Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Netherlands Railway Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5705 Posts
Posted 12/27/2014   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Cjd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Netherlands Railway Stamps don't get much attention, but they have a lot to offer.

Early examples largely shared this general design:

The first ones were inscribed Nederlandsche Staatsspoorwegen in the bottom tablet. This one is inscribed Nederlandsche Spoorwegen, and I believe it is from the 1924 series. Other inscriptions, for other Dutch railways, also exist.

These were printed by Joh. Enschedé & Zonen, Haarlem, and this is the most-common value, by far. Almost all of the values are found in this color, and in red. This color was sold at railway stations, and the red versions were sold through other channels. One site says that usages for the red versions included private couriers; the site linked below says "other distribution and transport centres."

Hans Vink has a great site for these. Some old link sites have a broken link, so here is a current one:

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/H.Vink/rwletstamps.htm

Any additional information or examples would be great.

Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 12/27/2014   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nest.

I must hunt.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
544 Posts
Posted 12/27/2014   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SueStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like the railway stamps but it's such a mystery to me.
Maybe someone can help me understand...

Were railway stamps sold at the counter of a railroad station?
Do they still sell them now or were railway stamps only from certain countries during a specific period of time?

Why buy railway stamps and not stamps at the Post Office?

I wonder if anyone has any photos of these mysterious railway stations!
Always intrigued...
SueStamps
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1932 Posts
Posted 02/16/2015   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Generally, the term "railway stamp" refers to two different kinds of stamps. The most common railway stamps were used to pay for parcels shipped on a rail line. The other railway stamps were used to show payment for a passenger's seat reservation. In this case, the stamp was attached to a receipt that showed the seat and car numbers on the specific train.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5928 Posts
Posted 02/16/2015   8:58 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Suestamps, when I was a growing up lad in the fifties, my father had an electronics store in the Netherlands, somewhat like the Radio Shack. We had quite a lot of shipments to make and receive, and the railroad was by far the fastest way to ship. In Holland trains run, at least on the busier routes every 15 or 20 minutes. I would go to the railway station and ship a package. It would go out with the next train!
That would be a whole lot faster than the post office; their packages would go out just once a day! Of course, it had drawbacks. The shipper had to be close to a station, and so did the recipient.
As far as I know, railway stamps were still being sold in the Netherlands; I do not know how it goes in other countries. But at one time almost every country in Europe had railway stamps!

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
179 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Providing updated link to Hans Vink's very informative site.

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/H.Vink/index.html

This page also has useful explanation of their use from H. Vink

https://alphabetilately.org/TOC/parcels-7.html

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05