occasion, but considering the level of specialization in the remaining 5% (the private postal stationery and private post catalogs are 4 volumes each), it's not realistic to expect that level of detail in the basic catalog.

The devil is in the details. Or rather, the degree of detail.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 06/21/2014   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the Indian States, there's Ed Dechl's India States Postal Stationery Listing or nothing. Higgins & Gage does cover the Indian States, but it's hardly worth considering.

Ed self-published this book during his lifetime, as a labour of love. I doubt that he even covered his costs. These days, a copy will cost you considerably more than he ever received for it - if you can find a copy, that is.

There's a moral in this, for those who wish to look.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2648 Posts
Posted 06/22/2014   07:01 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeyPikey: A wiki would be nice and ideal. There's one for worldwide meters that's growing.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
516 Posts
Posted 11/05/2014   04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is an excellent new PS catalogue for Australia:

http://www.brusden-white.com.au/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
784 Posts
Posted 11/05/2014   04:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As far as the United States Postal Stationery the United Postal Stationery Society (UPSS) offers the most comprehensive postal stationery & postal cards catalog as e-publications for a nominal cost. I find them invaluable in my collecting:

United States 19th Century Envelope Catalog
United States 20th and 21st Century Envelope Catalog
United States Postal Card Catalog thru 2010

For more information see:
http://www.upss.org/code/epublicati...b658d65daaf9
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 11/05/2014 04:22 am
United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 01/05/2018   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roy Richardson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last GB PostalStationery catalogue was issued by Alan Huggins & Colin Baker in 2007 (now out of print), a new update is due later this year, information from GBPS.
However I produced a British Postal Stationery listing with images in 2016, this is available to any member free by email or GB£6 plus postage (on flash-drive)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26629 Posts
Posted 01/05/2018   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I produced a British Postal Stationery listing with images in 2016, this is available to any member free by email or GB£6 plus postage (on flash-drive)

Very generous, I would be very interested, could you email me when you have sufficient posts please, Roy.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1141 Posts
Posted 01/06/2018   02:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Robson Lowe Encyclopaedias covered postal stationery of most of the British Empire but only to 1952 or so. It's such a disappointment that Lowe didn't cover the whole empire.

Way back in the day Stanley Gibbons released their own catalogue for postal stationery. The last issue was 1900 which isn't so bad if you collect 19th century material. It doesn't have the depth of H&G though.

Bright & Sons had a similar catalogue. I'm not sure when they stopped but it might have been before the First World War. It's more simplified than Gibbons.

Ascher is breathtaking in it's scope, but your German would have to be reasonable. Either that or get used to online translating! The reprint is a very thick book but it's light so that's a bonus.
Valued Member
Bulgaria
182 Posts
Posted 09/12/2018   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrPhilaRooms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Michel for Eastern Europe and I'd like very much to get the one for Germany and one for rest of Europe.

Everything goes online these years, that's for sure. Online PS catalogues follow the stamp ones. There are two or three well organised platforms but it needs a motivation for knowledgeable people to continue working on it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
686 Posts
Posted 09/13/2018   12:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a searchable pdf copy of the old Ascher catalog from 1925/1928.

I have that, too. Since I mainly need a postal stationery catalog to identify 19th-century postal cards, it covers most of my needs. My knowledge of German is solid, so the language isn't a stumbling-block for me.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05