Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Circus Themed Sheetlet Only Available In Stamp Yearbook

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,684Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/15/2014   6:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For some of us who ordered the FDCs early before the press sheet was announced it was not so clear. I am sure many fell into this and more FDC were ordered than usual. So, does the Circus FDC's contain souvenir sheets from the 10,000 press sheets, thus reducing the # of press sheets available or did they print additional press sheets for the FDC's?

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 12/15/2014 6:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 12/15/2014   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One would think that the 10k PS that were printed for sale as PS were in fact 10k PS and that those used for FDC's were taken from the overall print run.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/15/2014   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to agree.

After all, the printing of the souvenir sheet happens before the die cuts are added, so it's less complex to merely use the imperforate (between stamps) souvenir sheet for the FDC and only die cut those souvenir sheets that are included in the Yearbook.
Edited by wt1 - 12/15/2014 8:28 pm
Valued Member
186 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   04:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone find the cancel on this FDC ugly? I feel that the bowling pins that the little guy is juggling completely ruin the stamps. I am also surprised to find that this is not a DCP.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For sure with it's high price it should had been at least a digital color cancel.

Albert
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   07:35 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also agree that the FDCs were made from the 10K press sheets. The postal bulletin lists the total quantity printed so they must come from that supply.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   09:33 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone find the cancel on this FDC ugly? I feel that the bowling pins that the little guy is juggling completely ruin the stamps.

Actually, I think it's a rather ingenious way to ensure that all 3 "stamps" within the sheet were canceled.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   2:15 pm  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
does anyone know how many perforated circus souvenir sheets were printed? How many yearbooks are usually sold?
I think the perforated sheet in the yearbook is bound to be a $100 sheet once the yearbook is sold out or goes off sale. Everyone now is excited about the imperf sheets but I believe they will exist in much larger quantities than the booklet version.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone know how many perforated circus souvenir sheets were printed? How many yearbooks are usually sold?

No. At least not that I'm aware of. IMO, the USPS is intentionally keeping this information private.

I agree with your assessment that the die cut souvenir sheet in the Yearbook will be a more highly prized item than the Press Sheet version because of the scarcity factor, but whether the USPS sells 1000 or 10,000 or more is anybody's guess.

Besides, one must consider that the USPS is marketing this in anticipation that it will drum up more sales of their Yearbook, so Yearbook sales of past years may not be indicative of what the 2014 Yearbook sales will be.

It is also something of a test market by the USPS to ascertain if significantly higher sales result from offering a "limited edition" item that no one can get if they don't buy the Yearbook.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know how many yearbooks they usually sell, but consider that 10,000 press sheets amounts to 120,000 mini sheets. Some will get used for postage, many will remain intact as entire sheets in dealer stocks and collections and in the hands of speculators. How many will end up being cut up and available for sale as single, mint condition sheets in, say, the next couple years? Is half too conservative? Even if it's as high as 80-100,000, I certainly wouldn't think that they are going to be *that* much more common than the yearbook version.

However, that being said, I doubt many speculators or dealers are going to buy yearbooks by the hundreds just to get that sheet. Plus a lot of yearbooks will be bought by casual collectors who won't know what they have, meaning it will take them a long time to reach the secondary market. On the other hand, the press sheets forced you to buy 12 mini-sheets, meaning everyone who bought a press sheet because they want one mini sheet now has 11 extra copies to dispose of. There will be an initial flood of mini-sheets cut from a press sheet, whereas the yearbook version will likely be no more than a trickle by comparison. I would definitely expect the yearbook version to sell for much higher initially but over time the prices of the two versions will probably get closer together.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just as a note: The juggler is tossing 'indian clubs' not bowling pins which are normal for a circus act. These were used in gyms for tossing (or juggling)for dexterity exercise back when. ( I think they were also props in many slap stick comedy movies, especially the Stooges) The use is very apropos as they get to cover all stamps in a single cancel. I was also thinking that the FDC was of the 'die cut' item but reading the note and thinking about the application of the sheet to the envelope, makes sense to use the sheet sans die cuts.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   5:32 pm  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it is important to consider distribution of the stamp to the collector when assessing the aftermarket. The sheet from the yearbook will have distribution similar to the Legends of the West lottery. One here, one there and not many in dealer stocks. The book sheet will be in collections since dealers aren't about to lay out $65 for the yearbook in any quantity. The imperf sheet will be in circulation and all over the place. Anyone lucky enough to have the press sheet at face will do very well also in my opinion, but the way more valuable one will be the perforated yearbook sheet.
Edited by stampCat7 - 12/16/2014 5:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just as an add on the die cut sheet from the yearbook, many collectors my self included only could afford one book, but also like to keep the collection complete so a certain number of sheets won't be removed from the book for sale and will have to wait to be stripped by dealers at a later date. The books themselves may sell at a substantial premium in the short run. But these are two additional factors that could drive pricing up on the yearbook version. Is Scott just going to footnote this? Seems the book version is the normal sheet and the imdiecuts are the more common varieties in this flip flop situation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is Scott just going to footnote this?

Indications so far is that it'll be just footnoted without either a major or a minor number, meaning of course that next year's supplements won't have a space for them. The smart money says that sooner or later they'll assign them at least a minor number,along with the imperf press sheets they've been attempting to ignore for the past few years. Eventually they'll get sick of all that ink they're wasting on endless footnotes and just assign numbers to save space.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 12/16/2014   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MarginBlocks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What I have found interesting is that no die-cut circus souvenir sheets from the yearbook have appeared on eBay.
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,684Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05