Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

D.w. Covers Featured In Bna Topics

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 4,494Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
4742 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add kirks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
BNA Topics has recently featured D.w. covers in two issues.

Although outside my collection area, I've found the articles quite interesting. I wonder if any SCF members have any D.w. Covers to share.

This one is not mine -- just an example for those who haven't read the articles. I think this is #18.

Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been following them too Kirk. I don't have any either, but find them fascinating, and hope some more light can be shed through this forum.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Rest in Peace
720 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps we should explain that no one knows what the D.w. means or why it was used. Lots of conjecture but no definite answers.

Glenn Estus#8232;President, Vermont Philatelic Society

http://www.vermontps.org

editor, The Vermont Philatelist

First Day Columnist, Stamp Insider http://www.stampinsider.org

http://empirestatepostalhistory.blogspot.com/

http://nypostalhistory.blogspot.com/

http://vermontpostalhistory.blogspot.com

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1324 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadaStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a contributor to the discussion on that issue. I am convinced it is a Winnipeg stamp, affixed when an air mail flight was delayed.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   11:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am unfamiliar with these covers, but a quick lookup provided these links that explain what has been found and several theories on what the marking was used for:

http://www.aerophilately.ca/TCA1.pdf

http://www.aerophilately.ca/TCA2.pdf

After reading these articles, it sounds most plausible to me that "D.w." probably meant "Delayed by Weather" ... but, of course, that's only speculation as has been previously noted by others.

Nonetheless, it does seem quite odd that no answer has yet been found, as relatively speaking, these covers are not so old that one would think that someone with specialized knowledge of such postal markings wouldn't have come forward by now with a definitive answer.

Valued Member
Canada
228 Posts
Posted 11/27/2014   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scottamer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks wt1 for the links to this delightful and useful site (www.aerophilately.ca). In addition to a variety of information on the D.w. covers, it contains a wealth of aerophilately information including links to back issues of the society's journal and some nice examples of stamp exhibits. I will add this site to my bookmarks for sure.
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 12/05/2014   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was a very interesting article. Was the "D.w." hand stamped under (before) or over (after) the Winnipeg, MB postmark/cancel? In BNA Topics "D.w." appears to be under the Winnipeg postmarks, but this may be due to how the covers appear in the printed journal.
Edited by jogil - 12/05/2014 6:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 05/11/2017   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Given that the hand stamp has a frame line around it, if it used inserted letter type then its limited insertion width space in between the frame lines could account for why the "w" is in lower case while the "D" is in upper case in order to all fit in. While the "D" in upper case looks very much different than a "d" in lower case, the "w" in lower case does not look very much different than a "W" in upper case. Thus, if the intention was to fit these two letters in with periods that also fit in and match with them while wanting two upper cases but having to compromise on one of them because of width size constraints while also making the best compromise with regards to appearance and practicality, then this may account for this irregularity. Also, since it was a limited temporary provisional hand stamp, it may be most unlikely to be a custom made one piece hand stamp that did not have these size limitations being necessary since it could be made to needed specifications including size accommodation. Other possible combinations that could fit in the limited hand stamp width space besides D.w. but were not used are d.w. and d.W.
Edited by jogil - 05/11/2017 08:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 05/11/2017   08:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is possible that the original intention was to have the hand stamp as D.W. in upper case letters but because of hand stamp width frame line limitations it could not all be fitted in upper case letters. Thus, there may have been a compromise in which the D was kept in upper case and the "w" was not since "w" lower case looks more like "W" upper case than "d" lower case looks like "D" upper case. Also, beginning with an upper case letter is usually done. At that time, it appears that the regular well-known route for air mail from, to and through Winnipeg was also going from, to and through Pembina so that it was known as Winnipeg-Pembina, Pembina-Winnipeg. There are many first flight covers showing this. Here is a picture of such a cover.

If the letters for this needed to be abbreviated in the same hand stamp to fit in it would be W.p. or P.w. but since this was the regular route at the time it would have been redundant or unnecessary to label this as such. Thus, this brings this to the point of what the hand stamp may have been for. Possibly for an alternative, irregular, uncommon, limited, spur air route that was not the usual one at all but that existed and has been overlooked but sometimes used when the other one was not available. How about Duluth-Winnipeg, Winnipeg-Duluth for D.w.? How and why? See the following reference on pages 96-97: http://collections.mnhs.org/MNHisto...p086-098.pdf

This is just my two cents worth on this topic since this may or may not be the answer to this but it hopefully offers a piece of the puzzle or something more to it since I am not a postal nor air postal historian. However, if I am very wrong on this, please be gentle since I am just an amateur in this airmail postal history field.
Edited by jogil - 05/11/2017 09:34 am
Learn More...
United States
4742 Posts
Posted 05/11/2017   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad this thread was revived -- also enjoyed the follow-up article in the current BNA Topics.
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The current accepted explanation by Chris Hargreaves is that the "D.w." hand stamp refers to mail that was "diverted (at) Winnipeg" from air to surface transport such as by railroad. Interestingly, there was the Duluth, Winnipeg and Pacific (DW&P) railroad route that this could have been done through.

Edited by jogil - 05/13/2017 07:18 am
Learn More...
United States
4742 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@JOGIL: "diverted (at) Winnipeg"

I think you mean " Diverted (at) winnipeg "

I didn't buy/understand the theory that two capital letters wouldn't fit in the box -- they could have just made the letters smaller caps.

Wonderful Mystery -- maybe someday we'll have definitive proof.
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   08:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
kirks: For diverted (at) Winnipeg are you saying that it could be more like d.w. or d.W. to fit? If they wanted a large cap "W" for Winnipeg, then they could have used a small cap "d" for diverted but went the opposite way. The hand stamp width size was more about "D" uppercase for Duluth fitting.
Edited by jogil - 05/13/2017 5:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 05/13/2017   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Duluth-Winnipeg railroad was divided into two parts with the U.S. part having War(road) & Dul(uth) R.P.O. postmark and the Canadian part having Ft.Fr.(ancis) & W(inni)P(e)G. R.P.O. postmark. Duluth-Warroad also have "D" and "W" letters. See http://goscf.com/t/29053
Edited by jogil - 05/13/2017 7:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 05/14/2017   06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Duluth, Winnipeg and Pacific (D.W. & P.) railroad could go southeast from Winnipeg through Duluth to Chicago and west from Winnipeg to Vancouver.
Edited by jogil - 05/14/2017 07:56 am
Learn More...
United States
4742 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes jogil. I'm just saying I don't think any stamp designer/maker would have let the size of the rectangular stamp dictate the capitalization of the letters.

If this were too big
D.W.

then I'd use this
D.W.

not alter the capitalization
D.w.

Kirk
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 4,494Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05