Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gold-bordered Postcards

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3867 Posts
Posted 06/23/2014   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Q/ Would any of y'all know the publisher/printer of this card?

TIA, Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Remind me how awful it is when people scribble on the back of a stamp:

I have SO gotta save-up for one of Art's electro-driven erasers!
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 06/24/2014   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Q/ Would any of y'all know the publisher/printer of this card?

Not sure of the publisher of the card (although I would suspect Woman's World published it). Nonetheless, the verse and the picture in the corner of the card shown is that of Eugene Field (1850-1895). Here's the remainder of the poetic text for which the series of postcards were created:

Quote:
Lover's Lane, St. Jo
by Eugene Field (1850-1895)

Saint Jo, Buchanan County,
Is leagues and leagues away;
And I sit in the gloom of this rented room,
And pine to be there to-day.
Yes, with London fog around me
And the bustling to and fro,
I am fretting to be across the sea
In Lover's Lane, Saint Jo.

I would have a brown-eyed maiden
Go driving once again;
And I 'd sing the song, as we snailed along,
That I sung to that maiden then:
I purposely say, "as we snailed along,"
For a proper horse goes slow
In those leafy aisles, where Cupid smiles,

From her boudoir in the alders
Would peep a lynx-eyed thrush,
And we 'd hear her say, in a furtive way,
To the noisy cricket, "Hush!"
To think that the curious creature
Should crane her neck to know
The various things one says and sings

But the maples they should shield us
From the gossips of the place;
Nor should the sun, except by pun,
Profane the maiden's face;
And the girl should do the driving,
For a fellow can't, you know,
Unless he 's neglectful of what 's quite respectful

Ah! sweet the hours of springtime,
When the heart inclines to woo,
And it 's deemed all right for the callow wight
To do what he wants to do;
But cruel the age of winter,
When the way of the world says no
To the hoary men who would woo again
In Lover's Lane, Saint Jo!

In the Union Bank of London
Are forty pounds or more,
Which I 'm like to spend, ere the month shall end,
In an antiquarian store;
But I 'd give it all, and gladly,
If for an hour or so
I could feel the grace of a distant place,---
Of Lover's Lane, Saint Jo.

Let us sit awhile, beloved,
And dream of the good old days,---
Of the kindly shade which the maples made
Round the stanch but squeaky chaise;
With your head upon my shoulder,
And my arm about you so,
Though exiles, we shall seem to be

More here (note third paragraph under subtitle "Career"):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Field

Here's another postcard from the series (currently for sale on eBay) that correctly connects his poetry and his picture with his name:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3867 Posts
Posted 06/24/2014   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, wt1, that '1' is well-deserved.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1138 Posts
Posted 08/18/2014   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One more for the topic:

beat up and unused.

ikeyPikey, sorry, but there is no publisher info on the address side.
Edited by stampfan9 - 08/18/2014 8:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3867 Posts
Posted 08/18/2014   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yo, stampfan9: Do you see a printer/publisher name/logo on the back of the card? Cheers,
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 08/24/2014   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudhut1000 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

According to "Motorcycle Memories" the publisher/printer is: Eugene Field.

This looks like it would be a n ice topic postcard series to collect.

Eugene Field # 3 is for sale on the Motorcycle Memories for $8. I am not promoting this business, just showing what price you may expect from a card of series.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1138 Posts
Posted 08/24/2014   03:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mudhut1000, thanks for the information.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3867 Posts
Posted 08/24/2014   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mudhut1000: As noted in wt1's post, above, the verse was by Eugene Field.

With no disrepect to Motorcycle Memories, folks whose first interest is not postcards will often grab what information is available, and go with it. For lower-value items, people selling cards/covers/stamps can only make money if they limit the time they spend on each listing. Therefor, these attributions are sometimes more convenient than they are determinative.

Re the prolific Mr Fields:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Field = journalist, editor, columnist, poet ...

There is no suggestion that he acted as a publisher, eg, financed & arranged the printing & distribution of any of his own work; while the WikiGod is only as omniscient as His creators, that article covers a lot of ground.

http://www.metropostcard.com/metrop...lishers.html ... Mr Fields is not listed herein, FWIW.

I once heard an off-hand remark to the effect that all of the gold-bordered postcards were produced by a single printer. This makes sense, as there are all sorts of niche processes mastered by one company that another company will not find worth its while to reverse-engineer just for the chance to compete for a slice of that niche.

My quest continues.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1138 Posts
Posted 08/24/2014   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeyPikey, you make good sense. I too am looking for a or the publisher for the gold bordered postcards.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/24/2014   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I said early on in this thread the Eugene Field gold bordered postcards were published by Women's World Magazine as a promotional gimmick. This link would further support that claim:

Quote:
The gold-bordered promotional post card, No. 6 of a set, was put out by Women's World magazine and bore Field's picture in the corner. The advertisement on the back of the card read: Woman's World, largest circulation in the world. Send .25 cents for full year's subscription and this set of 12 postcards, sent free and postpaid at once. Woman's World Dept. k.p. Chicago.

http://www.kchistory.org/cdm4/item_...OBOX=1&REC=9
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3867 Posts
Posted 08/24/2014   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampfan9: Take me at my word when I wish you the best of luck ;)

Identifying the publisher/printer can be awfully dicey.

Consider this attractive logo (below) from a very different card.

My card clearly identifies the publisher as M Reider, Los Angeles.

Asking for trouble, I searched via Google Images, and got some (trouble).

http://www.estatetrinketsandtreasur...s-large.html lists multiple examples of this logo appearing on the back of postcards published by J.I.Austen, Chicago.

Worse, http://www.geyserbob.org/postcards2.html shows cards attributed to both Austen & Rieder with backs that look nothing like the back of my card!

I would lean towards the logo being the property of the printer, but I have no evidence other than the fact that all of the other evidence is a mess.

But it *is* a pretty logo, eh?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudhut1000 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Greetings Wt1, Thank you for posting the whole poem "Lover's Lane, Saint Jo".

I really enjoyed reading it. I just may have to collect all 12 gold bordered Post Cards! Frame them and hang them on my wall.

John
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudhut1000 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

ikeyPikey, Thank you for pointing out to me that in Wt1's post, that the verse was by Eugene Field.

But, you know, ikeyPikey, I actually noted that! Amazing, isn't it? And, I can not see on my post above where I mentioned anything as to whether the verse was or wasn't by Eugene Field. So please, ikeyPikey, tell me what your insinuation is?
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudhut1000 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings again, Wt1, No disrespect, but reference your comment:

Quote:
As I said early on in this thread the Eugene Field gold bordered postcards were published by Women's World Magazine...

The only reference to anything you stated early on in this thread re that your "I said" was:

Quote:
Not sure of the publisher of the card (although I would suspect Woman's World published it).

In that light, what is the importance/reasoning of the above first quote?

Respectfully,

John

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was merely in response to this previous quote.

Quote:
I too am looking for [a or] the publisher for the gold bordered postcards.

I read it to mean that the writer did not catch the earlier reference that Women's World was the card publisher. Of course, I still only "suspect" that to be the case, as I haven't any definitive reference to prove or deny it, but based on what has been posted earlier, it seems accurate.
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudhut1000 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Continuing ikeyPikey:

Quote:
With no disrepect to Motorcycle Memories,...

You assuredly imply that in your above address to me, lacking "No disrespect", that you do in fact "disrespect me. Yes?

Moving along:

Quote:
...folks whose first interest is not postcards will often grab what information is available, and go with it.

As implied above, your first field of interest is collecting Postcards or you must be an expert in all fields.

My first choice is in fact not collecting Postcards. I am, however not only interested in, but collecting Postcards. I have hundreds and hundreds!

I was on "Motorcycle Memories" looking for another Postcard when I saw the above mentioned #3.

John
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05