Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Circus Themed Sheetlet Only Available In Stamp Yearbook

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,699Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, I realize that you are most likely correct but it is still a thought only at this time to use the stamp. However, I am not sure a postally used stamp would necessarily be reduced to the value of an FDC. On the other hand, it is certainly a possibility. The only modern example I can think of that is not in agreement with your opinion was a postally used in period copy of the Bugs Bunny imperforate on cover that sold for around $40-50 less than a year ago. The MNH Bugs imperforate started around $175.00 back when it was learned of the scarcity of it. It has slowly be losing value over the years to where the one used copy and MNH will eventually be identical, IF that is, the devaluing of MNH continues. The last time I checked there were lots of BB no die cuts listed including 2 or 3 that were $55 BIN. Anyways, I would not use it in hopes of increasing its value, just to have it as used but not FDC. This is all just a thought for now and whether or not I do buy it will depend on numerous factors of which I currently have little information.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may have a point that a postally used (non-FDC) example of the stamps may generate greater value than one on a FDC or merely removed from a FDC for collecting purposes. Speculation is all it is right now.

What bothers me is there is nothing to prevent the USPS from making available mint sheetlets later on if their Stamp Yearbook sales proves a failure to move these items. I think I mentioned early on that the number of sheetlets needed to meet FDC demand will likely be in the tens of thousands (or more), so one has to assume that the initial printing will be considerable, unless the USPS decides to simply destroy what doesn't sell in the Stamp Yearbook.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulyann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I usually buy the stamp yearbook every year anyway, because it is the easiest way of keeping current on all the past years issues. Plus you get precut mounts for all the stamps including the souvenir sheets. And as a bonus you get the nice book itself. I think a lot of collectors do the same.
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What bothers me is there is nothing to prevent the USPS from making available mint sheetlets later

Good point, I had not thought of that possibility
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This was posted on another stamp collecting website, but since it's a USPS-issued flyer, I guess it's okay to post here as well. It announces the upcoming mint sheetlet available only in the Stamp Yearbook and that pre-orders can be made beginning September 1, 2014:

Edited by wt1 - 08/25/2014 5:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   6:24 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"as they typically will not assign a Scott number to stamps that do not have full nationwide distribution for postal use"

That is not why. There are things that did not receive nationwide distribution (The imperf Looney Tunes come to mind as one example). The reason these won't be listed is beacuase they will effectively cost way more than face value.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   6:26 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"why shouldn't the USPS employ whatever legitimate commercial means to enhance its revenue?"

I don't consider it legit
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   6:27 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Yes, some will buy them and some won't. One collector's junk is another's treasure. Let the chips fall as they may!"

the cowchips
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7658 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since I collect the Transportation Series, I guess I am going to have to buy the yearbook also?
Also, I am wondering if the two 50 cent stamps will be coils? And are these two stamps part of the sheetlet?

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/25/2014   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since I collect the Transportation Series, I guess I am going to have to buy the yearbook also?
Also, I am wondering if the two 50 cent stamps will be coils? And are these two stamps part of the sheetlet?

We're all guessing at this point, as no official design has been released, but from what printed description I have read, the three stamps (one $1 stamp featuring Circus Poster and two 50c Stamps Featuring Circus Wagon) are contained within the single sheetlet.

I doubt the Circus Wagon stamps would be coils, as they are part of the sheetlet and would not be detachable for use as postage if it were.

Referring back to the previously posted USPS flyer on them, the sheetlet will feature:

> A $1 stamp featuring a Circus Poster, printed in offset;
> Two 50c Circus Wagon stamps, printed intaglio, reproduced from a die proof from USPS archives;
> Die Cut Selvage with metallic ink border.

What hasn't been made clear (at least not to me) is how the FDCs are going to be produced. In other words, will they feature the entire sheetlet or will only the three stamps detached from a sheetlet be part of those sales? My first thought is to guess the latter, as I suspect the USPS wants to reserve the entire sheetlet for Stamp Yearbook buyers. On the other hand, the time and effort to remove the stamps from a sheetlet for FDC orders may be too labor intensive, so perhaps the whole FDC cancelled sheetlet will be offered.

I guess we just wait and see.
Edited by wt1 - 08/25/2014 7:30 pm
Valued Member
122 Posts
Posted 08/26/2014   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would assume that the FDC will include the entire sheetlet as opposed to the three stamps removed from the sheetlet. But since we have no details about the sheetlet, such as its overall size, we can only speculate.

I'm not sure I understand this statement regarding the Circus Wagon stamps in the sheetlet: "reproduced from a 1990s die proof pulled from the Postal Service archives". I thought a die proof was a print from the die, not the die itself. So is a new die/plate being created from the old proof using some photographic method? Or perhaps not. The flyer says the Circus Wagon stamps will be "printed as intaglio". What does that mean? Is it intaglio or not?

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   07:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even though pre-sales of the 2014 Stamp Yearbook were supposed to start September 1, the pre-order link is available on-line today. The cost is $64.95, including the hardcover Yearbook, 89 stamps with mounts and, of course, the mint souvenir sheet exclusive to it. Shipping is expected sometime in November on a date yet to be determined:

https://store.usps.com/store/browse...gs-yearbooks
Rest in Peace
United States
7097 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add I_Love_Stamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They certainly went to a lot of trouble to print it anyways (in two different presses) Offset & Intaglio printed it states..
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you look at the link wt1 put up it shows a full pane of the Circus Poster issue with the book. Now I am of the opinion that the sheetlet is in addition to a full pane Circus Poster. Anyone thinking the same way??? (I was thinking that the sheetlet was instead of the full pane)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many of us have standing order accounts where all stamps issued during the year are shipped every quarter- personally I have had one since 1954. It seems harsh on us loyal customers to be forced to purchase duplicates to get the sheetlet. We should have at least have the option to purchase yearbook & sheetlet only without other stamps ?
Albert
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,699Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05