Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USPS "Gives Away" Right Side Up Jenny Souvenir Sheet

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 8,712Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 01/03/2015   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have been lied to, that is true. And the USPS shows it's true colors that it wants to bolster direct sales to philatelists of mint stamps, which philatelists such as myself refuse to with rare exception, and when I do, I source at my local post office. But they want business they can qualify as philatelic, and in the end will get less of mine in the long run, and a greater decrease of respect to go with it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
APS Member #: 222539 AAPE, Maplewood Stamp Club (MN), Northern Philatelic Society, US Philatelic Classics Society, Auxiliary Markings Club, Canal Zone Study Group, Minnesota Postal History Society
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/03/2015   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... I wish Linn's would really get to the bottom of this whole thing. A couple of FOIA requests ought to expose it ...

While I am all in favor of finding things for other people to do with their time and their money, my only FOIA request (to USDoD, for a copy of a contract award) was quickly successful.

There is no magic, here. You can file the FOIA request yourself, post the results here, and let Linn's eat your dust to catch up.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 01/04/2015   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The current issue of Linn's has an article on the giveway. It went to a collector in Atlanta. The article is too long to summarize here. It seems that the collector to give the sheet to was selected randomly, presumably from those who had ordered from the USPS.
Edited by rohumpy - 01/04/2015 06:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3012 Posts
Posted 01/04/2015   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if only 21 sheets found, I think the "giveaway" is a complete failure. Perhaps it's time to do what Farley did and print enough for everyone and be done with this mess.

If the USPS wants to cater to collectors, they need to do it in a better way.

How much longer do you think these imperf varieties will last before the USPS gives up on them? If they really want to cater to collectors, make something gummed. I understand the general public prefers self-adhesive, but the general public is not buying Jenny invert sheets.
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 01/04/2015   10:21 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The general public is indeed not buying these sheets. I've bought all the ones at the post offices closest to me which I used for postage, but it seems the vast majority of times I visit a post office outside of my usual range they still have their full original stock of these sheets. There's always a chance some of the uninverted sheets are residing in these post offices that collectors never venture too.

Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/04/2015   1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... If the USPS wants to cater to collectors ...

Yes, they want to sell collectibles; but (mostly) not to us.

The Harry Potter audience is (one imagines) (without much fear of being wrong) vastly larger than the philatelic audience.

As long as the items are 1) bought and 2) kept, USPS is happy, and justifiably so.

Even if the goal were to swell the ranks of long-term stamp collectors - a fact not in evidence - they'd have to draw that swelling from outside the ranks of stamp collectors. They've already got us, right?

But the real goal is to tap into, for example, the Elvis River of Cash (a steady U$D 55m year)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothy...celebrities/

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who drank Southern Comfort, straight from the bottle, just to get a piece of her heart)
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5828 Posts
Posted 01/04/2015   5:47 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ikey Pikey

"(who drank Southern Comfort, straight from the bottle, just to get a piece of her heart)".

You've been listening to Janis Joplin's travesty, not Erma Franklin's wondrous original, which involves no ingestion of orange-flavoured linctus.

Regards.

Geoff
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/04/2015   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
GeoffHa: If you think I've got a heathen's taste in music, you ought to see my stamp collection.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/09/2015   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linn's Stamp News has just published a further update on the Right Side Up Jenny Souvenir Sheet here:

http://linns.com/news/breaking-stam...-but-no-more

It is now reported that a total of THREE panes (but no more) of the Upright Jenny Souvenir Sheet have been distributed "free", but that:

Quote:
...the plan was not properly vetted through the organization, and "it would not have been approved as there are legal constraints associated with distributing stamps free of charge."

Just to complicate things even further, the the concluding paragraph states that:

Quote:
...there was no word of how the three panes recently given away, reportedly sealed in blind packaging, were identified as the valuable variety before they were mailed away to the lucky recipients.

The fiasco keeps getting worse!

Edited by wt1 - 01/09/2015 8:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 01/09/2015   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yakboomer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the worst thing about this fiasco is that I was not one of the three.

regards, Theron.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
617 Posts
Posted 01/09/2015   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raymodj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought one sheet from my local PO, and another from the USPS, but via eBay. I wonder if I qualified for the drawing with my eBay purchase?

USPS must be desperate to unload these stamps, but I don't see how giving away 3 "error" sheets to PEOPLE WHO ALREADY BOUGHT THE STAMPS is going to drive sales. The lotto stamps are old news, so I can't imagine this gets much media coverage other than from companies like Linns.

The USPS just needs to go the honest route and print scratch off stamps. 3 Nixons gets you 48 cents, 3 Trumans gets you $5, 3 Lincolns $500 and 3 Washingtons $5000. Since the USPS doesn't want to actually deliver letters, make them invalid if cancelled. Of course then the USPS would have to make sure that stamps actually get cancelled, but that's a whole other story.

Edited to include only dead presidents. Let's at least try to keep that tradition somewhat intact.
Edited by raymodj - 01/09/2015 8:33 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/09/2015   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... The USPS just needs to go the honest route and print scratch off stamps. 3 Nixons gets you 48 cents ...

Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 01/11/2015   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Unhinged to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect USPS knows the location of more uninvert sheets, and that they stopped at three give-aways only because it raised too many legal issues. Which means fewer in the wild, and may also reflect a well-planned campaign from the start.

Apparently the other two lucky recipients desire, for the moment, to remain anonymous, but USPS must know who they are. Based on recent sales prices, they just gave away a gift worth $50,000.

I noted the idea apastuszak posted above, to go Farley on this, but that would really upset all the folks who played the Jenny lotto game. Can USPS afford to upset them? Would they ever be trusted again?

Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/11/2015   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can USPS afford to upset them? Would they ever be trusted again?

The USPS is not trusted now.

The USPS put together this promotion without any public announcement.

The USPS lied to the public about the 100 uninverted Souvenir Sheets being placed at random in the overall printing (as they now had to admit they kept at least three out from the 100 for this so-called promotion).

At least one of the USPS staff is being called on the carpet because the promotion was "not fully vetted" by the USPS organization as there are legal issues involved with the USPS "giving away" any stamps (Uninverted Jenny or any other stamp for that matter).

Beyond all of the above, one has to wonder if the USPS has any "extra" Uninverted Panes that they have to keep on hand to replace any that may have been damaged in the mail or for any "not yet announced" future promotion.

The bottom line is that the reputation of the USPS has been hurt more than it has been helped by the entire situation.
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
Posted 01/11/2015   5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knuppster59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This whole thing is a joke. Might as well just be a pack of baseball cards where you have in a 1/50 chance of getting an autograph or something. Plus who even buys $2 stamps?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 8,712Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05