Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Circus Themed Sheetlet Only Available In Stamp Yearbook

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,688Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   09:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
^
Actually, all that are available on eBay are from press sheets.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   09:23 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The yearbooks haven't even started shipping yet, have they?
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   09:45 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was at least one perforated circus souvenir sheet with perfs that was being offered on eBay. It was a starting bid for the sheet of $47 and buy it now of $60.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
^
Actually, you're correct. I used the wrong search term.
There isn't one right now, but the one you mentioned sold for $60+shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331415490696
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MarginBlocks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the die-cut souvenir sheet is going to sell singly for $60, I guess I will have to purchase a yearbook. At least I will have $42 in leftover postage to use or sell in order to keep the $2 die-cut souvenir sheet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have also have bitten the bullet and ordered a yearbook yesterday since the FDC is not die cut.

Don't want to be only one without the die cut version.
Albert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At this time, $60 is much too high. Buy a yearbook & use the $40+ of stamps for postage. Or sell it on eBay as discount postage. Much cheaper than spending $60 for a single SS.
In the long run however, I suspect $60 will prove to be a good price as demand is likely to outstrip availability. Unless, of course, the USPS pulls some sort of shenanigans.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two current auctions for the circus s/s from the yearbook in case anyone is interested in what these sell for:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221638655467
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141510904281

Given the total print quantity specified in the PB (300k s/s) I fear that USPS will be milking the yearbook and produce as many as possible. Previous yearbooks are still available and the only solution to make it a worthwhile collectible is to announce a print quantity and stick to it. Maybe 10k?
But I do hope USPS won't repeat this year's yearbook only nonsense again next year!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note the second eBay listing shown above states (apparently correctly) that as of 12/17/2014 the 2014 Yearbook is again placed on "pre-order" status with the USPS Store with a ship date delayed until at least 12/22/2014, which pretty much means that anyone who has not ordered it already, will have to seek one out at a post office or wait until after the Christmas holiday for the item.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse...gs-yearbooks
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
^
This explains why the 2014 Yearbook has yet to appear in USPS' eBay store (remember - you get 2% 'cashback' in the form of eBay bucks when ordering through eBay).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
remember - you get 2% 'cashback' in the form of eBay bucks

Often more. For today and tomorrow they're offering (to me, at least) 5x bucks, or 10% back (11% if you use PayPal credit) with no minimum purchase. I always try to buy my postage and supplies those days. It's like getting discount postage right from the post office!
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the footnoting. What will Scott footnote here? I mean the yearbook sheet is special, the press sheets are special, the first days are Special. There is no regular issue for this issue, right? So how will there be a foot note? Is it really as humorous as it seems regarding how Scott is going to respond to USPS and collectors on this issue.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   10:00 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Talked to someone today who got both their yearbook and press sheet.

As to the question earlier, I'd bet the supply used for the FDC's is above and beyond what was announced for the press sheets and not part of that quantity.

And I don't care if the ones in the yearbook are going for $60 or if they might become $100, I'm not ordering one as I don't want to encourage the USPS to continue this outrageous type of thing.
Edited by eyeonwall - 12/17/2014 10:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
Posted 12/17/2014   10:32 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Outrageous"? Hardly.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/18/2014   03:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think there are so many orders for 2014 stamp year books that USPS has to continue to print(reprint) them. Before they sold x # of yearbooks, now this year there are so many real stamp collectors ordering because of the souvenir sheet they keep under estimating.

Many, like myself, after receiving the FDC with a uncut die(press sheet version) instead of the expected die cut version decided to order the year book to get a specimen of the real stamp. Most of us assume a FDC has the issued stamp on an envelope, which in this case should have been the die cut- has anyone ever heard of a FDC of a press sheet issued by USPS rather than the issued stamp itself?

Albert
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,688Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05