Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Circus Themed Sheetlet Only Available In Stamp Yearbook

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,685Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
Posted 12/11/2014   1:27 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the negative aspects and complaints about these imdiecuts probably outweigh the positive by a favor of 10-20:1.

But that's true of virtually ALL philatelic items. Complaints about the inverted Jenny reissue. Complaints about the Batman stamps. Complaints about The Simpsons stamps. Complaints about their mail being delivered a few hours late. Stamp collectors are generally a bunch of cranky old people that aren't happy unless they are complaining about something. Collector acceptance is NOT the basis upn which cataloging decisions should be made.

If it was produced/sold by the USPS and is valid for postage, it should be listed. Period.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/11/2014   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, we are cranky at times but that's part of the fun.

Albert
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 12/12/2014   10:16 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RideronTheRain - Clearly there are numerous examples of the major Scott number increasing the value of a stamp. Look at the CV of 3534, 3138 or 3432 or 3192 these would be WAY LOWER in Scott CV if they had not received a major number. Sorry, but your comment didn't make sense. Do you think that #3404-7 would be $14 for 4 33 cent stamps of the same design as 3298-3301 if scott didn't list the former? If eventually they assign major numbers to these modern imperfs or limited edition souvenir sheets their price would naturally take off. The demand to fill the major spaces way outnumber the quantities printed. Price goes way up. Problem is that Scott should not be political as to which stamps it assigns a major number and should use the same rules for all stamps. The sooner they list them the better it will be for collectors down the road.
Edited by stampCat7 - 12/12/2014 11:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1611 Posts
Posted 12/13/2014   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The website lists issue date at 12/08 but says not available until 12/15. Does anyone know if the post offices are selling these yet?

thanks
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/13/2014   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was mentioned on another website that some larger post offices do have the Yearbook on sale already. Orders from SFS are apparently delayed to 12/15/2014 though.
Edited by wt1 - 12/13/2014 09:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1611 Posts
Posted 12/13/2014   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - I checked the Hyannis PO this morning and they haven't seen it yet. Might head over to the Yarmouthport one in a few minutes. They always have the yearbooks. Small and friendly PO that one is

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1611 Posts
Posted 12/13/2014   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike33 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
3 strikes and out - but they all offered to order it for me - oh well, not today I guess
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 12/13/2014   1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I scored! This morning the mailman rang my bell to deliver a large roll cylinder from Stamp Fulfillment. Opening revealed the press sheet for the Circus Souvenir sheet, the one sold out with a 10,000 printing. I will post a picture later but need to ask a question. I see many or the imperf press sheets being cut into separate panels for the market. I am thinking of cutting my acquisition into 2-4 pane and 4-individual units. My question is how has the market treated the cutting of the press sheets into smaller units as far as value.? I see pricing in the Linn's and ads from Mystic & others and the price seems to be above original face. So if I were offering a 4 pane ($8 face) or a single ($2 face) what might I expect. (Scott really needs to give the press sheets a variety & this circus issue and major # the stamps are valid for US postage.)

Edited by eligies - 12/13/2014 3:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 12/13/2014   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want an idea for how much these sell, check completed auctions on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...erf&_sacat=0
Also, check current listings for what is being offered and for how much.

This seems to be doing rather well.

I have not seen one from the yearbook yet and presumably because it isn't readily available just yet.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 12/14/2014   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've done a little scouting through my Linn's advertisements and the eBay site noted and the imperfs appear to be holding their own for value above face. The market activity, along with the limited available in the market might 'force' Scott to acquiesce and assign a formal catalogue # to these issues??( ya right!)
Edited by eligies - 12/14/2014 11:42 am
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/14/2014   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't researched it extensively, but isn't it true there been some issues that Scott refused to list initially and then later on gave in and listed them? It seems to me these sort of changes is what helps to keep sales of their primary product -- the Scott Catalog -- moving.

If Scott announces that a "new" listing will appear in the next edition, doesn't that help market a product that not every collector buys each year because the information is not changed enough to make it worth the pricetag as an annual purchase?

Maybe a similar situation will occur with the Circus Souvenir Sheet -- and the way they currently list Press Sheets, too.
Valued Member
186 Posts
Posted 12/14/2014   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Riderontherain to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
RideronTheRain - Clearly there are numerous examples of the major Scott number increasing the value of a stamp. Look at the CV of 3534, 3138 or 3432 or 3192 these would be WAY LOWER in Scott CV if they had not received a major number. Sorry, but your comment didn't make sense. Do you think that #3404-7 would be $14 for 4 33 cent stamps of the same design as 3298-3301 if scott didn't list the former? If eventually they assign major numbers to these modern imperfs or limited edition souvenir sheets their price would naturally take off. The demand to fill the major spaces way outnumber the quantities printed. Price goes way up. Problem is that Scott should not be political as to which stamps it assigns a major number and should use the same rules for all stamps. The sooner they list them the better it will be for collectors down the road.

What you are referring to is merely the possible short-run effect of a Scott listing. What I was referring to is the long-run value of a stamp.

There is, in fact, a perfect parallel of this phenomenon in stock trading. Whenever S&P decides to include a company to its 500 index, the company's stock will get a boost in price because all the index fund managers will have to buy the stock to add to their index funds. But this price impact will invariably dissipate over time.

Just as the long run value of a stock is determined by the underlying profitability and growth prospects of the company, the long-run value of a stamp is determined by its known available quantity. Just as the action of S&P would not alter a company's prospects, the action of Scott would not affect a stamp's scarcity.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2010 Posts
Posted 12/14/2014   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott's listing or not listing does not, of course, affect scarcity (i.e. supply). What it does influence is demand. If a stamp isn't listed then it doesn't have a space in most albums, at least ones used in this country. The demand for an unlisted stamp will, in almost every case, be less than the demand for one that is listed. Given that the supply is permanently fixed, the higher demand for listed stamps will naturally cause the price to be higher than unlisted stamps. This has been true for a very long time and will likely continue to be true into the foreseeable future.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 12/15/2014   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just received my 2014 Circus Wagon Souvenir Press sheet & the sheetlet FDC. None of the stamps on the FDC are die cut? I understood it was suppose to be like the die cut sheetlet contained in the 2014 stamp yearbook? So, it seems you must purchase yearbook to get the die cut version and it will not have a FDC as stated?
Albert
Edited by acanalizo - 12/15/2014 11:47 am
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 12/15/2014   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
None of the stamps on the FDC are die cut? I understood it was suppose to be like the die cut sheetlet contained in the 2014 stamp yearbook?

There was speculation both ways until the stamp announcement was formally posted by the USPS. At that time, it was clearly advertised that only the Souvenir Sheet in the Yearbook would be die cut between stamps. If you review the Postal Bulletin announcement for the issue they made it abundantly clear (see italicized "NOTE" under the heading "PHILATELIC PRODUCTS" at this link):

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulle...info_008.htm

Edited by wt1 - 12/15/2014 12:51 pm
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 205 / Views: 29,685Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05