Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Domestic One Cent Foreign Two Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3725 Posts
Posted 09/01/2014   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
'domestic one cent foreign two cents'

We see this legend often enough on postcards produced for the US market.

I can find information on the domestic one cent postcard rate fairly easily, though I still have not nailed-down if the postcard rate(s) (foreign & domestic) were

raised, along with the letter rates, for The Great War.

I know, from primary sources, that the 'domestic one cent foreign two cents' was extant in 1914 & 1922.

I tried searching at uspostalbulletins[dot]com, but was unable to access that site; use CAUTION.

Q/ When were the US postcard rates 'domestic one cent foreign two cents' ?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/01/2014   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if this helps at all, but this is taken right from the United States Official Post Office Guide of 1922:

Also, if you look back into the UX (postal card) section of the Scott catalog, the first two-cent postal card (UX6) was issued on December 1, 1879 with the comment that it was "for international use".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by wt1 - 09/01/2014 8:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3725 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, Greetings:

Yes, the United States Official Post Office Guide of 1922 was the 1922 primary source I alluded to.

Screen-Grabbers of the World, Unite! You have nothing to lose but your unnecessary 100-MB downloads!

I did not think of reaching for my Scott catalog. Duh.

When I did, I could see new issues, re-issues, and re-valuations that suggest that the domestic postcard rate was raised to 2c during America's participation in The Great War.

Thank you,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...the domestic postcard rate was raised to 2c during America's participation in The Great War.

Did international postcard rates go up during this period, too? Or were US and International postcard rates both two cents during this period? That's the piece I wasn't able to accurately clarify.
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   10:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always wondered how this postal card got through to Poland with only 1c postage in 1923. Perhaps because it was printed matter?

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another piece of the puzzle I pulled from an old Linn's Stamp News article:

Quote:
For the most part, the postage rate for postal cards has been the same as that for postcards. One exception is reported in U.S. Domestic Postal Rates, 1872-1993 by Henry W. Beecher and Anthony S. Wawrukiewicz: From April 15, 1925, through June 30, 1928, the postcard rate was 2 but the postal card rate was only 1.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3725 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For the most part, the postage rate for postal cards has been the same as that for postcards. One exception is reported in U.S. Domestic Postal Rates, 1872-1993 by Henry W. Beecher and Anthony S. Wawrukiewicz: From April 15, 1925, through June 30, 1928, the postcard rate was 2 but the postal card rate was only 1.

I had thought that the PMC act (1898) had equalized the rates once and for all; silly me.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3725 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've always wondered how this postal card got through to Poland with only 1c postage in 1923. Perhaps because it was printed matter?

Looks like you've nailed it, Jenny2U:

(United States Official Postal Guide 1922.07 p135).

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 09/02/2014   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3725 Posts
Posted 09/03/2014   01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that our pals at uspostalbulletins[dot]com are back in business, I was able to find both the 1917 rate increase (for postcards, postal cards, and private mailing cards) and the 1919 rollback (for postcard a/k/a private mailing cards).

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05