Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Laos -Local -Pathet Lao Stamp Set

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 6,833Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1572 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Continue from previous post:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by LaoPhil - 04/16/2021 02:04 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36809 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work Eli !

Your Page, thanks, only have a Monochrome Laser.
Stamps a bit skewed , but protected and have Information,
I am happy with this.

Thanks to Jos Sanders for the stamps.

Laos
Plain of Jars Air Sheet. CTO.
Edited by rod222 - 04/16/2021 6:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1572 Posts
Posted 04/16/2021   11:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your Page, thanks, only have a Monochrome Laser.
Stamps a bit skewed , but protected and have Information,
I am happy with this.

Great page, Rod222!! Happy you have the stamps together with the information.

About the stamp skewing from the frame, when you print a PDF file, please, unmark "Shrink oversized pages to paper size", and unmark "Expand small pages to paper size" in your printer dialogue box. Mark "None" (or "Don't Fit") under "Page Scaling" in your printer instructions and set the page to "A4" under "Page Setup".

The Lao Plain of Jars sheet is beautiful. I of course like the early engraved stamps of the Kingdom of Laos and actually they encouraged me to collect Lao stamps. During the civil war, the Pathet Lao issued a set of banknotes in addition to stamps. Here is one shows fighting in the Plain of Jars:
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36809 Posts
Posted 04/17/2021   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eli,
a little off thread topic
I have long appreciated another banknote (probably supplied by you)
the 100 kip banknote of the painting by Marc Leguay.
A beautiful piece of artwork

Initially met when I was beginning my journey into Philately
with our mutual friend from Denmark, the late Ms Anne-Mette Heindorff
She did a beautiful page of Laos, with extensive assistance from your good self.

Edited by rod222 - 04/17/2021 01:14 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1266 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to LaoPhil and others for the great info in this thread - helped ID a set of the 3 women recently acquired. Could someone be so kind as to give a CV from SG or Michel for this set?

Edit - Ignore request please - found Michel CV of 38 Euros online.

Thanks, Greg
Edited by gmot - 01/31/2022 3:16 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36809 Posts
Posted 08/13/2022   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Have we lost a thread on LAOS postage stamps?

My album shows I have posted at least 6 pages of Laotian stamps,
but dashed if I can find them.

Did not want to start a similar thread.

I do not see a general thread on Laotian postage stamps
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1572 Posts
Posted 08/24/2022   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have we lost a thread on LAOS postage stamps?

My album shows I have posted at least 6 pages of Laotian stamps,
but dashed if I can find them.

Did not want to start a similar thread.

I do not see a general thread on Laotian postage stamps

This thread?

http://goscf.com/t/36021
Edited by LaoPhil - 08/24/2022 1:00 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36809 Posts
Posted 08/24/2022   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This thread?

That's the one !

Wow! I had searched every where

Thanks Eli
Edited by rod222 - 08/24/2022 11:56 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1572 Posts
Posted 10/21/2022   08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After more than two decades that I collect Laos as my main collection, I added today the very rare FDC issued for the 1974 Pathet Lao stamps (Vieng Xai issue);

The inscription on the postmark means Department of Communication:

Although this thread is under "Cinderella" title, the stamps discussed in this thread are real postage stamps, listed in most leading catalogues.
Edited by LaoPhil - 10/21/2022 11:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1572 Posts
Posted 10/22/2022   05:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed the cover Barhata posted on 1/12/2015 is invisible, at list in my computer. So here is a cover from my collection franked with the first discussed stamps:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6128 Posts
Posted 10/23/2022   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To new collectors and new readers ,important point that you need to understand ,is that these PATHET LAO were being issued at the same time as the regular Laos government was issueing regular postage stamps .

This will give you a understanding why I stated they were Cinderella stamps and most likely issued by a group looking to raise money thru a stamp dealer dumping them on the market ,a lot of cancel covers were being manufactured for the stamp trade ,even the PATHET LAO cancels were the same as those Laos " government" cancels .....so make your own decsion if these are real.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6856 Posts
Posted 10/23/2022   09:37 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Let me quote from SG:

"Despite their commemorative nature, the above [ie the Neutralist Govt issue] served as a definitive issue over a considerable period. They were first placed on sale at Xieng Khouang, but were later on sale in other places. They had validity and were accepted throughout the country."
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1572 Posts
Posted 10/23/2022   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Floortrader: To new collectors and new readers ,important point that you need to understand ,is that these PATHET LAO were being issued at the same time as the regular Laos government was issueing regular postage stamps .

This will give you a understanding why I stated they were Cinderella stamps and most likely issued by a group looking to raise money thru a stamp dealer dumping them on the market ,a lot of cancel covers were being manufactured for the stamp trade ,even the PATHET LAO cancels were the same as those Laos " government" cancels .....so make your own decsion if these are real.

You are correct about the nature of these stamps. The Neutralist Government, that controlled the northern area of Laos, declared themselves as the legitimate government hence, they issued these stamps as same style of the Kingdom stamps, with inscription "Kingdom of Laos" and postmarks just as a sign of independence and not for postal use. Until June 1962 they were available in their controlled area, but from June 1962, after the establishment of the coalition government included all political wings of Laos, they were accepted by the Kingdom of Laos as part of the coalition agreement and were available throughout Laos.

Today, most leading catalogues, like SG and Michel, listed them and recognize them as real postage stamps. Indeed, they were rarely used, but there are few examples of real usage of them.
Edited by LaoPhil - 10/23/2022 4:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1572 Posts
Posted 10/25/2022   03:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, there are covers franked with 1961 PL stamps cancelled with bogus first day postmark. I have one cover like this:

Here are the real postmark (right) versus the bogus postmark (left):
Edited by LaoPhil - 10/25/2022 03:39 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 6,833Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05