Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crosby Cover -- Self Addressed?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,189Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
1364 Posts
Posted 10/15/2014   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add blcjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this in a collection of airmail FDC's I recently purchased:

I was surprised to see it "self addressed." Any opinions as to whether it is in Crosby's actual handwriting? I suppose someone could have just penciled it in to make it look like it was self addressed by the cachet maker. So far as I can tell (my google-fu didn't turn up much) the address is legit. But I've not seen any other self addressed Crosby covers that I could compare the handwriting with.

Basil
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 10/15/2014   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't know whether or not that penciled address was in the cachetmaker's hand or if it was done by a co-worker or relative. It's not an autograph, though, so it really wouldn't lend much to the value of the cover.

It might be interesting to note that:

The above cover (C36) was issued 07/30/1947.

Walter G. Crosby, the cachetmaker, died on 09/28/1947 ... less than two months after the scanned cover was issued ... although his wife continued to produce covers under his name for a couple of years thereafter.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
940 Posts
Posted 10/16/2014   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cover may have been sent to Crosby by the person who prepared the cover. Perhaps, it contained a personal note or message. Perhaps, it was sent to Crosby by a friend, a stamp dealer, or philatelic associate. There are several possibilities. That it was self addressed is certainly one of the possibilities.
Edited by DonSellos - 10/16/2014 08:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
1364 Posts
Posted 10/16/2014   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I realize that being "self-addressed" is not the same thing as a "signature." I have some older Ioor and Roessler covers that seem to enjoy a modest increase in value for being self-addressed. Given what would seem to be the difficulties of authenticating this attribution, I am not imagining the same thing holds true here.

I agree that there are multiple possibilities here. It would not have occurred to me, though, that someone else would have sent it to Crosby.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
940 Posts
Posted 10/16/2014   12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It would not have occurred to me, though, that someone else would have sent it to Crosby.

Whoever prepared the cover may have wanted Crosby to autograph it and that didn't happen.

Does it have any signs of having gone through the mail stream? If not, it could have been a case of someone wanting it to appear self-addressed.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
1364 Posts
Posted 10/16/2014   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see your point: there is no indication that it went through the mail. It looks like a serviced cover (canceled and then returned) that was probably originally unaddressed.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 2,189Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05