Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Difference Between Large And Small Block Tag

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 9,526Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 06/23/2014   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That makes a lot of sense all of a sudden.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5583 Posts
Posted 10/28/2016   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everybody ,learned a lot reading here , I was working on PNC coils and ran into the Scott listing of the coils in tagging blocks and thought what is this?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
507 Posts
Posted 10/29/2016   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dkabq8 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While you are using your UV light, you should be wearing UV-filter glasses. I gave myself a minor eye-burn not doing so. I got mine here: http://www.mineralman.net/id26.html.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 04/27/2018   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mind if I resurrect this old thread?

I just got a PNC3 of teh 2281 Honey Bee. It is plate #1.
It has large block tagging. My Scott 2010 US specialized indicates only plate #2 should have large block tagging. But I see that Peter says that Large Block tagging occurs on Plates 1 and 2. I was wondering if the Scott catalog has been updated since the 2010 edition to reflect that, and if so, what is the Scott # for 2281 Plate #1 with large block tagging.

Thanks,
Dave N.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1258 Posts
Posted 04/27/2018   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 2018 catalog shows plate #s 1 & 2 for 2281f (large block tagging). 2218 (small block tagging) is shown only with plate #1. I recall reading an article about small vs large block tagging for 2281. The article indicated that distinguishing between the two was not as easy as one might think. I don't remember the source of the article.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7722 Posts
Posted 04/27/2018   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, I will give you the results from the PNC3 price list, the latest edition of 2017.
Both plate 1 and plate 2 are listed with separate catalog numbers for narrow and wide tagging. Scott is very incomplete here.
Plate 1 also is listed with both fat and thin plate numbers - both tagging varieties are possible.

Hope this helps, Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 04/27/2018   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the additional Info!.

I had to order a replacement UV bulb. When it comes in and if it works, I'll try to take and post some good pics of the block tagging on these Honey Bees.

Dave N.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2758 Posts
Posted 04/28/2018   12:19 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The thin and fat 1 names from the from Al Haake who is trying to make something out of little. The initial printings had a complete 0.75mm tall 1 complete with top serif). Due to color registration problems, the top tended to wander up to the edge or into the bottom of the design, so they went in with a hand tool and manually shortened the 1's from the top and the resulting short 1's from each row on the plate came out slightly different (including one that has what looks like a bit of a top serif), There wasn't a thin 1 plate and a thick 1 plate.

Also be aware that the larger and smaller tagging block sizes used for plate 2 do not exactly match the size of that used for plate 1.
Edited by eyeonwall - 04/28/2018 12:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
673 Posts
Posted 05/14/2018   06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldtriguy1960 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

Got me replacement bulb for UV light and was able to get a pic of the 25c Honey Bee tagging.
The top stamp pair shows what I assume is 'Small block" tag
The bottom PNC3 shows what I assume is "large block" tag
The PNC3 is plate # 1. The edges of the tagging are sharp so I do not think worn mats come into play here. As can be seen, the "small block" is not only narrower, but is also shorter a bit. Notice something else... The corners of the tagging. I seem to remember something about these stamps being called round corners and square corners. Since the corners of the stamps themselves are the same, maybe it is the corners of the tagging being addressed with "round" and "square"?

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 9,526Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05