Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Two Very Rare Revenue Imperfs

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 11,686Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
752 Posts
Posted 03/30/2019   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah it's just weird. It didn't start as an imperf. Soft paper, late date big.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7886 Posts
Posted 03/30/2019   10:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I disagree. Those edges are too irregular to have simply been torn. The shade and impression are right for an imperf, and the paper is reasonably thin. Imperfs were being used in California much later then this, so it is certainly possible that is where it was used. I do agree that this is not the typical "sewing machine" type of perfs, but someone could have used some kind of course device to "perforate" a sheet or large multiple. I can't see any way that this stamp could have had regular perfs and wound up looking like this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
552 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Southpaw the irregularity could have come from the use of a tracing wheel. I do not think it was put against a steel rule or edge and torn as it is much rougher than the other imperfs I have seen and have been told that were the means used. 1866 is also a bit of a late date an imperf. its just another mystery in the vast revenue ocean.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 11,686Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05