Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Distinguished American Series

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 5,723Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 10/13/2014   10:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add acanalizo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I do not understand the USPS logic of design formats of the Distinguished American Series beginning in year 2000 with Scott 3420 thru the latest 2014 Chief Anderson issues. The first 8 stamps- Yr 2000 10˘. General Joseph W. Stilwell, 33˘ Senator Claude Pepper; Yr 2001 76˘ Senator Hattie W. Caraway; Yr 2002 83c Author Edna Ferber; Yr 2004 Athlete Wilma Rudolph; Yr 2006. Medical Scientist Jonas Salk & Virologist Albert Sabin; Yr 2007 Senator Margaret Chase Smith & 75˘. Author Harriet Beecher Stowe stamps use black ink with name in red on side. Then, for some reason, the next 3 stamps starting in 2008 USPS switched to color tone stamp Yr 2008 59˘ Author James A. Michener & 76˘. Physician Edward Trudeau; Yr 2009 78˘ Philanthropist Mary Lasker; then starting in 2011 the USPS again switch the basic design to a full color design in the next 3 stamps. Yr 2011 84c Oveta Culp Hobby; Yr 2012 Forever Actor José Ferrer and Yr 70-cent, First-Class Mail, two-ounce rate stamp, Aviator C. Alfred "Chief" Anderson. When view together as a series, it just throws everything off. The first 8 were somewhat nice –sort of look like engraved stamps, then downhill in my thoughts.

Send note to Staff
Albert

Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
Posted 10/13/2014   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's a reason I gave up on U.S. stamps after 1993. This is largely why. They just get uglier and uglier.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2643 Posts
Posted 10/13/2014   10:13 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last 3 really don't belong in the series. Just because USPS calls them part of the series, doesn't mean we have to follow like sheep.
Learn More...
United States
4727 Posts
Posted 10/14/2014   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
acanalizo. I agree -- I like the earlier issues in the series. They remind me of engraved stamps.

I remember buying a Pane of 20 of the Michener stamps. They were not too much of a departure from the earlier issues -- a bit more color was appropriate for his shirt (based on the book Hawaii). But after looking at them for a few days, I used them as postage rather than keeping them.

Kirk
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1358 Posts
Posted 10/14/2014   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just because USPS calls them part of the series, doesn't mean we have to follow like sheep.

Exactly! We, the collectors, define this hobby.

I consider the new Distinguished Americans a separate series. They go on a separate page.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 10/14/2014   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After considering we has been said, I will mount these on three different pages because the 3 designs are so different they ruin the aesthetics of the series as well as display page. Maybe label pages Distinguished Americans Series 1 2000-07, Series 2 2008-09, Series 3 2011-Present.
Albert
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gierhead to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Question on Scott #3431 Hattie Caraway. I'm getting caught up on putting relatively new stamps away in my album.The Liberty Stamp Album page shows two Hattie Caraway spots. One for die cut 11.5 x 11 and another for die cut 11 x 11.75. I cannot find information on another Scott number. Is there truly two versions? Thanks. Dale
Edited by Gierhead - 01/14/2018 4:25 pm
Learn More...
9474 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   4:48 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can use the free US Stamp Finder on Stamp Smarter http://www.stampsmarter.com/
Go to bottom of any page and click on 'Pop-Up Stamp Finder', naviagte to the regualr issues, click on 'Search By Description', then type in 'Caraway' and it will return the numbers you are looking for (use 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons to see all Scott Numbers.
Don
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gierhead to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. Never heard of that site.
Yes...there are two as I found out. 3431 and 3432. Not sure why. ??
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1232 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The two Caraway stamps have different perforations. 3431 is perf 11 while 3432 is perf 11.5x11.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 01/14/2018   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not consider the last three stamps as part of the Distinguished American Series and would set-up the album page accordingly. The USPS may consider them part of the series, Scott may consider them part of the series, but I, as czar of my collection do not.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
Posted 01/15/2018   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sleepy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Scott National has this series appearing at different places, separated by year of issue, the segments differing in design.
Ive put the entire series all together, separating the last three.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3043 Posts
Posted 01/15/2018   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is definitely not a consistent series in design.
Al
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 5,723Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05