Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

KeVII Board Of Education? If So, Rare But Worthless

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 6,238Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6693 Posts
Posted 02/20/2015   1:15 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cjd

Didn't Mr Scott actually produce some forgeries? Perhaps he was photographing his own stock ...

Geoff
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Denmark
435 Posts
Posted 02/20/2015   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicalStamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff,

Samuel Allen Taylor (1862-1892) produced forgeries based on the electrolytes from the Scott catalog. They are among the most crude you can imagine - worse than Spiro!
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
Posted 02/20/2015   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polimom to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
scotzm said:
Quote:
Most of your stamps are to some extent sub-standard... either in colors or cancellations etc so the possibility arises that they were test overprinted on lesser quality stamps.
End Quote

Yes, I noticed the same thing, at least about the cancelled stamps. They were altogether with some others that, while they do not have overprints, are also somehow flawed. I wish I had the full story.

Maybe I'll add them to my growing collection of forged Barquitos. And yes, maybe I will also write this bunch up for publication someplace eventually.

Did anybody notice that several of them looked as if the overprint itself was almost 3-dimensional? I used a very good macro lens to make the images, and I wonder now about the way the overprint almost seems to be sitting atop the stamp. It's very noticeable (at least to me) on the first two 1/2 penny Office of Works stamps that I uploaded last night.

Would that be a signal of a forgery?
United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Meddler101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi, sorry to re open a dinosaur post but I could do with your expert opinion please.

I used to collect stamps as a kid and now at 49 I have dusted off the old albums for some reason and got back into the game. I have come across this Edward VII Board of Education overprint of the 1s.

I've seen the previous posts re the overprint text but to my untrained (and Colour-blind) eye it's hard for me to make a call. What do you guys think?

thanks
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1886 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgery: type is much to thin.

Your picture is to fuzzy, but the letters also appear rather unsharp, which should not be the case.

(edit: added "not" as sharp should be the case in genuine overprints).

Look at the very first picture posted in this thread. At least, someone made an effort. It is a fake as well, but the font is much closer to what it should be.
Edited by NSK - 08/07/2022 1:00 pm
United Kingdom
2 Posts
Posted 08/07/2022   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Meddler101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the insight. As I say I'm a bit rusty so I appreciate your input.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 6,238Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05