Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Magical Mystery Postcard #4

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,482Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/03/2015   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Magical Mystery Postcard #4

"Hello Clara, Why don't you come down & see your little () niece. She's a dandy ..." No mystery there.

But what is that string-tied rectangular prism in the center of this postcard?

My first thought was 'sarcophagus', but that does not fit the birth narrative.

Or, perhaps it is a Xmas greetings card, tied to a brick, and tossed thru your window by your local loan shark, who is hoping you'll remember to go easy on the gifts, so's you can make your vig come January?

Or, perhaps it is that ever-re-gifted fruit cake, so dry that it is now as hard as a brick, so it can be be tied to a Xmas greetings card, and tossed thru your window ...

In the immortal words of I. M. J. deCooke: "I was not trained for this."

For extra credit, why is that hole round? Is it a hole?

Lastly, the easy question: "THREEOAK..."?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

At least the 19071221 cds matches the logo of the Illustrated Post Card Company (1905-1914):

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3815 Posts
Posted 02/03/2015   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Origin postmark is Three Oaks, Mich (one word or two depending on the era)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by John Becker - 02/03/2015 9:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 02/03/2015   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess would be fruit cake, which I happen to like, by the way. I don't know why people are always dissing the fruit cake. Probably not as good as my Mom's!
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 02/03/2015   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The message in the postcard reads:

Quote:
Hello Clara,

Why don't you come down and see your little wee niece. She's a dandy.

A Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you all.

Verna

As for the picture, I think you're right -- it's supposed to be a fruit cake.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 02/04/2015   01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Origin postmark is Three Oaks, Mich (one word or two depending on the era) ...

Well done, John; thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1138 Posts
Posted 02/04/2015   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PoStat4evR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is yet another possibility on the "cake". Most "Fruit cakes" do not come frosted. I don't recall any ever frosted, but I led a sheltered life. Another possibility would be a "Christmas Pudding Cake". They always came frosted. You can still get these in some places, they come in a round container (now) and need to be steamed, when done, taken out of the container, turned over and frosted (usually with rum butter frosting). Just saying........
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1251 Posts
Posted 02/04/2015   3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Horamkhet to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi to all,

The frosting would he Royal Icing on top of Almond Icing, which is the traditional way to ice Christmas Cakes. I do it all the time.

Horamakhet
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 1,482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05