Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USPS "Gives Away" Right Side Up Jenny Souvenir Sheet

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 8,715Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 01/11/2015   9:20 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We may find out, but I sort of doubt they retained any for exchanges.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3538 Posts
Posted 01/12/2015   05:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are made to order or created rarities as valuable as or as respected as accidental or unintentional ones?
Pillar Of The Community
1849 Posts
Posted 01/12/2015   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kevin504 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jogil....no.
"Philatelic" mail is not consider the same as "regular" mail
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/12/2015   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Are made to order or created rarities as valuable as or as respected as accidental or unintentional ones? ...

One hesitates to look at the prices being paid for The Jenny Contrivance, and think that the valuation would be even higher if only the error were unintentional.

OTOH, a genuine error would enlarge the bidder pool so, to a first approximation, I suppose the answer must be 'yes, intention positively impacts valuation' of an EFO.

Respect?

As many of us remember, once upon a time, the US Bureau of Engraving & Printing would routinely honor (read: ingratiate itself with) a prominent American stamp collector by bestowing favors from its shop, including essays & proofs that were a) government not-to-be-gifted property, and b) not otherwise available to the public.

Q/ Has anyone here refused to purchase an essay or proof because of its FDR provenance?

The majority opinion seems to be that we are glad that a stamp collector was in a position to pry this stuff loose from the BEP, period, so let the feeding frenzy begin.

If respect is delayed, an as-yet-unrealized capital gain awaits every early buyer.

Collectors focus on their collectibles, eh?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/16/2015   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The more this issue gets pressed, the worse it gets -- at least based on these sample quotes from the news article linked below:

http://linns.com/news/editorial-ins...-better-luck

Quotes from Mark Saunders of the USPS, as taken from the above linked article:

Quote:
"A portion of the 100 [uninverted souvenir sheets] are kept at a central location with our stamp services group to fulfill online, phone and mail orders."

"The uninverted sheets were distributed to post offices with high-volume customer traffic to increase the possibility of purchases of the sheets,"

And this final comment from Charles Snee of Linn's Stamp News:

Quote:

Although the names of the lucky trio were selected at random, the three sheets were deliberately set aside for this purpose.

Would you call that random? Neither would we.
Edited by wt1 - 01/16/2015 6:55 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
Posted 01/16/2015   7:11 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So those of us buying from small post offices likely never had a chance to find one of the unverts to begin with.

B*stards.

I originally was a fan of the entire "lottery" aspect of this sheet's release, but the more that comes out about it, the more it seems like the whole thing weas rigged, and the more it stinks like last week's diapers.

While the mass media may never become aware of the whole mess and those responsible for this farce likely will never be held accountable, the USPS may wind up destroying any ounce of credibility or benefit of the doubt it had been given... In this case, I'd *LOVE* to sic some Congressional oversight pit bulls on their azzes just for an ounce of comeuppance.

I repeat: B*stards.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2724 Posts
Posted 01/16/2015   8:55 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last weeks diapers indeed.
Pillar Of The Community
1515 Posts
Posted 01/17/2015   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jenny2U to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One right side up Jenny was purchased at a PO in Waverly, N.Y (by Art Van Riper). This hardly seems like a post office with high-volume customer traffic The post office had a total of 45 inverted Jenny sheets.
Valued Member
United States
44 Posts
Posted 01/17/2015   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Unhinged to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"We are not providing the names of those post offices or the numbers of the uninverted sheets at Stamp Fulfillment Services as doing so would compromise the integrity of the system."

Priceless.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
788 Posts
Posted 01/18/2015   06:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acanalizo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Surely a dirty diaper that lingers on and on!

Albert
Pillar Of The Community
1418 Posts
Posted 01/18/2015   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Priceless.
Yes. If the distribution had been truly random, then they would not have a list of the post offices the sheets went to!
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/18/2015   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... If the distribution had been truly random, then they would not have a list of the post offices the sheets went to! ...

I am not certain that this is entirely true.

I can keep a list of pseudo-randomly-selected zip codes ...

SETI records staggering amounts of effectively-random white noise ...

PC-linked Geiger counters record effectively-random nuclear decay ...

Time for a non-random end to this list?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/18/2015   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One right side up Jenny was purchased at a PO in Waverly, N.Y (by Art Van Riper). This hardly seems like a post office with high-volume customer traffic

Linn's reported a RSU Jenny was purchased in Allenton, Wisconsin (pop. 843). It's hard to believe that location could be considered a post office with "high-volume customer traffic" either.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
987 Posts
Posted 01/19/2015   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TinMan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There always seems somebody has to complain. I wonder if they are not jealous. Just because they were not the one chosen to get the free desired pane. I mean the man spent $219,000 trying to get one. I think he deserved it. I know my comment is going to (miss) somebody off or stir up a can of worms. But that is just my opinion.
I collect U.S. Singles, Se-Tenants, Souvenir sheets and Canadian Singles.
Edited by TinMan - 01/19/2015 08:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3563 Posts
Posted 01/19/2015   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jhlovell to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly would have been nice to know that they were going to lotterize one of the unverts from the stamp fulfillment center. I daresay I would have bought a couple just as I did from my local post office. But not having a chance is not right!
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 8,715Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05