Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mosquito Nets & Fishing Nets

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3977 Posts
Posted 11/24/2019   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Issued 19730402 to honor Nigeria's Argungu Fishing Festival.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhabor_Emokpae ... (designer) Erhabor Ogieva Emokpae, OON, (9 May 1934 16 February 1984) was a renowned Nigerian sculptor, muralist, graphic artist and painter who is regarded as one of the pioneers of modern arts in Nigeria.

My guess is that this cover was put thru a mail-opening machine that took a sliver off of the top ... of the envelope and the stamp ... but one can never rule-out a hand job.

According to the corner, Gulf Oil Company (Nigeria) Limited was the proud owner of Private Mail Bag 2469, which makes me wonder:

- how many private mail bags there were, or

- whether they just picked a number they liked, or

- if the bag was an upgrade for their once-regular box, or ???

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Argungu Fishing Festival
Catalog codes:
Michel NG 285 II Y
Stamp Number NG 303
Yvert et Tellier NG 293B
Stanley Gibbons NG 302
Issued on: 1973-04-02
Perforation: comb14
Printing: Offset lithography
Watermark: no watermark
Face value: 30 Nigerian kobo
NSP & M Co Ltd 6 mm long and ending under the "N" in ARGUNGU.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Brazil
275 Posts
Posted 12/03/2019   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rigel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aruba

handicrafts

2v.

The stamp depicts a hand made net for fishing

Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2884 Posts
Posted 01/01/2020   01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mosquito netting is not often seen on stamps, so this one deserves attention. One in a sheet of four new stamps shows a child protected by densely woven netting. The fight against malaria. Sierra Leone, 2019.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2884 Posts
Posted 01/22/2020   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A densely woven net protects against the attacks of mosquitoes: in the background the village is being sprayed against the insects. 2016 Note the IRC logo.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2884 Posts
Posted 01/24/2020   02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A protective malaria net featured in the Liberian stamp of 2006. It is, of course, much more densely woven than shown in the sketch.
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
2884 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kris Rascher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) assists countries in their struggle to combat malaria. Child looking through donated net. Vienna, 2009
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3977 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My 1st thought: Crutches. But malaria cripples thru exhaustion, right? So, why crutches?

My 2nd thought: Ah, the legs that fell off of all those dead mosquitoes ... which would make those puddles of mosquito blood.

No, that can't be right.

But the word "puddles" eventually worked its magic, the penny dropped, and I saw past the trees to the forest phragmites to the swamp.

And, then, I saw the netting.

I've taken a quick jaunt thru other Moroccan stamps of the time, and did not see any other irregular hatchwork backgrounds ... so, mosquito netting it is!

The FDC comes with a nice thermographic mosquito in the cachet, but that is the sort of detail that is rarely picked up properly in a scan.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05