Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Circus Themed Sheetlet Only Available In Stamp Yearbook

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,697Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 09/26/2014   06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not understand the rates used on this sheetlet(as well as others in the past)? I can't seem to find a common postage service that cost exactly $1, nor 50c? Why didn't the USPS at least use real postage rates so the sheetlet would act more as a stamps rather than a labels?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Albert
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/26/2014   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why didn't the USPS at least use real postage rates so the sheetlet would act more as a stamps rather than a labels?

Probably in anticipation that most who acquire the souvenir sheets will retain them as collectibles and so most will never see postal use. That means virtually 100% profit for the USPS.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 09/26/2014   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulyann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a no brainer for me! Almost $50 of stamps for $65 and you get a nice full color book and the mounts. Try buying the years commemoratives from a dealer for $65. Additionally one can not buy 1 Harvey Milk .49 cent stamp from the catalogue . You have to buy 4 at $1.96. This goes for a number of issues. I will buy the book. To those who are complaining: DO NOT BUY IT! No one is holding a gun to your head. One of the great aspects of the hobby is that we decide what we want to collect, not the USPS. For example, I do not care about collecting uncut press sheets without die cuts, so I do not collect them. Some people do. If you enjoy collecting them, go for it! I will not think less of you for collecting them or the USPS for selling them. If there is enough demand they will continue to sell them. If demand lessens they will no longer. For example the artist signed Duck Sheetlets.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/26/2014   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If there is enough demand they will continue to sell them. If demand lessens they will no longer.

I am one who will not buy stamp yearbooks. In fact, I sincerely hope the USPS loses their shirt on this one and they will be forced out of offering "special" souvenir sheets only to one who must fork over $20+ in a book value that in my opinion is worthless. I do not collect USPS books and obviously I'm one who objects to stamps being offered only in such sets. Of course, for those who desire these books, go for it. It just won't be bought by me.

Sure, we can all rationalize the value of the stamps and mounts included in the USPS Yearbook and justify that "for a small fee" of $20 or so, you get a "nice full color book", but I don't want to wait until the end of the year to buy new issues all at once and even though the book only works out to an extra $20 or so, I'd rather spend that extra amount on stamps than to have the book.

To each their own, I guess.
Edited by wt1 - 09/26/2014 09:44 am
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 09/26/2014   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And I would prefer USPS were to include ALL stamps issued during a calendar year in the YEARbook, not just a selection. And to make matters worse multiples of some (e.g. 2x circus) are included... If you were to sell the stamps separately from the book you could hardly call it a year set!
I think this will be my last year of USPS stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 09/27/2014   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I don't like the idea of being forced to purchase the year book to acquire the limited special issued sheetlet, I do not think USPS has anything to loose in their mind. There are a known certain number of people who purchase yearbooks every year, so I don't believe they will lose anymore than they have in the past with this offering-if anything they will sell more yearbooks and loose less(assuming they are losing). I know many of us say we will not purchase the YB, but in the end, many of us will end up doing so (particularly if Scott assigns a number and provides a page in their annual supplements) because we just can't stand a blank spot in our albums. If this is done again next year I will think about reducing my standing order account by what is contained in the annual sets and start purchasing the yearbooks instead- maybe that is one of their considerations for issuing a yearbook containing most of annual stamps issued- they would save all those pieces of cardboard, packaging, shipping cost, processing cost, etc. UPDATE according to Linn's, Scott will not be listing this sheetlet in its catalogs - haven't we heard the before?
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 09/27/2014 3:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
513 Posts
Posted 09/28/2014   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lpmiller to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since my local post office now doesn't order newly issued stamps until the older ones are exhausted, purchasing the yearbook might be the better option for me. However, if my memory serves me correct, the yearbook with stamps doesn't include the different definitive varieties produced by all the printers used by USPS. For example, this year's Star Spangled Banner issue which is produced in numerous formats by AP, SSP, and CCL. It has been a number of years since I purchased one of the yearbooks, I could be completely wrong on this, but I seem to recall only receiving one example of each definitive vice one of each format with the yearbook. Is this accurate or is CRS setting in on me?
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/28/2014   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the yearbook with stamps doesn't include the different definitive varieties produced by all the printers used by USPS.

You are partially correct ... but it's worse than that: The Stamp Yearbook doesn't include ANY so-called "definitive" stamp issues, nor does it include holiday issues or high value stamps (such as Priority Mail rate, etc.). It's really only a partial set of stamps.

To quote from the Linn's Stamp News article previously posted on the last page of this thread:

Quote:
Full panes of the following issues are to be included with the new yearbook:

Vintage Circus Posters (16 stamps), Civil War: 1864 (12 stamps), War of 1812: Fort McHenry (20 stamps), and an "as-yet unannounced" pane of 20.

Multiple stamps will be included for the Wilt Chamberlain issue (2), Celebrity Chefs (5), Medal of Honor: Korean War (2), and Farmers Markets (4).

Single stamps will be included for the Shirley Chisholm, Harvey Milk, Charlton Heston, Janis Joplin, Nevada Statehood and Year of the Horse issues.

Also included is the three-stamp souvenir sheet.

Not all of the 2014 stamps are included in the yearbook. Packets of what the Postal Service calls "mail use" stamps, which collectors identify as definitives and special stamps, will be offered separately.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/28/2014   12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...my local post office now doesn't order newly issued stamps until the older ones are exhausted

I'm not sure if this may be entirely accurate. For most new issues, the USPS has an automatic distribution to all post offices nationwide. I don't know if smaller post offices can reduce or eliminate that order altogether.

I use a local one-clerk post office that's only open about 4 hours per day and they get all the new issues faithfully. Granted they only get a small amount (i.e. 200 stamps or 10 panes of 20) but they almost always have them on the first day of issue, because they can access their own safe and don't need to wait for some supervisor to put them out to the clerks for sale, which is usually where the problem lies when trying to buy newly issued stamps from larger post offices.
Edited by wt1 - 09/28/2014 12:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 09/28/2014   12:54 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In not listing this, Scott is being selectively inconsistent. They need to get off their high horse. Is it valid postage issued by the USPS? Yes. Just list the damned thing.

As far as all of the whining going on, as someone who has decades of experience in worldwide philatelic and numismatic collectibles, this doesn't even measure a blip on the radar of "rip offs" when it comes to created-for-collector items. You're getting almost $45 face value of stamps for the $67 outlay (including shipping), including a sheet available nowhere else. That is HARDLY a major markup in order to get the mint sheetlet.

I don't see people outraged when they have to pay above face value for first day covers. How is this realistically any different?

Y'all need to get out more and see what other philatelic and numismatic entities charge for specialty items. This is nothing.

I may buy a few just for buy-and-hold purposes. Worst-case scenario I'm out the $22 beyond the postage face value. That is a very small downside risk.
Edited by revenuecollector - 09/28/2014 12:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7658 Posts
Posted 09/28/2014   1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, the post office in my town is fairly large and got larger when the older post office in town closed last year. But they do not have most new issues by any means. Each time I ask for something: "Oh, we did not order that one". So they must not automatically get the new issues!

Peter
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/28/2014   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd check with your Postmaster to be sure, but I suspect the clerks are just "giving you a line" about ordering them, since most stamps are nationally distributed. Here's an excerpt from the Postal Bulletin about the recent Celebrity Chefs stamps that refers to them automatically shipping a 30 day supply to post offices:

Granted, the post offices are not going to get all of the definitives or high value stamps or special issues going only to "Premier" post offices unless they specifically order them, but that doesn't apply for most commemorative issues.
Edited by wt1 - 09/28/2014 1:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7658 Posts
Posted 09/28/2014   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I am not really needing them, I do not collect US any more. But I would like to use certain commemoratives on my mail and that kind of attitude makes it difficult. I volunteer at a school in another town, and now I get whatever I want at their post office!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
513 Posts
Posted 09/28/2014   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lpmiller to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, thanks for the correction regarding the definitives, etc. The information you included seems to also indicate that the Korean War Medal of Honor prestige folio will also not be included - just the two stamps. Is that the way you read it too? The USPS yearbook certainly leaves a great number of holes empty in a collector's album.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/28/2014   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The information you included seems to also indicate that the Korean War Medal of Honor prestige folio will also not be included - just the two stamps. Is that the way you read it too?

Yes. That's my read of the description, too.

What I also find interesting is that "one" (1) Year of the Horse stamp is included; "one" (1) Charlton Heston stamp is included; and "one" (1) Janis Joplin stamp is included ... not the entire panes of those stamps, whereas if you went to a postal counter (or via SFS) you'd have to buy the entire pane as the stamp(s) are not available as a single, except (apparently) with the yearbook.

Which makes me wonder: What happened to the Jimi Hendrix stamp? It's not mentioned as being included as part of the yearbook!?
Edited by wt1 - 09/28/2014 4:26 pm
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,697Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05