Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Conical Perforation Pins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 2,175Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
303 Posts
Posted 07/02/2014   01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 65170 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The latest Stamp Insider mentions that Unique Binders (part of SSP USA) uses conical pins that raise bumps in the paper before shaving them off (using blades similar to those used in lawnmowers) to create perforations. When the pins wear they are ground down, resulting in larger perforation holes.

Does any reader know (a) who makes this type of perforator and (b) what name it goes by?

I can briefly summarise a method developed in the UK/Sweden, as follows....
"A stand-alone reel printed rotary perforating method was developed in the early 1960s by a Swedish engineer for Harrison & Sons. Made by APS (AB Produktions Service) of Sweden.

Also known as the 'lawnmower' type because it shaves off raised pimples (located on the pin tool cylinder) with 'burr' blades (on the cutting cylinder), creating holes by abrasion instead of by punching out holes."

The UK/Sweden version has pimples and not conical pins, so we do not experience the need to grind down and therefore manage to maintain the same sized holes through print runs of a stamp.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, GLENN
Send note to Staff
Edited by 65170 - 07/02/2014 01:21 am

Pillar Of The Community
1137 Posts
Posted 11/08/2015   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jorgesurcl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this picture that shows APS system

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2643 Posts
Posted 11/09/2015   9:06 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is called skiving (or is it spelled skivving?)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 2,175Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05