Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Portugal Color Difference

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,864Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
140 Posts
Posted 10/01/2014   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jol34 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These are Scott A26 Portugal stamps. They are all perf 11 1/2. I have been wondering about these differences for a while. There are only two colors listed in Scott. Can anyone enlighten me. Thanks.

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
248 Posts
Posted 10/01/2014   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hobsun013 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jol34,

A Note in Scott catalogue after stamps #64-66 indicates these stamps were reprinted in 1905. The reprints are valued at $5. (At least as in the 2000 Scott Catalogue I am using). The Note after Scott #4 states - "The colors of the reprints usually differs from those of the orginals..". Also for the 25 Reis stamps, the text under Scott #4 also provides a brief description of some variance between the originals and the reprints that may help. I would suspect your have the violet Scott #65 and the Lilac Rose Scott #66 and that the bluish stamp is a reprint from 1905.

Hope this helps.
Hobsun
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 10/01/2014   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jol34 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Hobsun,
I should have looked closer. I thought that the reprints only had to do with earlier stamps, but now I see it includes this variety. Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1547 Posts
Posted 10/04/2014   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These may well be reprints. However, early stamps of Portugal and its colonies; through the Ceres issues of 1914 through the early 1930s; are notorious for shade varieties. I say "notorious" in a good way because, as an avid Portugal & Colonies collector, all the shades adds to the fun of collecting those.
Valued Member
Portugal
12 Posts
Posted 03/26/2018   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add card12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good evening,

Quote:

jol34 said in 1 Oct 2014

These are Scott A26 Portugal stamps. They are all perf 11 1/2. I have been wondering about these differences for a while. There are only two colors listed in Scott. Can anyone enlighten me. Thanks.

[...]

Dear jol34,

1st - These are common shades/nuances of the stamps. I saw already hundreds and hundreds with all these shade variants. The old 1981 Simões Ferreira specialized catalog, for example, list this stamp with the folowing five colour nuances (and not three) in porcelain paper:

Violet-blue
Violet
Lilac
Lilac-rose
Rose

2nd - The real stamps are perf. 11 ½ acc. Simões Ferreira/1981 and Afinsa/2004 catalogs or 11 ¾ x 12 acc. to the last Mundifil/2018 catalog.

3rd - The 1905 reprints are perf. 13 ½

Quote:

Hobsun013 said in 1 Oct 2014

[...] and that the bluish stamp is a reprint from 1905.

Dear Hobsun013,

The reprints of 1905 are perf. 13 ½ and this means they are different from the real 25 réis stamps (beyond these perf. question they are, actualy, more expansive than the "real" stamps).

It seems there are reprints of the 25 reis from 1900 however they are perf. 11 ½ (or 11 ¾ x 12) and they are not porcelain (sometimes called chalk surfaced) paper. They are wove paper stamps.

CONCLUSION
Positive way - If they are porcelain paper stamps and not perf. 13 ½... they are real.
Common sense - If they are wove paper perf. 11 ½ stamps they are reprints from 1900 and in this case the cachets of two of them (at least) are apocryphal or fake.

Edited by card12 - 03/26/2018 10:59 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 1,864Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05