Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Civil War Photo Lot

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 9,198Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
851 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, southpaw. I especially like the hand-tinted soldier.

I haven't acquired many CDVs lately, but here are a couple I don't think I've posted before.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
752 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ive been grabbing images of backstamps with identifiable cancels off eBay for a while. Has anybody created and updating a database of photographers cancels? I know studebaker Don has created an insurance cancel one.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5498 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   01:05 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's Bruce Baryla's CD-ROM, although it's long out of date. He had talked about updating it at one point, but I don't know if that is still planned.

I have a reference page based on items in my collection, but of course that is incomplete:

https://revenue-collector.com/cgi-b...ographer.cgi
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
851 Posts
Posted 03/03/2018   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stauffer is on the Baryla list, but Zeno Goodell is not.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
752 Posts
Posted 04/12/2019   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I haven't picked up many CDVs lately, but I want to share an item I picked up last night. Not really a CDV, but it is the same size. Great info on the back, holding in the photo (tintype?), and put on after the revenue, as not to obscure their ad.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8123 Posts
Posted 04/12/2019   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Odd that it does not mention the city, just the address.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2903 Posts
Posted 04/12/2019   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's Baltimore. I suppose it was intended for local folks only. Confirmed at:
https://archive.org/details/woodsba...alt/page/236
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 04/12/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I mentioned previously on this thread that I had a few of these, and also always looked on the back of old photos.

Found this bespeckled gentleman from Philadelphia in an antique shop in Harrisonburg VA on a recent visit.

Showing it to the dealer, she was quite surprised. Got to lecture a southerner about a little civil war history. She was polite anyway...
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 38 / Views: 9,198Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05