Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

D.w. Covers Featured In Bna Topics

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 4,491Next Topic
Page: of 2
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 05/16/2017   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Kirk.

While I have no idea what the D.w stands for, it is very doubtful that it is some sort of delay explanation mark, as these are usually made with handstamps written out in full, like "Delayed by Weather". Stamping it "D.w" would not give the recipient any idea what caused the delay, or even that it was delayed. I have seen many such markings written out in full such as "Delayed by Flooding", "Damaged in Transit" etc. They are never abbreviated.

If it is not of private origin, the mark could be an internal post office code - though from what I have read, there is nothing yet to indicate this.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   10:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The following first flight airmail cover with D.w. on it is interesting:
Edited by jogil - 08/22/2022 11:52 am
Valued Member
Canada
204 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Couldn't help but notice the last cover shown by jogil is dated the same day and time as the cover he has shown on the first page.
The cover on the first page has no D.w. Stamp but would it not have travelled on the same plane and route and at the same time?
If it was for delayed by weather and it was wanted to be internally noted I would think they would attach that notation to the mail bag itself not one piece of the mail in the bag.
To my way of thinking I believe we may be reading to much into this marking and it's quite possibly only the initials of a collector.
I know it's hard to believe someone would deface there own covers but I see people writing on the face of covers defacing them all the time and I don't see this as anything different.
I'll be surprised if a definitive answer is ever revealed.

Cheer's Bill
Learn More...
United States
10967 Posts
Posted 08/22/2022   1:52 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It may only occur on the facing (top of a stack) cover?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would the handstamp then have to be on top of the cancel?
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36778 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would the handstamp then have to be on top of the cancel?

I doubt it.
"Autres objects" (UPU) markings were placed randomly in my experience
Australia "20" script, or whatever was in the bundle
UK (AV2) mark
and the AO in diamond (genesis unknown)

For the Dw , perhaps a quick email to BNAPS may solve?

Edited by rod222 - 08/23/2022 4:28 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36778 Posts
Posted 08/23/2022   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
*.pdf
Update exists : BNA Topics, Volume 72, Number 3, July–September 2015

Edited by rod222 - 08/23/2022 4:47 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 4,491Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05