Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

To Renew OR Not To Renew Membership? That Is The Question.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1978 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I reinstated my membership a couple of months ago after a hiatus of several years. I look forward to the many benefits of APS membership. Unfortunately, nothing has changed since I left but I will try to focus on the positives.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1543 Posts
Posted 07/04/2019   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I chose not to renew opting to renew my Linn's subscription only.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
578 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   02:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also let some society memberships with their journals lapse from time to time whenI I simply don't read them. But be a little hesitant to drop subscriptions of stamp publications too quickly. Most are not like regular magazines at all, though they look like magazines. What your annual payment does is help support that organization. It's really a contribution to the hobby for which you get sent a magazine in return that you can read.

If we all decide to cancel our membership subscriptions, this hobby will continue to decline as its main publications disappear. I know many publications are on the internet, but I still prefer to read on paper. That's one concern I have.

Once upon a time, there were more than half a dozen really good stamp magazines and stamp newspapers. Even as a kid, I managed to scrape together enough money to subscribe to "Stamps" magazine, "McKeels," "Linn's" and others. Today, besides the journal mailed from specialty societies like the APS or the Int'l Society for Japanese Philately (two of my journals), there's really one one general interest stamp publication available -- and it's also in decline. That's "Linn's," of course.

Kill these publications and the hobby has less communication, less connection, beyond the internet, of course. And if you abandon stamp societies and their journals, you may kill them off, too. We may be the cause of the decline of our own hobby -- and all over a small amount of money to subscribe to maybe one stamp newspaper plus a couple or three society journals. The APS used to have more than 50K members. Today it's maybe 60% as large and continues to slowly decline. You can't get them back once they're gone.
Edited by DrewM - 07/08/2019 02:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2377 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ended my subscription to US Stamp News and Meekel's. They both use the concept of reprinting a significant amount of older material from prior issues. It is a good idea but not well executed.
Al
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
Posted 07/08/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning all,

"Kill these publications and the hobby has less communication"; no, the mode of communication is just changing. Prior to the invention of the printing press scribes hand made scrolls. Their viewership was limited compared to printed documents. Today, we have the digital medium which dwarfs the distribution of the printed word. Growing societies have web sites and digital publications. Our hobby marches on into the future.

Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It dawned on me recently I've renewed nothing. I purchased a home, started a program to lead to a principal's license, and a few other things. I've spent plenty of times with my collection, but not on memberships and/or subscriptions.

The ... unfortunate thing? I've not really missed 'em. But then again I've not needed an ATA checklist or something from the APRL library lately, so who knows?
Member American Philatelic Society & American Topical Association
Valued Member
Learn More...
360 Posts
Posted 07/11/2019   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have renewed my APs and ATA memberships because I find value there. I also subscribe to Linn's and the American Stamp Dealer and Collector because I find those (mostly) interesting reads. I have opted not to renew my USPCS membership because, after a trial period, I am not afraid to admit that their journal is a bit too advanced and their articles too specialized to this-back-to-the-hobby-recently-guy. I may sign up again in the future if I get to the point of appreciating more what they have to offer. I also belong to the USSS which is more my speed than the USPCS, but given how non-proactive they've been about notifying members of and providing complete information about the loss of 49k, I'll probably not renew just for the principle.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 07/11/2019 9:36 pm
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05