Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Line Art Postcards

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
2119 Posts
Posted 01/19/2016   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
R5 is 50 upside down.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2869 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a line art postcard from the German occupation of Lithuania (Russia) during World War I.It was printed and published by the newspaper of the (German) 10th army. The artwork was by W. Guethlen. It was written on May 16, 1918, mailed to a recipient in Cuxhaven, and postmarked on May 18 from Kowno (Kaunas). The old German Suetterlin script makes the message indecipherable to me.

The card is titled "Wilna Millionarskirche", or Millionaire's Church in Vilnius. I can't find a match for this church on the web. It may be the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul in a restored, or slightly different appearance today.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/18/2016 12:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6381 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IkeyPikey, I just now spotted your card of the 'Boer'nkinkel' at Hoenderloo and it brought back memories as I ate there many a time! The Heineken sign is not really a sign, but a bicycle stand. One can park ten to twelve bikes in that stand, and almost everywhere one goes in the Netherlands one will find these stands!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ikey, I'm just getting around to asking about the windmill card that you posted some time back. Can you tell me if that is engraved? You should be able to feel the raised ink, if it is. I'm assuming it's Dutch?
Edited by GregAlex - 02/18/2016 6:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 02/18/2016   8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Petert4522: Yes, of course, it is a bike rack, and not a sign. Duh.

GregAlex: I will check the very next time I see it. Breathe out.
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
594 Posts
Posted 02/19/2016   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bookbndrbob - Here is an attempt at a translation:

Wilna
Vilnius
Missionarskirche
Mission Church ( http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ab...9957255.html )

den 16.5.18
May 16, 1918

Einen schönen Pfingst-
Warm Whitsuntide
gruss sendet Euch
greetings to you
Euer Sohn John.
from your son John.
Fahre am Sonnabend
On Saturday going
wieder nach Kowno
back to Kaunas
zurück. Sonst noch
again. Otherwise still feeling
gesund und munter.
well and kicking.
Werk wohl noch dort
Work probably still there
kommen wenn die
to come when the
Stachelbeeren reif sind.
gooseberries are ripe.

Zeichnung vom Ldstrm. (Landsturmmann) W. Güthlen
Drawing by Reserve Forces member W. Güthlen
Edited by florian - 02/19/2016 08:13 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2869 Posts
Posted 02/19/2016   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Florian! I could never have worked through that script. And, thanks for the Mission Church link.

Edited by bookbndrbob - 02/19/2016 11:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6381 Posts
Posted 02/19/2016   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GregAlex, the card you are referring to is a reproduction of a Rembrandt etching. I do not know if the card itself is an etching.

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
594 Posts
Posted 02/25/2016   03:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bookbndrbob - My pleasure. You are welcome.

BTW, I appreciated your insight posted on 02/06/2016 10:19 pm on the Collecting by Engraver thread ( http://goscf.com/t/9106&whichpage=169 ). Cheers!
Edited by florian - 02/25/2016 08:19 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 03/03/2016   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Merry Xmas from Aileen, who was writing a book in Innsbruck during the winter of 1969-1970.

This is the first time I've electronically cleaned the image of a slogan cancel to get, well, a cleaner view.

http://www.artnet.com/artists/ernst...Jm-jYt2RRaw2 ... as viewed from the other side

Austria, Mint Tower, Munzturm Hall (Tyrol)
Catalog codes:
ANK AT 1101y
Michel AT 1048y
Yvert et Tellier AT 872BB
Issued on: 1960-02-01
Expiry date: 2002-06-30
Perforation: comb 14 x 13¾
Printing: Offset lithography
Size: 25 x 30 mm
Colors: Violet blue
Face value: 1.80 öS - Austrian schilling
Paper: white, fluorescent
Gum: white
Designer: Hans Strohofer (1885-1961)

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a stylish drawing captioned "The Amen Corner" of the Fifth Avenue Hotel.

I googled "Fifth Avenue Hotel", and quickly found:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_Avenue_Hotel

But that one was open from 1859-1908 on 5th Avenue at 23-24th Street, while 'mine' was on 5th Avenue at 9th Street ... never mind that 'my' postcard was postmarked in 1941!

Reading further about the 1859-1908 Fifth Avenue Hotel, we find:

Quote:
"... From a corner nook in one of the public rooms, which he dubbed his "Amen Corner", Republican political boss Thomas Collier Platt controlled patronage in New York City and State for a few years in the 1890s; here he held his "Sunday School", where projects did not go forward until they had his "amen" ...

"... The old hotel's name was taken up by a Fifth Avenue Hotel at 24 Fifth Avenue ... later converted to apartments ..."

Apparently, the 'new' Fifth Avenue Hotel decided to take on the history, and not just the name ... hence the artwork on the postcard.

I have a PDF of a New York Times article, Fifth Avenue Hotel Closes at Midnight, dated 04/April/1908, which is a treat to read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...in_Manhattan ... List of former hotels in Manhattan

That's not much of a list but, then, as I have not contributed any names, perhaps I should not contribute my criticisms, either.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

I cannot make out the last name of the artist (Casner?), and got nowhere googling that, to boot.

Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
594 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   04:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ikey-Pikey,

Edward Caswell (1879 - 1963)

Regards,

Florián
Edited by florian - 03/29/2018 04:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done, Florian!

I could not find a WikiPage (how often does that happen?) but:

http://www.suzanmazur.com/?p=226

http://thevillager.com/2013/10/17/c...-the-ground/

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
683 Posts
Posted 03/29/2018   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like this set of Esperanto postal cards from Danzig. Unfortunately, they tend to be a bit too rich for my blood, so this is the only one I've bought so far.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3723 Posts
Posted 09/27/2018   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A line art drawing of the Mission San Juan Bautista in California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missi...uan_Bautista

The card is postmarked 19461028 in San Juan Bautista in California.

If the stamp matches, I've got a MaxiCard!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05