Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Retired Stamp Printer´s Blog on French Stamps/Their Printing  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
547 Posts
Posted 08/30/2014   03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add florian to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For those of us who understand French and admire fine stamps of French provenance, here´s a most useful blog by an expert on various printing methods of French stamps:

http://blog-impressions-timbrees.blogspot.cz/
Send note to Staff
Edited by florian - 08/30/2014 03:37 am

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 09/01/2014   05:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Cheers!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
5110 Posts
Posted 09/01/2014   07:45 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the link. For those of us who might not speak French, do not feel left out! You can use one of the free online translation tools such as this one
http://itools.com/tool/google-trans...e-translator
Simply 'copy and paste' the French link above into tool and it will render the website in another language of your choice. Not perfect but good enough to read.
Don

Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
547 Posts
Posted 09/03/2014   07:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AnthonyUK and 51studebaker - Thanks for your responses.

To tell the truth, I myself do not know what proper technical terms to use in English for the French "tirages en 'camaieu'", "timbre imprimé avec la superposition de l'encrage", "Cette partie brune du timbre est donc encrée successivement par le découpage approprié du rouleau du rouge et celui du rouleau du noir, superposé au meme endroit, ce qui donne cette couleur brun-rougeatre apres l'essuyage", etc. used by Papy24 in his blog http://blog-impressions-timbrees.bl...-pour-3.html .

See my new topic "Please help describe Scott USA #1248 'camaieu' Giori printing" and the image of the stamp on http://arago.si.edu/index.asp?con=1...144982&img=1

P.S. Note the change in the link to Papy24's blog page.
Edited by florian - 09/04/2014 06:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
649 Posts
Posted 09/03/2014   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Florian,

this is INDEED the Giori-process with ONE recess-plate being inked by 3-4 inking rolls!

pozdrawiam, Rein
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
547 Posts
Posted 09/04/2014   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Galeoptix - Rein, http://arago.si.edu/index.asp?con=2...6&img=1&pg=1 mentions three inks (red, yellow & blue), so I would expect three inking rollers. And the same applies to the Monaco 1962 Multiple Sclerosis stamp. Even the resulting combination hues such as the purple, the orange, the green, etc. look the same in both issues.

Even though the Nevada Statehood issue appears to be somewhat over the top in the use of colour, considering its design, the stamp still is perfect technically, avoiding either the undesireable bleeding of inks into the neighbouring zones as present in that of Monaco or its more or less marked shifts in hues (Papy24: "Il faut dire que l'impression de cette couleur est extremement difficile a tenir dans la teinte.") with different sheets of stamps printed (I've got three rather different copies of Scott Monaco # 506), the latter's overall impact is more powerful owing to Decaris' characteristic composition design that lent itself easily to this method of printing.

Greetings,

Florian

Edited by florian - 09/04/2014 06:53 am
Valued Member
France
69 Posts
Posted 11/24/2014   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Papy24 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - English Only ***
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
547 Posts
Posted 11/25/2014   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Papy 24 - Soyez le bienvenu ici - Welcome to this forum. An old enthusiast for finely printed hand-engraved stamps, I am also interested in the ways these used to be produced in my young days. The French approach to multicoloured stamps had long been a secret to me until I, a mere amateur who has never been to any stamp printing works, happened to be told about their "camaieu" method.

However, certain procedures seem to still remain closely guarded secrets. In the Please help describe Sc. USA #1248 'camaieu' Giori printing thread, I tried to find out how that particular stamp (the 1964 Nevada Statehood anniversary one which seems to have the "camaieu" method as well as the colour scheme with the Monaco 1962 Multiple Sclerosis stamp in common) was printed but nobody seems to know the answer although the thread still attracts a steady trickle of visitors. And the same goes for the "The Boating Party" by Mary Cassatt stamp mentioned next to it. There do not seem to be enough persons experienced in the field present here. So welcome to this forum again, your assistance will be most appreciated.
Edited by florian - 11/25/2014 09:48 am
Valued Member
France
69 Posts
Posted 11/25/2014   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Papy24 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - English Only ***
Valued Member
France
69 Posts
Posted 11/28/2014   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Papy24 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

Florian, I do not know the press used to print the stamp "Nevada 5c."
It does not seem that this is a "camaieu" in the French sense I have described in my blog.
The word "camaieu" used by the French printing is not right. It usually means: gradient of the same color.
When in fact it is used for a superposition of two inking units of different colors giving another color.

Is it not possible that the press owns 5 inkwells to 5 colors? I do not know.
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
547 Posts
Posted 11/28/2014   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Papy24,

Have a look at http://arago.si.edu/index.asp?con=2...6&img=1&pg=1 mentioning the Giori press at the bottom of the plate proof and only three inks used (red, yellow & blue).

I regarded "camaieu" in stamp printing as an extension of "ton sur ton" ("tone on tone") to "encre sur encre" ("ink on ink").

Kind regards,

Florian

P.S. I have to leave for home now.
Edited by florian - 11/29/2014 03:16 am
Valued Member
France
69 Posts
Posted 11/28/2014   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Papy24 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know the habits of the American printing in order to say what it means. Can anyone tell me if all the stamps are still the same colors, or if there are differences in color. Are other stamps were printed this way with so many colors.
Thank you in advance.
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
547 Posts
Posted 11/29/2014   03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Papy24 - This is a problem because it is rather difficult to find out certain details about U.S. stamp printing.

In my query in the "Please help describe Sc. USA #1248 'camaieu' Giori printing" thread in the Stamp Production Process Forum, which is still read but not replied to, I was seeking printing info on Scott 1248 - 5¢ Nevada Statehood Centenary: Virginia City and Map of Nevada
and Scott 1322 - 5¢ Mary Cassatt's The Boating Party such as that published in Info Service, P.O. Dept., Philatelic Release # 55, July 17, 1966 on Scott 1321 - 5¢ Hans Memling's Madonna and Child found on http://arago.si.edu/index.asp?con=1...&tid=2034203 or that published in S.P.A. Journal (I do not know what S.P.A. stands for) on Scott 1336 - 5¢ Hans Memling's Madonna and Child found on http://arago.si.edu/index.asp?con=1...&tid=2034225 .

But I regret having to say all my efforts have proved ineffective and so have my attempts to Google the S.P.A. Journal for any information.

I have to leave now
Edited by florian - 11/29/2014 03:45 am
Valued Member
France
69 Posts
Posted 11/29/2014   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Papy24 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

These stamps "Memling" are not on the French principle of "camaieu". There are 2 offset printing and 1 intaglio printing in 3 colors. There is no mixing of ink but superimposed impressions. I think it's the same with the stamp "Cassatt".
Pillar Of The Community
Czech Republic
547 Posts
Posted 12/03/2014   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add florian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Papy24,

Quite so as to the Memling stamp.

The Cassatt one is described in Arago: Philately like this: "Six inks were applied in two passes through the Giori press, and these were blended and overlaid to create many additional tones." Two plate proofs are shown: one for the black, blue & dark green colours, the other, inscribed in pencil "2 pl. Gi.", for the yellow, Paris green & red ones which look as if they were lithography, not engraving like Plate Proof One. Arago references Postal Bulletin (October 13, 1966) but I have failed to Google a copy of it so far.

See http://arago.si.edu/index.asp?con=1...&tid=2034204

P.S. By the way, the printing of Plate 2 is sometimes slightly out of register with that of Plate 1 as it at times happened to the French printings of direct recess and indirect recess (taille-douce et taille-douce report).
Edited by florian - 12/03/2014 10:05 am
Valued Member
France
69 Posts
Posted 12/03/2014   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Papy24 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, florian,

You are right. It seems that it is both intaglio prints, one after the other. I can not say if the first is an indirect recess. There were 2 dies. I do not know if the press "Giori" can print with a report, as offset.

Looking on the web all the information on this press, but I have not found a lot of interesting things.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!Bid Online on Live auctions. Stamps, Coins, Fine Art, Jewelery, Collectibles, Antique, Furniture, Wines & Spirits, Collector Cars, Fashion.Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Chinese stamp with overprint/revenue used on piece 1930s?
  Babe Ruth 1983 Stamp's
  Is it common to have a hand-filled date on a cancel?
  Ionian Island Overprints N2, N2a, etc.
  Steiner pages - Falkland Islands Questions
  10/10A-11/11A inperf 3 cents 1851-1857 on cover, did I get it right?
  Picture postcards as postal history covers
  July 1915 Buyers Convention Chicago RCU Syndicate
  US Modern Coil Imperf Errors
  Looks like 1902 Sg 306 (Scott 300) But It is Blue Not Green.
  Nedd Costa Rica postal rates 1989 to 1998 !
  SC# 318 is this real ???
  French Morocco : On Steiner Pages.
  Inherited thousands of stamps, postcards, etc from all over the world, no idea where to even begin.
  Stamp from Germany I believe
  The future of stamp selling on eBay
  Help with this Netherlands Stamp
  Help GB 1887 Jubalee Issue
  Help with these stamps from Bolivia!!
  Newfoundland stamp - First stamp ever of Princess Elizabeth
  Upcoming Harmer-Schau auction at APS show
  Big Blue scott intnl album part I on ebay
  Hungary 1959 postal exhibition matchbox labels?
  Simmy's Grading Upcoming Harmers International Auction
  Help with more info!!!

10/10A-11/11A inperf 3 cents 1851-1857 on cover, did I get it right?
  Chinese stamp with overprint/revenue used on piece 1930s?
  what qualified this One Penny stamp for such a value?
  Big Blue scott intnl album part I on ebay
  Any interest in world Postal Stationery?
  MAILBOXES on stamps!
  The Stamps of Australia : On Steiner Pages.
  Golf Topical Stamps
  Upcoming Harmer-Schau auction at APS show
  Umm Al Qiwain : On Steiner pages
  Is it common to have a hand-filled date on a cancel?
  Babe Ruth 1983 Stamp's
  Picture postcards as postal history covers
  Monaco Stamp Engravers
  French Morocco : On Steiner Pages.
  Any speculation on 2018 issues?
  CAM First Flight Covers
  US Modern Coil Imperf Errors
  Canada Post souvenir cards?
  Steiner pages - Falkland Islands Questions
  Checks Mix... it's tasty!
  Wine, Beer, & Spirits on Stamps
  MASKS on Stamps
  Looks like 1902 Sg 306 (Scott 300) But It is Blue Not Green.
  Ionian Island Overprints N2, N2a, etc.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.1 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05