Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Circus Themed Sheetlet Only Available In Stamp Yearbook

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,681Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 09/30/2014   11:05 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't recall which issues and I'm not going to go through old postal buuletins to look it up, but I have the impression that not all issues this year have had an auto distribution.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 09/30/2014   11:08 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Worst-case scenario I'm out the $22 beyond the postage face value"

That depends on whether you have a need for the other stamps in the book. If you have already purchased the same stamps for your collection, and if you are like many of us who alreasy have too much excess postage, then what you are buying would be valued as discount postage, not as face value postage.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/03/2014   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A good Linn's editorial on the subject of this thread:

http://linns.com/news/editorial-ins...Circus-sheet

I also point out this quote:

Quote:
Based on what is known thus far, it is a near certainty that the Scott editors will not assign a catalog number to the Circus sheet because of the limited distribution via the 2014 yearbook. Instead, the sheet will probably be acknowledged in a footnote accompanying the listing for the Circus Poster stamps. Similar treatment may be expected for the souvenir sheet first-day covers that the Postal Service plans to offer.

If that holds true, I wonder if Album Supplements will or will not include a space for this item?
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/03/2014   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS Store's website for the 2014 Stamp Yearbook now offers a detailed image of the US Circus-themed sheetlet (available in mint condition in the Stamp Yearbook only).

It is interesting that the USPS rendition shows a larger red border and different die cuts than that previously published by Linn's Stamp News. I would assume the USPS version is the more accurate one, as shown below:

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the two images, although in all fairness, the Linn's image was noted to be only a "preliminary" design:

Edited by wt1 - 10/03/2014 2:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
Posted 10/03/2014   4:23 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The original Linns image actually is more aesthetically appealing than the USPS image, IMHO.
Edited by revenuecollector - 10/03/2014 4:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 10/05/2014   01:53 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I wonder if Album Supplements will or will not include a space for this item?"

Different album makers will handle it differently (like they have with the imperfs from the press sheets)
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/08/2014   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The latest Linn's Stamp News report is that the 2014 Yearbook will be released on December 10th (including the Circus Poster Souvenir Sheet) and it is also being reported that the USPS plans to issue PRESS SHEETS for the Circus Poster Souvenir Sheet in a yet-to-be-announced quantity and configuration (i.e. with or without die cuts).

Add yet another collectible to your Holiday Wish List!

http://linns.com/news/us-stamps/899...ebuts-Dec-10
Edited by wt1 - 10/08/2014 5:45 pm
Valued Member
368 Posts
Posted 10/08/2014   9:42 pm  Show Profile Check matttodd1's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttodd1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
that solves it for me - I'll buy a press sheet and cut it up - selling or using the extras.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 10/08/2014   11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the press sheets aren't too expensive, I'll buy an imperf sheet to use as postage. But at $2 per sheet face value, and being a small sheet, I'm guessing a full press sheet contains quite a lot of sheetlets. I'd just use the 50 cent-ers on regular mail and just overpay by a penny, but the $1 stamps would probably take me awhile to use up.
Edited by TheArtfulHinger - 10/08/2014 11:17 pm
Valued Member
186 Posts
Posted 10/09/2014   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The circus s/s is being advertised as an exclusive to the 2014 yearbook. However, if the exact same s/s can be gotten from another source (for example, by cutting up a press sheet sold separately from the yearbook), then I'd argue that the USPS is engaging in blatant false advertising.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 10/10/2014   04:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Technically they are different products-one is a single souvenir sheet and the other is an uncut press sheet. USPS said "$2 Circus souvenir sheet that will be available singly only with the purchase of the(year) book" A side question, for my info, if one cuts the press sheet into individual sheetlets,are the sheetlets considered the same as single sheetlets as supplied in the year books(assuming the press sheets are die-cut)? I would think the individual die cut stamps would be same. Anyway, happy USPS is planning on having these available, thus widening availability of stamps to collectors and increasing chances of these stamps actually being used as postage.
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 10/10/2014 4:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 10/10/2014   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the press sheets are cut well enough, one probably couldn't tell the difference. Regardless, it doesn't sound like Scott will assign a number to them either way. They already said they almost certainly won't list the yearbook sheet, and their standing policy regarding press sheets is not to list those either, except in footnotes. I understand (and somewhat support) their decision not to list them. However, if press sheets become availabe, their use as postage is pretty much guaranteed and it will be kind of odd to see valid stamps, used for their intended purpose (i.e. paying postage), going unlisted by Scott in any format.
Edited by TheArtfulHinger - 10/10/2014 4:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 10/11/2014   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linn's announced Mark Saunders of USPS advised them that each press sheet will contain 12 sheetlets of Circus Themed stamps-that's only $24 per uncut sheet but only 2500 are planned to be issued. Die cutting still unknown.
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 10/11/2014 09:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 10/12/2014   01:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At $24, I'm definitely buying a sheet for postage. I plan on buying the no-die cut sheets and, when using individual stamps, leaving the corner (or half) selvage attached. I just hope they all get through the mail without a clerk somewhere sending it back because they think they're not real stamps. Happened to me a couple times when using a recent Civil War imperf sheet in the same manner.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
Posted 10/18/2014   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrGG to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if we can guess what dealers will charge for just the Souvenir Sheet?
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,681Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05