Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

R152e On Part Of A Bank Check

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 3,403Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

1151 Posts
Posted 11/26/2014   10:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone else seen or have an example(s) of R152E Imperf. on a complete document/instrument that clearly shows the date and place, and properly tied?

This is the only one I've ever found, and it's not a very good one. Wish it was a pair or block on a full document!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
8278 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen a couple over the years on checks. There is no reason to ever find a pair on a document since by the time this stamp was issued the only documentary tax left was on checks, drafts, or orders for the payment of money. That tax was 2 cents regardless of the amount of the document. That is why there were only 2 cent stamps issued from 1872-1883 when the tax on checks (and match & medicines, perfumes and playing cards and all articles taxed under schedule A) ended. The check tax and medicine tax did not return until 1898. Playing cards returned in 1894.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Revcollector, thanks for your thoughts. Of the two you saw over the years, did you make any notes of the details?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because most of my stamp items are picked up from auction lots, they often include ephemera type items. I assumed the only real interest for this stuff would be famous signatures.

Pillar Of The Community
1151 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampmaster to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampcrow

Thanks for you input.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampmaster, I have not found an imperf version though.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 03/13/2019   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SebastianShen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But I have a very interesting one, I could not tell what this is.

Valued Member
Thailand
87 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BattleshipRB23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@stampmaster - I have seen a triple usage of the 2c R152 on a single document (though I believe it was the non-perf variant)... they were on the top document of a stack of three (3) money orders that were affixed together with thread. Very strange but it might indicate that there is a slim possibility of finding an imperf pair on a doc (@revcollector will kindly correct me though if I am "grasping at straws" there)

@revcollector - Would this have been an illegal usage as the revenues should have been individually affixed to each money order correct?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   06:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have not seen an imperf multiple of this stamp. Sebastian what you have seems to be a left margin single of what might have been a sheet imperf vertically, or with the right side perfs cut away. As each item had to be stamped, two of these could be called illegal uses, I would guess all three were going to the same person or firm around the same time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5567 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   10:12 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Be VERY wary of any of these stamps offered as imperfs or imperf-between. This stamp is frequently found with gigantic margins on one or more sides, which lend themselves to trimming. This is one that I would never purchase as one of the more expensive varieties as a single; it would have to be a multiple.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8278 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The outside margins on these were not always perforated, which is very likely what happened here. So a wide right margin would allow someone to create this.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can see perf remnants on the left (front) of the stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8278 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe those are perfs. A gauge would have to be put on the margin to know for sure.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SebastianShen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@m and m,

The Stamp is still with original gum/hinged. The both left and right lines are very straight. It comes with this type note which is interesting.
It could be imperf vertical?!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
586 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
there a very good chance that it is blind perfed on the one side. a physical exam by a knowledgeable revenue collector or dealer is required. all of the comments about this issue made by the others are valid. you copy is used as evidenced by the black marks on the stamp. some are faint. having disturbed gum on this issue in used condition is not rare.
Valued Member
United States
9 Posts
Posted 03/14/2019   1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SebastianShen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
one picture with gauge comparison.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 3,403Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05