Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Marker Monkeys And Other Stamp Crimes.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 303 / Views: 50,682Next Topic
Page: of 21
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chevelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am picking up on this thread on its 19th page and I'm not going to read through all of the previous posts to see if my "solution" has already been addressed. I've seen some of the prior posts examples submitted that were already machine canceled, but nevertheless also hit with a magic marker or pen. To lessen the risk that a magic marker or pen be used to cancel the stamp(s) why not take what you're mailing to the postal clerk and have him/her hand cancel it? Yes, it does take additional time and effort on your part, but it greatly reduces the possibility that your missive will be hit by a pen or magic marker. I sell on eBay and EVERY lot sold and mailed out is hand canceled by a smiling, dutiful and very cooperative postal clerk. I even take non-eBay lots to the clerk to have hand canceled. All of the clerks know me and seem to enjoy having a look at what stamps I've used. Dave
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
'
All well & good, Dave, but you are missing two points.

The first is that the markering falls on the recipient, while the waiting for a hand cancel falls on the sender.

The people posting to this thread are the recipients, while you are talking to the sender ... who may not even be here.

The second is something that I have been meaning to address in its own thread: The Ethics of a Hand Cancel. TBD.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
49 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chevelle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikey/Pikey, I'm going to take exception to your first point. I believe that recipients as well as senders are involved in this thread. If not, then all recipients when they become senders should take heed of the most likely solution - take the missive to the postal clerk and have it hand canceled so as not to have the sender who is now the recipient disappointed.

Your second point regarding the Ethics of a Hand Cancel should be an interesting new thread. Dave
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1376 Posts
Posted 02/11/2020   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nonsense. Philately is simply missing a monetization opportunity here. Here's a future cert and auction catalog blurb, noting the Marker Market Quarterly (MMQ) value.

Quote:
Lot 888. United States, the 1998 Spanish-American War commemorative, used strip of 3 on irregular piece, genuinely canceled with an exceptionally clear and bold yet emotionally neutral, undulating single stroke of the Avery Marks-a-lot type 98028. A captivating piece. Accompanied by 2020 Philatelligence certificate. (MMQ: $64) Est. $40
Valued Member
United States
48 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eraserman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I got this one in the mail last week. It looks like someone took a blue ball point pen to the additional ounce stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1426 Posts
Posted 04/03/2020   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many years ago I received an insured or registered mailing from a Canadian seller that needed to be picked up at the PO. I got there about 5-10 minutes before they closed on a Saturday.

The cover included one of the large $8 Black Bear definitives as well as others. They certainly did not look cancelled but who cares- they were Canadian stamps. I watched as the cretin at the postal counter cancelled all the beautiful stamps with a blue pen.

When asked why she did that, she said it was policy to pen cancel stamps on cover which lacked a visible cancel. I said, these are Canadian, why would USPS care so why would you deface the stamps with a pen???

She told me to step aside, and called out "next in line." Miserable friggin human being.
Valued Member
United States
48 Posts
Posted 04/23/2020   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eraserman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not mine. I saw this on a different site and thought it belonged here.

Valued Member
371 Posts
Posted 04/23/2020   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally autographed by Scooby himself... nice item, congrats.
Valued Member
United States
48 Posts
Posted 05/01/2020   10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eraserman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not mine. I saw these on a different site and thought that they belonged here.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29324 Posts
Posted 05/02/2020   12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As we may observe,
Monkey 1, was obviously a follower of Mondriani,
Whilst Monkey 2, favoured the fluid freehand of Picasso.

Pillar Of The Community
3227 Posts
Posted 05/02/2020   10:12 am  Show Profile Check jogil's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A philatelic crime that I am guilty of is sometimes going to the post office and asking for a meter rather than a stamp on the mailing of something. The reason being is that for the meter, a post receipt is given that shows the postal code on it for the item sent. This is a way of showing that I did mail something to that postal code. It is just a small way of showing it without having to resort to more expensive means eventhough it might not be a fully acceptable proof. I haven't asked about whether I can mix a meter for a smaller part of the amount with stamps for a larger part of the amount.
Edited by jogil - 05/02/2020 10:16 am
Valued Member
United States
48 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   7:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eraserman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I received these today.

The two forever stamps were on the left of the envelope and the two inverted jennys were on the right of the envelope.

As you can see the jennys need to be pushed up a little more so that the marker lines will match.

First time I have received the inverted jennys but at $2.00 a stamp it is understandable.

I like them and if they were a forever stamp I would buy them.
Edited by eraserman - 05/18/2020 7:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 05/18/2020   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I like them and if they were a forever stamp I would buy them ...

They will forever be worth pre-pay two bucks postage, so why not buy them?

If you had enabled PMs in your profile, I would have offered you a few GPU (Genuinely Postally Used).

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Edited by ikeyPikey - 05/18/2020 8:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
423 Posts
Posted 05/19/2020   10:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wkusau to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ikey - eraserman will be able to use email after he reaches 50 posts. I like and hate this thread.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4046 Posts
Posted 05/19/2020   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I like and hate this thread ...

#METOO.

The comforting validation of my individual pain'n'anger is getting swamped by visions of an ugly ocean of defaced postage.

And a little jealousy. People are getting all of these cool covers, and some must getting thru with, like, clean postmarks!

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Page: of 21 Previous TopicReplies: 303 / Views: 50,682Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05