Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Circus Themed Sheetlet Only Available In Stamp Yearbook

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,686Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 12/18/2014   11:41 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why Yes! Scott 3095 was printed with skips in the perforations so they could be easily removed and placed well aligned onto the Riverboat posters, some of them with First Day of Issue postmark. The post office had these panes for sale in the postal catalog for 1 month before they sold out. So the stamps from the special printing have a minor number in Scott because of the difference in perforation. In the case of these circus stamps, I think the people at the post office didn't realise or didn't think it would matter which sheet was placed on the FDCs. If they advertised them as having the same version as from the sheet in the yearbook, and you received the one from the press sheet you should be able to return it. However, it is still a FDC of this circus imperf version which will evetually have a listing different from the yearbook version. Both types will eventually be listed I believe along with all these other recent imperfs.

Also does anybody have a FDC received of the yearbook version? If not, someone will be making FDCs of them with a local postmark for sure.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
186 Posts
Posted 12/19/2014   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I received the year book today. There is $38.22 worth of stamps in it excluding the circus sheet, so one is paying $26.73 for the circus sheet. Given its current and prospective market value, buying the year book is a no-brainer bargain.

No matter how much some here whine and complain, all indications are that this USPS ploy is turning out to be a resounding success. Expect more of the same next year and beyond.

If I were the USPS, I'd start to issue more and more oddball items (not limited to year books) to milk gullible collectors dry. Who cares what Scott editors do. The one who is laughing all the way to the bank is the USPS.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 12/19/2014   10:59 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"all indications are that this USPS ploy is turning out to be a resounding success"

What indications? Do you have any sales figures the rest of us don't have?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 12/20/2014   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The success goes to the quickness of the sales. 1. the Press sheet has (for all intensive purposes) sold out. 2. The yearbook has been again delayed (for late orders) to meet demand so I would suspect that these are in additional print (or back order from the printer) for orders not yet filled (surpassing previous year sales, [this could also require an additional printing of the press sheet to provide sufficient supply for the year book {&maybe more press sheets??}].). Is it because of the Circus issue, that remains but an assumption. But the Circus issue certainly didn't hurt sales. So from the market evidence available, I would say the 'ploy' was successful and the after market for either the single yearbook pane or the press sheets will determine demand against a limited supply. There 10,000 known press sheets printed, and unknown yearbooks available (original print and subsequent). When sales for the yearbook diminish (maybe 2-3 years from now) the USPS will pull from sale, destroy the stamp stock and give away the year book to youth clubs. Because many of the stamp issues are 'Forever' the USPS may decide that the issues are relevant beyond 2-3 years and continue to sell the book. Just looking at past history & and pondering. (As long as there are right side Jenny issues available, these also might have a longer than usual marketing period).
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/20/2014   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For whatever it's worth the USPS Store's website has the 2014 Yearbook back "in stock" for immediate sale:

https://store.usps.com/store/browse...p-collectors
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
Posted 12/20/2014   2:47 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the USPS is up to its regular customer service. I ordered Circus press sheets via phone the 2nd day they were available for preorder back in November. My credit card was charged on Dec. 8. Nothing received thus far, when everyone I know who ordered has already received theirs. I just hung up after spending an hour on hold trying to get order status and never did reach a human being.

Bah! Humbug!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/21/2014   01:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My card was also charged on 12/8, received tube on 12/16.
Albert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 12/21/2014   9:28 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The press sheets did so well because some people went that way instead of the yearbooks. I don't think you can say that the "order delays" for the yearbooks means they are making an additional printing.
Valued Member
143 Posts
Posted 12/22/2014   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrEos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone is dividing up a press sheet, I'd be interested in having a sheetlet put on an envelope and mailed to me. {myUserName} at charter.net.
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 12/22/2014   12:10 pm  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the reason the circus press sheets did so well is because it was the only way to get the souvenir sheet. It really is an issue of its own with only 120,000 souvenir sheets printed. Only 2K more than the imperf bugs bunny issue. Also, the SF did not have a limit on how many one can purchase. So it didn't take long for dealers to scarf this one up. I know of one dealer that was able to get 100 press sheets for $2400. That is why it did so well and why they are all over the place on eBay now.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
Posted 12/22/2014   3:10 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just got off the phone with the fulfillment center. An hour and 15 minutes on hold only to find out that while they did charge my card on December 8, for whatever reason my order was never processed. So much for using these on Christmas parcels.

Incompetent b*stards.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
Posted 12/22/2014   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatelia7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did they print 120,000 souvenir sheets or 120,000 press sheets?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/22/2014   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I decided to purchased a single imperf circus on eBay for $3.50 + $1.00 shipping rather than cut my circus press sheet at this time.
Albert
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/22/2014   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did they print 120,000 souvenir sheets or 120,000 press sheets?

The USPS printed 10,000 Press Sheets of 12 souvenir sheets = 120,000 souvenir sheets.

Just to confuse things, the USPS is quoted in the Postal Bulletin as printing 900,000 STAMPS. Since there are three (3) stamps to each souvenir sheet, 360,000 stamps can be said to be used on the 10,000 Press Sheets, leaving 540,000 stamps (180,000 souvenir sheets) remaining for use in preparing USPS-serviced First Day Covers, along with the die-cut version of the souvenir sheet that is included in the 2014 Stamp Yearbook.

http://about.usps.com/postal-bullet...info_008.htm

As far as I know, outside of the 10,000 Press Sheets, the USPS has not identified the specific quantity of stamps and/or souvenir sheets used for each of these other philatelic product offerings, but one would assume that a large enough quantity was made available for this use (and for any damaged goods that may need to be returned for replacement) and the remainders will ultimately be destroyed.

Of course, there's no telling if the USPS will change things mid-stream, but that's the best information we have available to date.

Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 12/23/2014   02:43 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WT1 - your math is correct. It is also clear from the complaints of collectors that FDCs were made from the imperf version of the 10K press sheets.
Edited by stampCat7 - 12/23/2014 04:54 am
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,686Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05