Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Indexed Photo Postcards (Ipps)

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/09/2016   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another hint as to dating the postcard is the use of "Chicago 11, Illinois". The predecessor of today's ZIP Code, the use of a "Zone Code" in major cities like Chicago began in 1943.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3972 Posts
Posted 03/06/2016   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Might be the most frequently indexed view of them all.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Edited to add: Postcard from the collection of Michael Lebbert.
Edited by ikeyPikey - 03/07/2016 10:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3972 Posts
Posted 03/25/2016   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

One often finds indexed postcards of Desert Cacti ...

... in fact, you can find one right now (above) at http://goscf.com/t/39419#353902 ...

... but this is my first Desert Animals (of the SouthWest).

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Postcard from the collection of Michael Lebbert.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3484 Posts
Posted 03/25/2016   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a bonus, the black widow is the rare "nine legs" variety.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3972 Posts
Posted 03/31/2016   7:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One hesitates to imagine what else that ninth leg might be ...

It occurs to me that the title of this thread could just as well have been the less specific and more inclusive "Annotated Postcards".

Here's another of downtown Chicago ... are we spotting a tread?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

And check-out that handwriting!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3972 Posts
Posted 05/05/2018   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An indexed aerial image of "La Cote d'Azur de Monaco a San Remo" from back in the day.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Edited by ikeyPikey - 05/05/2018 4:01 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
28376 Posts
Posted 05/05/2018   8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... but this is my first Desert Animals (of the SouthWest).

Fascinating...I had to search "Roadrunner"
To me, it looked like my favourite bird, Upupa Epops.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3972 Posts
Posted 05/05/2018   11:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The card is not correct. The American Roadrunner looks like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wile_..._Road_Runner ... the 1st roadrunner we introduce to our children

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadrunner ... the 2nd roadrunner we introduce to our children

Plenty of video clips of the 1st roadrunner on YouTube.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4617 Posts
Posted 05/06/2018   05:14 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Posted twice in subtle tribute to the Modern Lovers, old boy?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3972 Posts
Posted 05/06/2018   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, the site was slow-to-unresponsive, so I kept hitting the button, 'cause that always works with elevators.

Speaking of Modern Art, I walked around the Frieze on Friday. Took the ferry up the East no-its-not-a-River from 35th Street ... nice bonus!

https://frieze.com/fairs/frieze-new-york
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4617 Posts
Posted 05/06/2018   1:00 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done! I trust you returned home with Tracey Emin's All the Philatelists I've Ever Slept With and Damien Hirst's Deltiologist in Formaldehyde?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
805 Posts
Posted 05/06/2018   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Posted twice in subtle tribute to the Modern Lovers, old boy?

I've had the good fortune to see Jonathan Richman perform here in the S.F. Bay Area several times. One of those times was at a little bar only 100 steps from my front door.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3972 Posts
Posted 11/10/2018   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An indexed panorama of Bodensee (Lake Constance).

It occurred to me that I did not really know where Bodensee/Constance is located, and it turns-out that it is in the middle of everywhere (to coin a phrase), with shorelines in three countries: Germany, Switzerland & Liechtenstein.

How cool is it that the mountain range in the background is, according to Google Sat, in the South, showing that our card is a north-to-south view?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3972 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

http://goscf.com/t/37126&whichpage=4#628616 ... another group-signed postcard to the same addressee from the same mountain range

Postmarked 19240909 in Bolzano.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
90 Posts
Posted 01/23/2020   09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Aviatik to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The image optimizer hated this one. They really went out of their way to annotate this one. Blown up, it would make a nice poster.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05