Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

To Renew OR Not To Renew Membership? That Is The Question.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
Posted 02/01/2018   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bakechad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get First Days and renewed that.

Get Linn's from the library.

Thinking about joining Canal Zone SG and American Topical Association.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2239 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Renewed membership in the Western Cover Society.
Now, to get them (other members) more active here.....
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ScottEnglish to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry that I'm late to the thread, but I did want to thank all of the APS and APRL members who renewed with us in 2018.

I won't clutter the thread on that, but you're welcome to contact me anytime at scott@stamps.org.

To stay on topic, I renewed with the APS, ATA, AFDCS, USSS, The Collectors Club of New York, ESPER, PNC3, Postmarks Collectors Club, and in the area I actually collect, both the Cuban Philatelic Society of America and the International Cuban Philatelic Society.

A large assortment of local clubs as well. I think I write more checks at dues renewal time in December than the 11 other months of the year.

Scott
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1092 Posts
Posted 02/02/2018   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've maintained membership in the American Philatelic Society, United States Stamp Society, U.S. Postal History Society, Precancel Stamp Society, United Postal Stationery Society and it looks like I'm going to remain President of my local stamp club as well.

I also maintained my Linn's subscription, the subscription to the Congress book and the American Stamp Dealer & Collector publications.
Edited by Stampman2002 - 02/02/2018 9:36 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
172 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a great thread and very helpful in my decision to join APS.
Can you share more about how you use your APS membership (other than the magazine, paper and digital).
Do you buy stamps on stamps.org?
Use or buy from the reference library? (they have recently been advertising buying their duplicate reference materials)
Buy insurance?
Other benefits? Services that you utilize?

Thank you
Pillar Of The Community
United States
560 Posts
Posted 06/20/2019   4:46 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use several of those services - I'm a regular user of the library as an apprentice judge. I hold my stamp insurance through the APS plan, and I have purchased through the APS online store several times. APS has also provided literature and information to me for use in stamp collecting presentations locally.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1564 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   11:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy the APS Magazine very much, and I also occasionally purchase literature through the APS.

I also view the APS as an important promoter of the hobby, and I am happy to support them via membership.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2721 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The circuits provide some useful material, but they are "hit and miss".

I am using the APS online store for sales now, so not continuing membership is not "in the cards" for the foreseeable future.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 06/21/2019 2:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1761 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   2:40 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am an APS life member so don't worry about renewal.

There are some groups I've belonged to over the years and for various reasons just decided it wasn't worth it. Time was, many of them offered stamp sales, almost none do now other than the APS. About the only real membership benefit most give today is their publication. I dropped out of the Germany Philatelic Society last year when their dues went through the roof. The still do a monthly magazine which I find incredible. It's well done but if they'd go bimonthly they could keep more members IMO.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1160 Posts
Posted 06/22/2019   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To answer Turtle2900's question, I have both bought and sold stamps through the APS Stamp Store although not recently. Same for expertizaton services; yes, but not recently. Also use the APS Insurance. Belong to the APRL and read the quarterly publication.

While the 2019 APS Stamp Show is within easy reach for a change (Denver to Omaha flight or 11 hour drive), I won't be going. Just didn't see enough on the schedule of interest for me. And only two dealers I would need to see. Bought some good stuff from one of them at the Rocky Mountain Stamp Show (Stephen Taylor from UK). My always productive dealings with D & P Stamps are done by regular mail since Pat & Don haven't been to Rocky Mountain Stamp Show in a few years. But did see them at WESTPEX in 2016.

Back on topic, I still have all the memberships & subscriptions I listed on Jan. 21, 2018. I've added a membership in the ISWWC to get access to their extensive library. But have yet to visit! The big change is dropping Linn's from print to digital when my print subscription expires with the July 8 issue. Which means more money for stamps!
Edited by Climber Steve - 06/22/2019 1:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
Posted 07/01/2019   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I joined the APS mainly for the American Philatelist and the discount you get at the APS Stamp Store. With what I order from there in a year's time, I easily save the cost of membership and that's like getting the magazine and other benefits for free.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
172 Posts
Posted 07/03/2019   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for your recent replies and answers to my questions. I joined APS thanks to your encouragement and information. I am going shopping and see what I can find....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1761 Posts
Posted 07/03/2019   7:53 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve I can't blame you for not coming to Omaha. In my case it's a 45 minute drive so I plan to attend every day. Two of my favorite dealers- A to Z and A & D will be there I was in Portland at PIPEX in May; I was able to talk my family into flying out there for a week long trip down the coast to the Redwoods. There is no such 'draw' to come to a show in Omaha.

How are you finding ISWWC? Just curious.
Valued Member
United States
228 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a Life APS member (and probably approaching 50 years) and a 50 year American Revenue Association member. I do not currently maintain any other memberships or subscriptions, but have reading access via the Collectors Club and the Philatelic Foundation library's too quite a few of the publications mentioned.
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   11:40 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Turtle - Welcome to the APS. In addition to the magazine, I find circuits a joy to use (try just one to start with, and see if its for you) and the ability to have books loaned to me thru the mail (or copies of articles sent to me) a valuable membership asset.

What's most gratifying about being a member, imo? The APS staff. You'll find that each and every one of them will do back flips trying to help you in any way they can to increase your knowledge and enjoyment of this hobby.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.02 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05