Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Circus Themed Sheetlet Only Available In Stamp Yearbook

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,703Next Topic
Page: of 14
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 10/18/2014   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My gut feel will be between US$40-50 initially to cover the cost of the "junk" you have to buy in addition to this sheetlet and to make some profit. Demand will ultimately determine the price. I think the FDC will be worth more down the line, but that's just my guess.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/18/2014   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think we can accurately guess at secondary market demand until the USPS announces whether or not the Press Sheets will contain die cuts or not. If they DO, then the value of an individual Souvenir Sheet would likely be less, as one could simply create their own from a Press Sheet. Of course, one could claim that exact measurements and perfect cutting of the Press Sheet down to a single Souvenir Sheet may be difficult without professional equipment, but I'm sure there are printing companies that could do it for a small fee.

Of course, if the USPS decision is that the Press Sheets will NOT have die cuts, then that puts an entirely different spin on the equation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 10/19/2014   1:58 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"one could simply create their own from a Press Sheet. Of course, one could claim that exact measurements and perfect cutting of the Press Sheet down to a single Souvenir Sheet may be difficult without professional equipment, but I'm sure there are printing companies that could do it for a small fee"

The "regular" souvenir sheets are die cut to an odd shape - getting a company to make a special die to cut your press sheets would cost more than a "small" fee.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/19/2014   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but you missed my point.

As I mentioned in the last paragraph of my previous post, if the USPS decides NOT to die cut the Press Sheets, then I agree it would be impossible to re-create these single souvenir sheets; on the other hand, if the Press Sheets ARE DIE CUT then to separate multiple press sheets into evenly cut single souvenir sheets should be a relatively simple task.
Edited by wt1 - 10/19/2014 2:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 10/19/2014   5:16 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The USPS would be absolutely idiotic to release die-cut press sheets, as it would completely undermine their sale of the yearbooks. Uncut press sheets, on the other hand, would not do so.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/28/2014   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The USPS would be absolutely idiotic to release die-cut press sheets, as it would completely undermine their sale of the yearbooks. Uncut press sheets, on the other hand, would not do so.

Well, it now seems the USPS thought of a way to release these Press Sheets that would not undermine the Yearbook sales: Partially die cut Press Sheets! What's even more surprising is the quantity: TEN THOUSAND (10,000) Press Sheets! Pre-orders begin on November 10, 2014:

Quote:
Postal Service spokesman Mark Saunders told Linn's that 10,000 press sheets will be offered, and that each will consist of 12 souvenir sheets and sell for the face value of $24.

Saunders added that "the souvenir sheets on the press sheets will be partially die-cut," and explained that the stamps within the souvenir sheet will not be die-cut, but the edges of the individual souvenir sheets will be die-cut to shape.

http://linns.com/news/breaking-stam...uvenir-sheet

Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 10/28/2014   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This basically means that completists like me will have to buy the year book to obtain a MNH example of the souvenir sheet with die-cuts...
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 10/28/2014   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Partially die cut. I just may go for this press sheet.
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 10/28/2014   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Crouse27 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am glad to hear the status of the sheet in the book is preserved, but do not agree on all the varieties being put out by the usps. It seems that the evolution is to no longer just print hundreds of new stamps each year, but to also offer many of them in a greater variety of new formats. What a headache. In the future, Guiness may have to put a collector in their book of records for being the first person to complete a modern US stamp collection.
Pillar Of The Community
1420 Posts
Posted 10/28/2014   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In the future, Guiness may have to put a collector in their book of records for being the first person to complete a modern US stamp collection.
Wouldn't the US, or at least stamp production by the US, have to cease before anyone could be crowned by Guinness?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7658 Posts
Posted 10/28/2014   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
blcjr, I think Crouse27 didn't mean this literally!

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 10/30/2014   03:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Order info for press sheet & FDC

588708, Circus Souvenir Sheet, uncut press sheet,$24.00 (print quantity 10,000); 588716*, Circus Souvenir Sheet FDC (full pane),$4.50

Also note a number to order Circus Souvenir Sheet
Item Number:
588700 ???? The yearbook order # is 991400 ?????

Looks like Banknote Corp (SSP) is printing 300,000 Souvenir Sheets (900,000 stamps/3 stamps on sheet). Seems like a lot, but many will be used for the FDCs.

As Noted by wt1 elsewhere:

Sheets included in the Yearbook will have Die cut
stamps. FDC and uncut press sheets will not have Die cut
stamps, but will include the Die-cut–to-shape around the
souvenir sheet.

More info on pgs 69-70:
http://about.usps.com/postal-bullet.../pb22401.pdf
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 10/30/2014 04:21 am
Valued Member
186 Posts
Posted 10/30/2014   05:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to the flyer I received today, the yearbook S/S not only has die cut stamps, but also has the special die cuts around the frame. So I suppose the only difference between the yearbook S/S and the press sheet would be die cuts vs. no die cuts stamps; the die cut frame would be the same between the two.
Valued Member
122 Posts
Posted 10/30/2014   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
" the die cut frame would be the same between the two."

I'm not so sure. The shape would be the same, but presumably the pane in the yearbook is die cut to shape all the way through the backing paper, while those in the press sheet are probably only die cut through the stamp layer and the not the backing. Until we see one, what's on the press sheets between the individual panes is unknown.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/30/2014   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
588716*, Circus Souvenir Sheet FDC (full pane),$4.50

Has anyone noticed that the Circus Souvenir Sheet FDC contains three stamps valued at $2, but the FDC will cost $4.50, or a $2.50 premium for the FDC? That's more than the traditional 44 cent premium for a USPS-supplied FDC.

I just figured it out: It seems the $2.50 premium applies to "First Day Cover Sheets" and the USPS has many others that are available that way.

In other words, if one buys the so-called first day cover, they won't get the souvenir sheet affixed to an envelope and cancelled; instead it seems they will get a souvenir sheet (with original PSA backing) that simply contains a first day of issue postmark rendering each of the stamps cancelled.

It's different and is not really a first day "cover" in the truest sense of the word, yet we collectors get to pay a $2.50 premium for the privilege of buying them.
Edited by wt1 - 10/30/2014 3:29 pm
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,703Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05