Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Civil War Photo Lot

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 8,890Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 08/13/2014   9:23 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just got this lot in the mail today. When I bid at auction I had high hopes that it might go unnoticed... but unfortunately at least a few other people saw it and realized the value. It ended up being a good deal, just not the amazing deal it might have been.

I wish they had handstamped or printed cancels and that the one at upper left wasn't munched, but still a nice group.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 08/13/2014   9:43 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! I always look at the backs of old photos at antique stores. I rarely see any with the revenue stamps and if I do it's usually torn off part way.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 08/13/2014   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One fairly nice, 3 cut in, 2 damaged. A nice lot if in the $200-$250 range.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1748 Posts
Posted 08/13/2014   11:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add disi123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rev... awesome find... good eye !
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an interesting tidbit: I just read on the internet that the photography studio of F. & M. Merwin of Newton Falls, Ohio, were only together for two years (1866-1868) which should help to pinpoint the date of the first two images.

Further, it is worth noting that the two who were the photographers were both women, a partnership between sisters by the names of Frances A. Merwin (born circa 1838) and Marion A. Merwin (born circa 1840).

I'm not sure how unusual it may have been back in the Civil War era for women to be in a partnership business as photographers, but it seems interesting nonetheless.
Edited by wt1 - 08/14/2014 12:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   02:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice lot! In addition, the top middle photo is quite unusual because the subject appears to be smiling. which is hardly ever seen in photos of this period
Pillar Of The Community
United States
617 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   02:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raymodj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are more examples from a 2008 thread if interested.
http://goscf.com/t/71&whichpage=1

So the photographer would have some of these stamps on hand and charge customers the amount of the tax. That must mean the photographer also cancelled the stamp?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   07:12 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One fairly nice, 3 cut in, 2 damaged. A nice lot if in the $200-$250 range.

It came in at roughly half that amount.

In case anyone missed it, the significance of this lot is not the subject matter or that the CDVs have stamps (which are actually quite common; run-of-the-mill stamped CDVs are $3-10 items), but rather the specific stamps that were used. They are all R17c, cataloging $175 each.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Photos were only taxed for 2 years, 1864 and 1865, so dating the images is easy enough in that general way.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5348 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   08:14 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Photos were only taxed for 2 years, 1864 and 1865, so dating the images is easy enough in that general way.

Mild correction: While it was indeed a 2-year span, it straddled 3 calendar years. The tax was in effect from August 1, 1864 through July 31, 1866... so there are 1866-dated cancels on CDVs that are legitimate.
Edited by revenuecollector - 08/14/2014 08:14 am
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/14/2014   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that the Merwin sisters only came into business in 1866, along with the fact that the tax stamps were in effect only through July 31, 1866, would suggest that the first two images were taken during the first seven months of 1866. Just another piece to more accurately date the images.

Also, the last card, with image taken by Brown, Williams & Co. of St. Louis seems to have a manuscript cancel reading August 8, 1864, which suggests the image was taken within the first week the new tax was put in place.

More on Brown, Williams & Co. here:

Edited by wt1 - 08/14/2014 09:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
617 Posts
Posted 08/15/2014   01:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raymodj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

In case anyone missed it, the significance of this lot is not the subject matter or that the CDVs have stamps (which are actually quite common; run-of-the-mill stamped CDVs are $3-10 items), but rather the specific stamps that were used. They are all R17c, cataloging $175 each.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that when including the link. The first group weren't even playing card stamps, just a mixed bag. I found it interesting that at a certain point you could use any of the stamps to pay the tax.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7666 Posts
Posted 08/16/2014   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually legally you couldn't. The original idea was to use each stamp for only the purpose it was labeled for. It became obvious almost immediately that this was a totally impractical idea, so by December of 1862 a memo went out stating that proprietary and playing cards stamps were to be used interchangeably for only those types of products and all other stamps could be used interchangeably for any other tax requirement needing stamps. Since photographs are proprietary articles this stamp was a legal use.
The end result of that memo was that the government stopped ordering one, two cent orange, three, and four cent playing cards stamps and just used proprietary stamps for almost everything. The two cent blue had a very large initial printing, so it is far more common than the others.
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 08/16/2014   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mudhut1000 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulation on a wonderful find. Keep posting your good finds as it's a real treat to view them! Thanks
Edited by mudhut1000 - 08/16/2014 5:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
749 Posts
Posted 12/28/2015   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Time to bump this CDV thread!

Over the holiday I took a dive into CDVs on eBay - I believe there were about 50,000! there

I ended up buying 3 lots for myself for Christmas. The card with the R17 hasn't arrived yet, but here are some I got in the mail today:

most of the CDVs I'm interested in are those with graphic backs and/or first issue revs. This one is lovely.

This next one could be an example with a genuine misperf...

A small but very nice typographical back mark...

And two printed Gill's City Gallery examples...

here are the fronts...

Pillar Of The Community
United States
749 Posts
Posted 12/28/2015   11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and here are some I got last month in Asheville, strictly for their back marks...

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 8,890Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05