Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mutawakelite Kingdom Of Yemen

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 2,324Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
4 Posts
Posted 01/12/2015   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ewest18234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am looking for a catalog that list the stamps for Yemen as shown in the image. Any help is appreciated.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5467 Posts
Posted 01/12/2015   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They're included in Gibbons' Middle East catalogue, but I'd have thought that any general world catalogue would include them, as SG's Stamps of the World does. This was a Royalist civil war issue that appeared after the new Imam was overthrown in 1963. Catalogued at 2.20 in 2010.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
554 Posts
Posted 01/12/2015   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1193 Posts
Posted 01/13/2015   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two in the set, also with black overprint and a miniature sheet in red or black. Any imperforate copies are probably cut from the miniature sheet.
Valued Member
Netherlands
78 Posts
Posted 01/13/2015   05:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Damian to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The german Michel catalogue also covers these stamps.
Valued Member
United States
111 Posts
Posted 07/27/2019   5:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jb100056 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can not find this in Scott.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5936 Posts
Posted 07/27/2019   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott does not consider them legitimate.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31669 Posts
Posted 07/29/2019   03:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Produced by the Prince of Conde.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3056 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've finally got round to sorting out my MK Yemen civil war stamps and I'm left with one large sheet of 15 stamps to identify.

This seems to be the same as the sheet from the "The Life of Christ" issue for the anniversary of the Imam's mission to Pope Paul VI but with two changes:

- each stamp is overprinted "CHRISTMAS 1970"

- "CHRISTMAS 1970" is also overprinted twice in both the left and bottom margins.

Here are three stamps from the bottom left:

This set is too late to be mentioned in the SG Appendix list but can anyone confirm whether there is any information on it in Michel or another catalogue?
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31669 Posts
Posted 02/24/2021   10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nigel,
Michel 1969 25th May
Your stamps code ud, uc, ub
Airmail
set of 5
Overprinted "CHRISTMAS 1970"
Michel # 692A, 691A, 690A

MiNos 678-692 were printed se-tenant in sheets of 15 (5x3)
Arabic and Roman Value Numerals

Italian, Arabic, French and English inscription on the miniature sheet margin of the cut issues.
Edited by rod222 - 02/24/2021 10:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
871 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   01:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philatarium to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Rodney:

I'm wondering if the stamps you've identified are perhaps the underlying stamps, but that the set overprinted for Christmas 1970 is Michel 1099-1128. (It's too late in the day here for me to figure out which specifically are the three that Nigel has shown.)

For the record, I am genuinely not trying to double-check your work. Just to exercise my own Trucial States/Michel sleuthing skills, I had begun work on this before dinner, and before your post, and was just getting back to it now.

My source here is the German-language Michel Naher Osten 2013. If your English-language version does not mention these stamps, I'm thinking this might be one of those outlying areas where the later edition tries to fill in the details a little bit.

And as you can see, this was not a deep dive by Michel, but rather a bit of a sketch by them to try to at least acknowledge the issues:

But I'll happily defer to your and Nigel's expertise in this area. (And Nigel's language skills!)

-- Japan, Korea, Trucial States, Swiss booklets & more on HipStamp: https://www.hipstamp.com/store/the-philatarium

long-term member: American Philatelic Society, Int'l Society for Japanese Philately, & others
Edited by Philatarium - 02/25/2021 01:15 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31669 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dave,
always welcome checking
Thanks.
Here is my resource. Bottom Row First 3 stamps.
15, 14, and 13 Bogache

You can just see the "Christmas" Opt on the 13 Bogache

Edited by rod222 - 02/25/2021 02:34 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31669 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave,
I see your point
Michel 1099 suggests the entire set with Christmas Letterpress Overprint.

Perhaps Michel used those images for the 678 > set

or, are they referring to the Marginal Inscriptions?

Confusing at best, glad you brought it up.
Edited by rod222 - 02/25/2021 02:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3056 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much guys!

I think we're making great progress.

I had focused so much on the overprint that I hadn't realised some basic aspects of these stamps:

- There seem to be 30 different designs, split over two sheets.

- The stamps are split into 10 postage and 20 airmail.

Here's the same bottom left section of my only other sheet like this.

This has a few differences:

- Values are 16 to 30 bogdaches (rather than 1 to 15 bogdaches)

- These are all airmail (rather than the first ten postage and the rest airmail)

- No overprints on the stamps or in the margins

- CTO rather than mint

Both sheets are perforated.

I'd guess then based on your info that I may have two Michel blocks corresponding to:

Mi 693A-707A CTO

(assuming A = perf, taking the next 15 numbers for the 16-30 bogdaches sheet from the English language catalogue and the image is from the later set as Rod has suggested)

Mi 999A-1013A mint

(assuming that A = perf and the numbers from the German language catalogue)

Does this look reasonable?
Nigel
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31669 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nigel,
the entire page may assist.

Edited by rod222 - 02/25/2021 07:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3056 Posts
Posted 02/25/2021   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod!

That's very helpful.

I see that Michel don't give separate listings for these complete sheets with BL (block) numbers.

More importantly, I do like the Michel approach of showing every design, especially that their images are now in colour.
Nigel
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 2,324Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05